Shouldn't we actually avoid rackets that are used by pro players?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by SSSSNT, Jun 7, 2024.

1. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

The reason:

1. Pro players, especially male pros, are so much superior to us in technique and power. Therefore, if a racket suits them in a serious tournament, the same racket most certainly is not a great match for us.

2. If a racket that is used by a male pro player suits us well, then the logic follows that this must not be the racket that player actually use. The spec must be very different and therefore, we are just paying lots of $$$ for a racket that looks similar but completely different than the one they use.

ucantseeme likes this.
  2. Bieffe

Bieffe Regular Member

Engineer
    I some what agree with your concept. Especially when it comes to the males.

Just based on age and the consistency and accuracy we are definitely way off. Likely even when they retire, we will only have 10% of their skill set.

So when I get rackets, I take will look for players with some attributes that I think I have sometimes:)

Take LZ, Andosen, LD and LCW. No way I can even take their service! So I will almost never take what they use.

So I usually skew my selection towards smalled female players, usually more suited for me. And I will almost always get 4U. Some females playing 3U!

But this concept don't always hold true. Take the Victor 100X, used by Hasan. Well he is a daddy now....likely not what he will use when he was younger. But this racket suits me and playstyle to a T.

On the other hand, my Princess Shida NF800 Pro, don't really suit me but still playable. Then there is also NF700 used by Intanon. This also ok but not my style. Arcsaber 11 Pro used by ZSW, I didn't like it and sold it.

So really choosing racket just based on players along is not a good idea. Sometime we buy with heart, like my NF800 Pro. If not for Shida, I doubt I will buy it.

Just for case study, my ex Fav racket was 4U Astrox 77. Used by Yamaguchi and HYC, it suit my playing style too. So basically, recreational players should not use stuff used by top end male pros. That's my conclusion. Unless u r a fan.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

SSSSNT likes this.
  3. lurker

lurker Regular Member

why avoid?
    When u get those top tier gears, you will know u are only lacking skills..
    then you focus on your training!!!

/s

Cheung likes this.
  4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Pros racket had more precission but in exchange for demanding to use.
    We casual player, do we really need a hawkeye accuracy? Is it really a matter 1cm tight net vs 1mm on mortal games? I guest not. Could we perform 99% accuracy & consistency that the pros had? Nope, with long experience mortal playing we might had the 1mm tightess but our consistency is just as bad as ever. Im able to do Momota perfect thumbling net few times. Sound good, yeah, but those few times is after maybe few hundred net shot i did & losing point more that those few times.

In the end we all buy just to satisfy our hearth, enjoy our limited life after our hardworks, let loose some stress with our hobby (for this case a badminton sports).
    So back to the main concern.
    Do we actually need the pro grade racket? No. Any racket would do enough, even the low grade one.
    Do we need to avoid it? As long you enjoy it, who are we to blame you when you try to create happiness for yourself (well... As long you could afford it withou robbing a bank & didnt strain yourself to much with the demaning nature of the high end racket).

ubootsg and Bieffe like this.
  5. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

See point #2

Bieffe likes this.
  6. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

Yes, by all means use a tennis racket or even frying pan if it makes our heart happy. I think this goes without saying.

We're talking more in terms of suitability.

7. Cameron01

Cameron01 Regular Member

I reckon pros and their rackets are much more like tennis where each pro’s racket is essentially hand crafted for their player styling but slapped with the paint of whatever racket they endorse. The ones sold to the public are designed for the public to use. If we look at the Astrox 100ZZ, if it was really to Axelsen or SYQ’s spec then it would likely be like using a frying pan for us recreational or non-pro players, therefore the stiffness and balance are probably toned down considerably to make them viable otherwise everyone would be flooding forums and shop sites with bad reviews and complaining that they have to play with the softest string at 23lbs rather than their usual BG80 at 28lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Budi

Budi Regular Member

For example
    88D/S Pro series. Its not overly demanding. Any intermediate with good base tech would just fine with it. Do all intermediate need it? Even the play version is good enough, but if you could afford it, why not. Surely it fill your happinnes & ego but just hurt your pocket. So, not necessary need to be avoided but its not mandatory everyone need to take this path to become a badminton player.

