REVIEW: Li Ning A60

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by Charlie-SWUK, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Li Ning A60
    Li Ning lists the A60 shuttle as a 'training quality' shuttle with a plywood head and goose feathers. I tested a speed 78 in mid autumn. It should be noted that these shuttles ship in an extra long tube, giving you 15 shuttles as against 12.

Price paid: £13.29 per tube (15 shuttles)

Country sourced: United Kingdom

Source of purchase: http://www.directbadminton.co.uk/index.aspx
    IMG_0513.jpg
    IMG_0512.jpg

Flight quality: 5/10
    While a new shuttle will fly straight, I doubt it'll continue to do so for long as the durability is a big problem with these shuttles. Out of the tube these shuttles were too fast for a 78, and this probably stems from how light they feel overall.

That said these shuttles are head heavy; they'll self right quickly because all of the weight seems to be in the cork.The feathers are somewhat flimsy, and probably don't create the necessary resistance or counterbalance required from a high grade shuttle. This means that control at the net is somewhat marred by the shuttle, but it also suffers in the rear court due to improper speed ratings.

Durability: 3/10
    Argh. As you can see by the photos, this shuttle has very thin feathers. It's evident in games too, because it's a given you'll snap the feathers quickly enough. Compared with their higher range shuttles, the A60 doesn't hold a candle. As it also self rights quite quickly, you can probably expect to catch more of the feathers than you usually would.

This combination of factors results in durability being poor. Typically, a shuttle may last up to around 1 game - if you're lucky. If you're playing doubles, expect to go through a few of them.

Cork quality: 2/10
    Well, at least they're upfront about the cork. It's plywood as it states. What more is there to say on this really? It didn't really have issues with deformation but I'm not sure if that's the cork being better quality than the feathers, or just the feathers breaking before the cork takes a real beating.

IMG_0512.jpg

Overall shuttle quality: 3.3/10
    This is marketed as a training shuttle, but I struggle to see how; given how quickly feathers break on these shuttles.. Unless you buy new tubes of shuttles for every session, this isn't viable. It's not even particularly viable for amateurs because again - the durability simply doesn't meet a standard.

Overall shuttle value: 3/10
    I guess if you play once in a blue moon and don't really care for your shuttles these might be acceptable to buy.. But honestly there are better shuttles available for the money, I'd much sooner recommend the Ashaway 450 Blacks over these for a similar cost - albeit for a few less shuttles. With the rate they break at, these shuttles aren't really anything remotely special.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It sounds like you were using these shuttles for games rather than multishuttle training.

3. seagame2001

seagame2001 Regular Member

CNC
    This kinda just for training only not for game at all

4. Thompson

Thompson Regular Member

Supervisor Pharmaceutical Industry
    Tubes of 15 shuttles? Never seen those. Could you make a picture?

5. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    We only use used shuttles for multifeed training, as in we'll use a shuttle for maybe 1 game and then put it into our boxes of training shuttles - provided it's still flight worthy. The damage these shuttles took
    often made them unworthy of even being a multifeed shuttle.

Even in training situations, I don't think they'd have lasted very long. If you want a training shuttle you want durability. You're better off buying something with a thick duck feather; while you compromise a little on flight, you'd get a much more durable shuttle for training.

Anyway, I tested these in some drills and games, but not multifeeds, the same way I test other shuttles.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Given that price, I think it is ambitious to use them for games. I would stick them straight into the multifeed shuttle group and not be using them for smashes.

7. gundam40

gundam40 Regular Member

I agree with Charlie's assessment. I only use these for training, and even then, one mishit and the feathers will break, which means into the garbage most of the time. Granted I'm only a beginner, but I think it is still a better deal to spend more on better shuttles which last a lot longer for training.

8. Arradon

Arradon Regular Member

Hard to use google?

I used this shuttles for a tournament match and few trenings, 2 tubes. Never again... Much better RSL No.4, really much better. Waste of money. I never used so bad shuttles.

9. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Well funnily enough I've got a tube of RSL No.4s in my bag. They're ok-ish thus far, but there's better for the money. We'll see how testing these goes.

10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

What about the "Super Series" or "Grand Prix Gold" shuttles from Li-Ning? How do they compare to the A300s or A60s? The price looks very interesting - even when bought directly inside Germany.

11. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Haven't used them yet.

12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I just ordered one tube of the A300 and one tube of the SuperSeries. I'm really curious to test both.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I was up in China a couple of weeks ago for a doubles match. We used RSL no.3 and I swear they were better than No.1's. My opponent was an Ex-China province player and we had some serious rallies. Unfortunately I didn't do a count but I think we only got through a tube of shuttles over the three games.

14. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Seriously? I tested some of the No.4s last night, the first few out of the tube wobbled a bit, but none after that; they just had normal degradation. Feathers were duck maybe, I'd need to check.
    [MENTION=113405]s_mair[/MENTION] I still haven't found shuttles I like more than the A300. The durability on them is just incredible. I don't seem to ever get split feathers (cracking down the centre), I just seem to get gradual fraying at the tips of the feathers where strings have caught them a bit. Let us know how the Grand Prix shuttles go though, those were also on my list to try.

Truth is I needed another tube of shuttles to put me into the free delivery margin and the Grand Prix shuttles were just a little too cheap to achieve that, so I bought the A60s instead. :D

15. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I ordered the SuperSeries in the end. They had almost the same price as the GrandPrix but seem to be made of higher quality feathers. I will give a short feedback how they perform compared to the A300s

16. gundam40

gundam40 Regular Member

A friend brought a tube of the A9 GPG shuttles, and when we used two of them, flight was bad and slowed too much. Also, it wobbled quite a bit on the first one. I think she ended up just using it for training instead of games.

17. Thompson

Thompson Regular Member

Supervisor Pharmaceutical Industry
    I think only RSL Tourney Classic and RSL Tourney 1 (gold) are goose feather. And ofcourse Ultimate and Supreme but I have never seen those in real life.

18. necrohiero

necrohiero Regular Member

Student
    Does this doesn't even compare to as10? I am planning to buy a bit of them.. But still confused A300 is just.. Too expensive.

Well.. Let's see