Saina Nehwal : साइना नेहवाल

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by scorpion1, Jan 14, 2013.

1. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

[MENTION=7]Cheung[/MENTION]
    The majority of Indian badminton players have just one coach. These players remain district, state or national players as a result. There are some talented players who can’t afford one and get lost by the system. There are a few exceptions like Anand Pawar taught by his father Uday Pawar. Jwala Gutta with SM Arif but she benefited from Indonesian coach Hady Sugianto when she was 16. Vimal Kumar hired him for doubles players when he was national coach.

The Indian players who have access to the elite academies, represent a minority of Indian badminton players. This is the norm in all Badminton Powerhouse nations. Naturally, they would all have more than one coach and none would have just one coach during their career.

Note:
    1.Prakash Padukone Badminton Academy
    2.Pullela Gopichand Badminton Academy

The above 2 are elite badminton academies and don’t take total beginners. You have to be a highly talented player or medal winner to get in. Their scouts find you, a good student can’t go direct to them. They have a limited number of seats so many talented players have to join other academies. The exceptions are Gopichand’s son and daughter, Mukesh Kumar’s daughter.
    Gopichand has junior coaches to teach his kids, he spends sometime with them but has too many students who need his mentoring. As more talented kids are found he will find it difficult to give his time to everyone.

Saina demanding more time from her coach, should be understood in this context.
    Saina evolving as a badminton player through different coaches benefits her and Indian badminton. :)

2. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

#942 Baddyforall, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  3. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

4. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    Her post 2012 deal with RSM was 40 crore, around 7-8 million in 2012 money.

5. Baddyforall

http://http://www.dailyo.in/sports/saina-nehwal-carolina-marin-world-badminton-championships-jakarta-ios-vimal-kumar-rio-olympics-2016/story/1/5818.html

Excerpts:

Stop mocking: Saina Nehwal's as good as gold for India

There is no shame in losing a final. There is certainly no shame in returning with a silver medal from the biggest of world stages. Thanks Saina Nehwal for giving us a proud moment and becoming the first from the country to achieve this phenomenal feat!

Cynics, however, will harp on Saina's fragility in winning major events, and even point to her new "mental block" in overcoming Spanish wonder girl Carolina Marin. They will jolly well forget that Saina has an Olympic medal. They will judge without analysing her impact on Indian and international sport.

When I congratulated Saina after her return from Jakarta, I could see she has got her old fire back. Having closely followed Saina's evolution from a reticent teen shuttler with boyish haircut, less on talent but burning with desire to be the best, to becoming a Chinese nemesis and ushering in a revolution in sport in India, I can say that it is her mental strength and perseverance that has taken her so far.

Here's why her recent feat needs to be acknowledged. The badminton world championships started in 1977 and no Indian before her - not even the legendary Prakash Padukone and Pullela Gopichand - had ever reached the final of the elite event. Indian shuttlers had only claimed four bronze medals, starting with Padukone in 1983.

Also read: Saina Nehwal, being second best won't cut it for India

This time around, Saina has broken a barrier, the way she has always done in her career. Just to illustrate the quirky nature of sport, let me here refer to the venerable shuttler Morten Frost. From winning the prestigious All England title four times to being the World No 1 for a long haul, the Dane dominated the sport like a champion. But he could never become a "world champion". Twice he lost in the finals of the IBF world championships, which unfortunately for him was held every three years then unlike every year, except an Olympic year, now. Does it make him a lesser mortal? No. He is remembered for the way he and Padukone challenged the Chinese surge in the sport in the '80s.

No individual is perfect, and no sportsperson ever will be. Why does our heart beat for Roger Federer even when he loses? Federer is "the all-time best" in tennis. Period. That is the impact Federer has had on tennis. Even if Federer doesn't add to his Grand Slam trophies, he will remain "the best ever" until his genius is surpassed.

Now let me come back to Saina. Hailing from a middle class family, she got into the sport casually as her mother had played at some level and she found it interesting. There was nothing exceptional in her skills as a badminton player. In fact, she is humble enough to admit that she was not naturally talented for the racquet sport, as some other girls of her age. She neither had the deception Indian players are known for nor was she one of the best movers on the court. "I have to keep practicing my strokes because sometimes I forget my strokes. Unfortunately, I am not very good with the wrist like many other talented players so I have to work harder," she once said.

But she was blessed with a quality very rare in Indian sportspersons. She was resolute. She could withstand a storm and still look into her opponents' eye on a badminton court. She was dogged, determined to be the winner. She was a fighter to the core. Over the years, she has built a strong all-around game and genuinely believes that nobody is unbeatable. Her coach in formative years, the renowned SM Arif, knew he was handling a special talent.

6. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
  7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Thanks for the very clear explanation on gurus

8. Nine Tailed Fox

[MENTION=7]Cheung[/MENTION],Sir/Madam i PM you few questions expecting few explainations but unfortunately got nothing from your side.

