Recurring Wrist Pain

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Ritchieminton, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Ritchieminton

Ritchieminton New Member

Hello, I am an advanced badminton player who has been experiencing some wrist pain recently. The injury occurred before Christmas and I was told to take a 2 month break. I did, and after 2 months of more badminton, it seems as if the pain is starting to come back. It has not become very painful yet though. I experience a small amount of pain after gripping something hard or playing badminton. The pain only occurs in my radio-carpal joint when I perform a radial deviation of the wrist. Some additional information includes the weird fact that my wrist can pop at any given time by doing a radial ulnar deviation. I can also "pop" my wrist out when doing certain movements. None of these movements hurt but concern me in the way that something is wrong with my tendons. Anyone out there with info?

2. T.O.P

T.O.P Regular Member

It could be your racket too heavy for you ? Did you change any head heavy racket before your wrist pain started ?

3. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hi there,

When you were told to rest for 2 month, did you go for a wrist examination and imaging earlier with a doctor? A recurring wrist pain indicates that the underlying problem has not fully healed and therefore if it is allow to continue then likely it can become chronic.

Your priority now is to establish a correct diagnosis (if not being done yet) by visiting an orthopaedic doctor or sports medicine physician) through detail wrist examination and imaging investigation (baseline x ray or MRI etc). Since the causes for your wrist pain can"t be established just from symptoms alone despite how detailed you can described about it, establishing the correct diagnosis can outline the correct plan of management to treat your wrist problem.

At this present moment, if you stll experience pain then it is advicable to take a break and treat your recurring wrist pain. It is better to not to play badminton now while treating your wrist problem rather than not able to play comfortably in long run in the future.

SS

visor likes this.
  4. toddchaney

toddchaney New Member