Singapore Sports Scene

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Loh, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore para-swimmer Yip Pin Xiu sets 2nd world record at European games

She beat her own previous world record of 1min 1.61s in the women's 50m (S2) backstroke by nearly 1 second with a time of 1min 0.64s.
    • Posted 07 May 2016 11:48
    • Updated 07 May 2016 15:19

[​IMG]
    National para-swimmer Yip Pin Xiu at the IPC Swimming European Open Championships in Fuchal, Portugal. (Photo: Singapore Disability Sports Council/Facebook)

SINGAPORE: Two days after she smashed the world record for the women's 100m (S2) backstroke, national para-swimmer Yip Pin Xiu broke another record at the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) European Open Championships in Funchal, Portugal on Friday (May 6).

Yip, 24, beat her own previous world record of 1min 1.61s in the women's 50m (S2) backstroke by nearly 1 second with a time of 1min 0.64s. Norway's Ingrid Thunem came in second (1min 6.53s) followed by Russia's Alexandra Agafonova (1min 6.75s).

The S2 classification refers to swimmers that mainly rely on their arms for swimming due to limited functions or coordination problems with their hands, trunks or legs, according to the IPC.

Yip, a final-year Political Science student at the Singapore Management University who suffers from muscular dystrophy, had announced her decision to defer her studies to train full-time for the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games last November.

The European Open is the last major competition ahead of the Rio games on Sep 7 to Sep 18 this year, and is being run to give athletes as many opportunities as possible to qualify, according to the IPC.

Fellow national paralympic swimmer Theresa Goh, 28, also set a new Asian record for the women's 100m (SB4) breaststroke with 1min 59.9s at the Open on Wednesday.

The SB4 classification is for swimmers with short statures and an additional impairment with a loss of control over one side of their body or paraplegia, the paralysis of the lower body.

In a Facebook post on Saturday, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong congratulated both swimmers for their achievements.

"Our athletes trained very hard to wear national colours at this competition. Pin Xiu and Theresa show that Team Singapore can do great things," he wrote.

- CNA/mz

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Teen fighter Angela Lee becomes youngest-ever MMA champion

The 19-year-old of Singaporean-Korean parentage grinds out a decision victory over Japanese veteran Mei Yamaguchi to bag the inaugural One Championship atomweight belt.
    • By Justin Ong
    • Posted 06 May 2016 23:20
    • Updated 07 May 2016 00:55

[​IMG]
    Angela Lee, new atomweight MMA champion in One Championship (Photo: Ngau Kai Yan)

SINGAPORE: Mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter Angela Lee on Friday (May 6) defeated Japan’s Mei Yamaguchi to win the inaugural atomweight (52.2kg) belt of Asian promoter One Championship - and in doing so became the youngest-ever champion of a major cagefighting organisation.

The 19-year-old Lee beat veteran Yamaguchi by unanimous decision after five grueling rounds at the Singapore Indoor Stadium to write her name into the history books. Her feat eclipses the likes of American fighters Joe Soto and Jon Jones, who were 22 and 23 respectively when they claimed their title straps of the Bellator and Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) promotions.

Lee, a Canadian-American citizen of Singaporean-Korean ethnicity, fights under the Singapore flag in One Championship.

[​IMG]

Lee gets Yamaguchi on the ground (Photo: Ngau Kai Yan)

The victory extends her record to six wins and no losses in just one year of professional competition. But Lee was put to the test by 33-year-old Yamaguchi, a former champion of all-girl Japanese promotions Jewels and Valkyrie.

[​IMG]

Yamaguchi struggling to get loose (Photo: Ngau Kai Yan)

The latter, who has 15 wins and eight losses, dropped Lee with a clean, surgical punch in the third round and proceeded to lock in multiple submission attempts which the younger fighter showed incredible heart to escape from.

The final two championship rounds saw Lee catch her breath and regain control of the fight en route to convincing the judges and sending the local crowd into roars of celebration.

[​IMG]

Angela Lee and her atomweight championship belt (Photo: Ngau Kai Yan)

Angela's younger brother Christian Lee, still only 17, also impressed with a first-round D'arce choke submission win against an opponent nearly twice his age - 32-year-old Cary Bullos of the Philippines. Christian's record now stands at four wins and no losses since his professional debut in December last year.

