Side news during OG 08

Discussion in 'Olympics BEIJING 2008' started by huangkwokhau, Jul 21, 2008.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

???...

..Buffet village???..:eek::confused:..Hmm, i didn't know they have a buffet village??..:p..If that's the case, then i'm afraid we'll see some bloated and overweight players coming out and compete...;)
    ..??..who??..:confused:.who could that be??...:confused:

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    maybe that's china's plan, to overweight the foreign athletes with superb chinese foods:D:p

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Team Denmark is ready..

..as reported in badzine.info, team Denmark has been practicing in Hong Kong.
    (article and pics courtesy of badzine.info; pics courtesy of AChan, another BCer:cool:)

http://www.badzine.info/content/view/1208/
    ==========================================================
    OLYMPICS - Team Denmark is ready

[​IMG]
    Some of the greatest European players were training in Hong Kong until this Sunday in order to get used to the weather and jet lag in Asia. They all practice very hard on court and one could see how well-prepared they are for the coming challenging game in Beijing before they fly off on Monday.

By Phyllis Amy, Badzine correspondent in Hong Kong. Photos (live), Anita Chan (Badmintonphoto)

Tine Rasmussen is here, sweating and training hard with the others. She has won 3 Super Series this year, and she’s feeling good about her preparation in Hong Kong : “I get used to the conditions and today (Saturday) was the day I felt best. I definitely feel the humidity and I sweat a lot more when practicing, but it’s ok.”

The #6 seed thinks that the 3 Chinese and the Hong Kong player Wang Chen will be her greatest threats. As from the draw, she will probably meet Wang in the Quarter Final which will be a tough game. “I will get to the third round and looking forward to meet her.” she said. Not only physically, but mentally Tine has done some good homework. “I’ve prepared taking the pressure. The Olympics is so different, it’s an important tournament for everybody and everyone puts pressure on themselves to get far. It’s no difference for me than everybody. And of course, I think the Chinese get lots of pressure as well because of home court.” The lanky Dane pointed out that to play the best badminton is her goal in this game. “I cannot say how far I am going to reach. It’s about reaching the best level and then it can take me far.”

[​IMG]
    In the Men’s Single, Denmark has Peter Gade (photo) and Kenneth Jonassen, who are both seeded in their event. From the beginning of 2008, Peter has badly suffered from injuries and setbacks and he was just gone back to the court in Thomas Cup. “I’m still catching up. There are some ways to go before the form I want to be in the Olympics. In the last few weeks, I worked very hard to gain the last 10% and it’s getting closer now. I have no injuries so far. My form and my performance have improved a lot. My speed and explosiveness are getting better and better. Now I need my game on court to peak at the right time. I have few more days to go, so I believe I can reach a good level before the Olympics.” the top shuttler said. Looking at the draw, Peter will probably play against Japanese player Sato in the second round, who has beaten him in the Thomas Cup and will most likely meet Lin Dan in the Quarter Final. “Of course, Lin is the favorite but I believe I have a chance.” Though the draw looks very difficult for him, the Dane has a clear target. “I’d dream of getting a medal for my country. But still, this is Olympics. If you look at the past Olympics, a lot of strange things happened. I am going to enjoy the games and it’s a good tournament. In the beginning, my target is to go through the Quarter Final. From then on, I cannot expect anything and I have to take one match by one match. This is Olympics and you have to be very careful. I am now focusing on my first game.”

Another giant Dane, Jonassen (photo up), who was missed out in the Thomas Cup because of the back injuries, also felt satisfied with is preparation right now. “It’s coming along and I’m able to practice very hard. I’m pleased with my current form.” In the first round of the match, he will face a Korea’s player Lee Hyun II, which will be a tough game. “Of course it couldn’t be better, but I think it’s also bad for him to meet me. It’s an important game. I would say that there is more pressure on him to make a good tournament.” While talking about his target in this Olympics, the world #5 replies “I’ll see after my first match. If I win that, my target would definitely to get a medal. My chance is evenly good if I won the first match.” He then added, “I’ve played two Olympics before. I don’t have to prove anything anymore. Of course I will go out for the best. If I lost to a better player, it’d be alright. I think winning is not that important for me, so I don’t see much pressure on me but more on other players.”

[​IMG]
    A difficult draw lies ahead in the Men’s Double for Eriksen Jens and Lundgaard Hansen Martin who will play against Fu Haifeng and Cai Yun in the first round. “That will be a tough game for the Chinese too.” said by the tall Danes. Actually they do not have much pressure since this will be the 4th and 3rd time to take part in the Olympics. “I think there is much more pressure on the Chinese.” The experienced Danes added.