VT ZF other hand. Its difficulty lv is quite high. If one dont have strong body build & good technique its better to be avoided. Even if you could afford it, but it do more harm than just achieving own happiness in long term, unless its just for collection as you are fans of Lindan for example.
    Its even more worrysome seeing a rich dad giving his little kids a high end racket thinking he giving all the best he could afford while the unseen future shows high probability of injury.

Also Ckyew had made a video about what racket the pros use. Not everyone use a custom racket, most of them just play with whatever provided to them. True or not, who care. We all play not because of works or as a proffesion but just a hobby to find happiness in our stressfull life. Do what makes you happy but be wise to the spending & not harming ourself.

webbingmania likes this.
  9. Bieffe

Bieffe Regular Member

Engineer
    Yes the rich daddy syndrome is the worst. Definitely do more harm than good. But can't blame the folks if they only have the best intentions in mind.

I reckon the pro gonna do well with any above average racket.

But what u say is so true. We play to enjoy. So if we feel like LZJ when holding the Rryga then...fantastic! Is this passion that we all have that makes millions for these big companies.

Buying a 1st racket, one need to do due diligence to find what is a most suitable racket. From that point onwards once our technique improves, we buy based mostly with our hearts.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

10. webbingmania

webbingmania Regular Member

I think one of the most important aspect is the stiffness or flex of the shaft.
    Because pro player can hit the smash at more than 400km/h they will need extra stiff shaft, or else the racket will be bending too much before it contact with the shuttle. Making timing and accuracy difficult for them.

As a casual like me :) I will be lucky if can reach 200km/h smash, so medium flex shaft is just about right for me.
    Too stiff and my smash will be too weak, also because I will need to hit harder every shot, by the end of one game I will be very tired. (Tried with stiff shaft racket before)

Bieffe likes this.
  11. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    From my point of view, nowadays you don't have to avoid as they pretty much already do it for you. The rackets that most pros use are usually custom specs of that racket, but with the same paint job. In a way it's totally cheating as you won't actually be getting what they have exactly. Back then, it was better in that companies wouldn't go the extra mile to custom them, but nowadays it's common

12. webbingmania

webbingmania Regular Member

I am just wondering, have anyone build a DIY tool to measure the racket shaft flex before?
    What I understand is the manufacturer will measure the shaft flex during the manufacturing process.
    At the moment all I can do is to try bend the racket when buying and feel the flex against the racket I normally use. No very scientific :p

13. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Is there any proof that beside a few exceptions that all pro players use custom ones? Or just an assumption because a hand full big names said it in a ckyew interview?

I had a source for that please.

14. Cameron01

Cameron01 Regular Member

I believe people have analysed things like string patterns of players which haven’t matched with their endorsed racket e.g LCW’s ZF with a Duora 10 paint job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I'm not talking about a commercial racket in a different paint job for promotion by the biggest names.

16. jerby

jerby Regular Member

From what I gathered there've been 10-15 occasions I've read and seen. In no particular order;
    Old days when Ahsan/mogensen used a custom arcsaber flash boost and taufik an arc-Z with a strange headshape. I've seen Viktor in his Adidas days with a blacked out frame.
    LCW changing from a ZFII to a duora is odd, just like LD changing rackets 1 month before the OG2016

Marin, LZJ, Seo say so themselves. The frameshapes of Watanabe's racket and momotas dont match the commercial version.
    I also know first hand (from some Apacs players) its not massively difficult to make a custom batch.

However, world class is not just top 5 players. There're loads more who do things like:
    - Put some white tape on a racket
    - keep playing with old models
    - switch back to old rackets (like Rankireddy, yonex would love to put the 1000Z in his hands I could imagine, also LZJ, strangely)
    - Use old colour frames (SYQ, why would yonex market this?)
    These things don't really make sense if all world class players use custom made stuff .

Not all pros care as much as some fanboys, to some its just a tool and switching and experimenting just takes time away from practice and continuity. Some just want the newest one because they like the attention from their sponsor.

TLDR
    There's no easy answer, proffesional athletes are a mixed bag

Verstuurd vanaf mijn CPH2247 met Tapatalk

Optiblue and ucantseeme like this.