#948 Nine Tailed Fox, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

What's Saina's thread got to do with this?

With no disrespect, the answers (which are quite self explanatory) are:

1) read the thread

2) do a search

3) depends how idiotic it looks

10. Nine Tailed Fox

I thought your inbox is full and that's why you couldn't get my message.Won't do this next time.

Thanks but that's very ignorant from your side(no disrespect either).

1)I didn't get the reason that's why I asked.There were few words here and there but nothing compared to some which i have read.

2)There is no such specific thread.and the ones specifically created where shut down by you without giving us 'newbies' any link to refer.

3)It's not about idiocy,i don't know how to do Multiple quote nesting yet and there are few problems i face while posting tournament threads.I just wanted to know whether it is allowed or not.

Peace,now.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Again, off topic reply and apologies to other forum members.

3) preview and edit functions can be used. :cool:

If you want it there permanently, again, it depends on how idiotic it looks.

#951 Cheung, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  12. Baddyforall

http://http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/badminton/Saina-Nehwals-success-a-sign-of-badmintons-rise-in-world-sport-BWF/articleshow/48871391.cms

EXCERPTS:

BWF Secretary General Thomas Lund has hailed Indian ace shuttler Saina Nehwal's recent multi-million-dollar contract as a sign of badminton's continued rise to prominence in sport's global commercial industry.

World No.1 Saina will earn an estimated $3.7 million in a two-year deal with sports management group, IOS Sports & Entertainment, who will manage her endorsements, appearances, brand profiling, patents, licensing and digital rights, images and visibility on social networking sites.

"This is a great example for other badminton players of how on-court results can translate to financial rewards. This is the pay-off for working hard on your off-court presence and engaging with media, fans and sponsors," said Lund.

"Just after a match - whether having won or lost - it is often exhausting to face the international media or appear at sponsor activities, but this is what is needed and expected from superstars like Saina. It's not just playing great matches but also exposure like this that builds a player's brand value while promoting the sport.

"Earlier this year she went to Dubai to promote badminton and the Dubai World Superseries Finals and was a hit with fans there. This is one of the aspects which we have been talking to players about in our recent Players' Media Education Programme; about the benefits of projecting a positive image as an athlete and handling their off-court commitments professionally. These are the things that help make them superstars."

"It's a good step for badminton to see superstars like Saina and Lin Dan (China) reaping commercial rewards. It proves the business world is assessing badminton's development and increasing popularity and how it can capitalise on that," he added.

13. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    Saina is the Sharapova/Li Na of this sport. not as successful as WYH/LXR, yet earning more than twice. just like Serena has to share everything with her sis coz of their co-endorsements, looks like the top Chinese girls are eating into each others market

14. Baddyforall

Saina with her earlier days' coaches Govardhan sir and Arif sir.

saina-arif.jpg

Saina with her father and sister.

saina-family.jpg

15. lzhaol

lzhaol Regular Member

I think she deserved so... i mean she literally could fill stadiums during the Indian Badminton League in 2013.

Im not sure LXR/WYH has that kind of influence, besides achievements, they don't really have commercial appeal

16. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    Outside of tennis court, MaSha does draw 10+x crowd more than Rena, but in a court most of MaShas matches are before near/half empty courts, while Rena puts bums on seats all over the world even in R1 /R2 of a mere international event against girls ranked 100+....... Which means commercial appeal has nothing to do with on court, field performance. Looks/Marketability/willingness to put oneself out there/ approachability/candour all matter. Another example could be Ricky Fowler who has a much fatter endorsement portfolio than pros twice/thrice as successful on the golf course... Also Nick Rosberg/Bruno Senna and the like had sponsors behind them even as rookies. Yuvraj Singh over Laxman and NoHit Dharma over Jinxy / ChePu Bradman may be other examples, which show that to marketers on field performances of sportspersons are secondary.

17. lzhaol

lzhaol Regular Member

Saina has commercial appeal mainly because of her results but i agree with majority of your points.

18. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    Although unlike MaSha, Saina, Fowler, NoHit and Nico do draw sizable crowds for their game too.
    Its a real pity that in WTA, other than SW no one draws audiences to the stadiums.
    Sports like cricket and tennis (and even F1 in traditional European circuits) might have much more money than badminton, but we have the Indonesian stadium audiences, where as nearly every WTA event and ATP 250 and 500 and non-Ashes Test is played in front of negligible stadium crowds

19. Baddyforall

Video of Saina presenting her racket to PM Modi

[video=youtube;XA9dB3ckEtw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA9dB3ckEtw[/video]

20. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    Had a cricketer presented his bat, there would have been 100s of mics. our media seriously needs to cover Olympic sports and athletes more. she is #1 in the world for Christ's sake