Mixed double Juhl/Laybourn (pictured) also were expecting to play in their first olympics and getting the last advices from their coach before D Day.

The preparation of Denmark Team is really good. “We hoped that we’ve top level right now. We still have one week to go before the games and we expected to peak in about 10-12 days.” said Head Coach Steen Pedersen. Even coming across to those “favorites”, “We’ll try our very best to create some upsets.” He added.

The Denmark Team will leave to Beijing on Monday and they are all ready for their game started from the 9th, August.

Wish the best of luck to Denmark Team and get a good result in the Olympics.

The Olympic coverage is brought to you by YONEX

#243 ctjcad, Aug 5, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  4. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Quite a story about the sweetheart leading a cheering squad to the venue.

She might have been there... and that's just about it.
    The part about the crew is very romantic but, at best, anecdotal ;)

Haha... samuel882 wins the point :p

5. Ningtyas

Ningtyas Regular Member

Oh, I don't think its anectodal at all. :)
    As far as I know, Athens olympic is where TH started to know Ami.
    They're not sweetheart yet then.
    Maybe Ami was simply an Indonesian supporter then, and she tried to get as many Indonesians as she could get to support an Indonesian player in his final match. So she took the crews who were not on duties that day, to the final match.
    And Agum Gumelar (Ami's father, then KONI chief) said that Ami with her 'cempreng' voice would yell "Siapa kitaaa (who are we)?" and those crews would answer "In-do-ne-sia!"
    (I think you still can find in those old Athens Olympic forum how a poster wondered how in the final day all of sudden there were many Indonesian supporters!)

This is published in Tabloid Genie. Well, it is a tabloid, but the source for the published story is Agum Gumelar himself.

#245 Ningtyas, Aug 6, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  6. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Never mind the buffet village, McDonald's alone will do 'em in. I reckon it's a CHN ploy to lull the opposition into an unhealthy stupor, and then POUNCE! :cool::D

7. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    REXY even warned his charges for not to eat too much foods at the village:p

8. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Can't you see the psychological games happening? The common theme is "pressure on the Chinese because of home expectations". The DEN players have been well trained to press all the right buttons.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    a couple of comments from players about the new stadium. pretty much unanimously think that the stadium is of very high quality. Eriksen says that it is the best stadium out of the 4 Olympics stadiums he has played in. LCW says the lighting and wind draft are both very good. WCH says he is very satisfied with the stadium. Howard Bach also says very satisfied, esp the lack of any draft in the stadium.

10. volcom

volcom Regular Member

I for one would rarely and I mean rarely ever eat Mcdonalds or Pizza Hut in China even though PIZZA HUT is damn successful in places like Xiamen....
    Mcdonalds is like the lowest quality food for me in China I prefer a bowl of wontons or noodles to that :D.... And the Maccas in China is not as good as overseas anyway so yeah... But KFC is nice except it's actual chicken pieces.... I like the egg tarts and burgers and Orlean Wings :cool:

11. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Yummy...Portuquese egg tart...thats I always get at KFC........:D

12. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Olympics has started with Women Soccer...USA VS NORWAY.....Live on MSNBC

13. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    The ID cost around RMB10,000 each. Its not really tough to get. But then the ID is available for Chinese connections. As many IDs is controlled and have already allocated for each country.

14. ants

ants Regular Member

Yes, all the Chinese fans Adores Taufik. Besides Lindan Taufik is one of their favourite player.

15. ants

ants Regular Member

They are selling special edition Olympic MCD items as well. Btw the Nike Shoe looks ugly.

16. Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther Regular Member

Uni Student
    Aw, cute Bao CL will be sooooo mad!:p

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

A bit off topic:..yeah, i still remember those footages and of Ami cheering. Although, i also remember Taufik going and hugging another femaler supporter, right after he won. I wonder if he was still going out with his prior girlfriend, maybe no longer (ah her name just slipped off my mind):confused::p
    ..well, buffet food could mean "comfort food"..;)
    I hope the players won't be distracted, whilst they're playing, by imagining all the food that will be waiting for them, after their matches have ended..."food, foooood"..:p;)

#257 ctjcad, Aug 6, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  18. ants

ants Regular Member

The players are focused on the task in their hands. They will not simply do anything. They are aware of it.

19. ants

ants Regular Member

Most of the players are amazed by the badminton venue. The Venue is also very photographer friendly. And for those who will be watching the event on t.v... everything will be in HD format.

20. kenny7_2006

kenny7_2006 Regular Member

Working student...
    great! wonder if Astro Malaysia will show it in hi-def tho...