Side support placement

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Gupvis, Nov 29, 2023.

1. Gupvis

Gupvis New Member

Hi guys,

I have a 30+ old dropweight machine and improved the side supports a bit.
    However they have a different shape than the (really shitty) ones which where on the machine.
    It is a machine with arms with holes, so you are a bit limited regarding placement.
    But what is the best place for the side supports?
    Currently I am thinking about 2 grommets up or down (to 3/9 o'clock) from the last main string?

Regards!

2. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    A top-down picture of how you currently mount a racket on the machine would be a helpful reference.

speCulatius likes this.
  3. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    speCulatius and s_mair like this.
  4. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

That sounds exactly like my Pros pro challenger.

If yours is the same, each of the 4 arms has 2 mounting holes right? 1 at the far end of the arm, and 1 nearer to the turning knob.

I string the crosses bottom up. The supports on the bottom side of the racket are in the far holes. The supports on the top side of the racket are in the near holes. The 12 position support is positioned in a way where the top of the rackethead just about rests on the padded rubber part of the top stem. The 6 position support is then adjusted to fit the racket.

This way I get the top side supports as far up the racket as possible, and it seems to handle the forced well enough.

If you have a different machine, then what I just said will probably make no sense whatsoever.:D

5. Gupvis

Gupvis New Member

I have an eagnas of 30+ years old. I didnt make a picture but found this one online:

[​IMG]
    You have these 4 holes on the inner part, and then 2 on the outer part (of which in 1 is the white thing).
    But due to the new side supports (instead of this shitty white things) I am searching for where to place it to be most optimal.

I thought indeed he made a video but I was unable to find it on his youtube channel, but it is hidden on youtube. Most of the machines have fixed positions regarding the place of the side supports, but I can change the position. Did an extensive search on the forum but probably used the wrong searchterms?

In the video I can see the top side supports are 1 to 1.5 grommet away from the last main string. But due to the color of the frame I am unable to see it for the lower side supports. Where should this one be placed?

6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

It's basically the same. So I normally also go 1-2 grommets inside the last main string grommet.

7. Gupvis

Gupvis New Member

Thanks!

I will try tonight. If not possible is it better to go a bit more towards 3/9 o'clock instead of 6/12?
    It will ofcourse be only minor shifts, but regarding easy of stringing (no shared holes "in" your side support) but of course the most important one: load spreading across the frame for stability and frame integrity?

8. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Small shifts won't make a big difference. In general, you could go more towards 12 o'clock if you do the crosses bottom-up and more towards 6 o'clock for top-down patterns. This should be beneficial in terms of load distribution while tensioning the crosses.

The important part is to stay inside the last main string grommets and to keep a certain distance between top and bottom side supports.

Gupvis likes this.
  9. Gupvis

Gupvis New Member

Thanks!