[​IMG]

17-year-old Christian Lee making his mark in One Championship (Photo: Ngau Kai Yan)

Earlier in the night, Benedict Ang picked up his third win on the trot against Filipino opponent Jimmy Yabo. The 20-year-old Singaporean kept up the pressure with several huge takedowns and slams throughout, and laid on the defining ground-and-pound three minutes into the third round to end Yabo by referee stoppage.

[​IMG]

Benedict Ang who defeated Jimmy Yabo from the Philippines (Photo: Ngau Kai Yan)

Compatriot Amir Khan also had his hand raised in the cage with the night's fourth straight finish by ground-and-pound. The 21-year-old escaped a dangerous heel hook attempt by Taiwanese John Chang in the first round, maneuvered into top position and rained down on his foe to wrap up the fifth win of his career.

[​IMG]

Amir Khan pummels Taiwanese John Chang (Photo: Ngau Kai Yan)

In the co-main event of the night, Brazilian grappling standout Roger Gracie seized the first-ever One Championship light heavyweight title with a first-round submission of Polish contender Michal Pasternak via arm triangle choke

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired

Record-breaker Yip wants to go harder, and faster

[​IMG]
    Yip Pin Xiu posing with her 50M Backstroke-S5 gold medal at the 8th Asean Para Games last year. TODAY file photo

By Adelene Wong
    adelenewong@mediacorp.com.sg -
    Published: 1:13 AM, May 8, 2016
    Updated: 10:25 PM, May 8, 2016

Singapore para-swimmer Yip Pin Xiu has been making the headlines this past week for her record-breaking achievements in the pool at the IPC Swimming European Open Championships in Funchal, Portugal . The 24-year-old Singapore Management University undergraduate broke two world records - in the 50m and 100m backstroke S2 - and also set two new Asian records (50m and 100m freestyle S2).
    The results can only bode well for Yip at September’s Paralympic Games in Rio. In a Q&A with TODAY sports reporter Adelene Wong (adelenewong@mediacorp.com.sg), Yip talks about her current form, her hopes for Rio, the pressure she is facing, her muscular dystrophy, and what she is like out of the pool...

1. How do you feel about your second world record in three days? Were you aiming to break the world record going into the 50m backstroke S2 final?

I was really tired going into the race, because it was my fourth race, and I had to swim back-to-back events over three days.

But I really wanted to do a good timing to better my (2015) APG (Asean Para Games) timing. I swam my heart out there and I am glad my timing improved.

2. What do you think of your overall performance at the European Open Championships? Did it exceed your own expectations?

I think that my overall performance at the European Championships met the expectations that my coach and the team had set for me. They are what we wanted.

I am happy with the results, but something I need to improve on is the back-end speed of the 100m (last 50m of the 100m races), as well as being able to sprint a bit faster in the 50m.

3. What are your hopes for the 2016 Paralympics?

They are actually the same as for every competition that I take part in. I just want to do really good timings, and improve on my times. I guess no matter what, as long as I know I have done my best, I’ll be really happy. Am I thinking of repeating my gold medal feat (from the 2008 Paralympics)? It’ll be nice if I could, but I don’t want to put too high expectations on myself yet.

Training full-time has really helped to get me on track for now.

People might think I would be feeling more confident after the results at this European Championships, but I really don’t think so. Sports is really very unexpected and unpredictable, and my competitors have also improved on their timings. So I think there is nothing that I can take for granted, and I will still continue to train harder, and harder.

4. What are some of the crucial things you need to do from now until Rio to ensure that you keep up with your fine form?

There are only four months left to Rio. If I have to highlight three things that I need to do, they are: rest and recovery, intensifying training, as well as having a good diet.

I have been quite careful with what I eat. I make my choices based on what my body needs. So if I need more carbs and protein on a day, then I will choose foods that will provide more of that. I tend not to snack so much as well.

5. You are now a holder of two world records. Can you describe the kind of pressure you are facing heading into Rio?

Pressure can be an athlete’s stumbling block. I guess with two world records, there will be more pressure, and expectations on me. This is because people may think that as a holder of world records, (the Paralympics gold medal) is already in the bag, but as I said before, sports is really very unpredictable.

I think it is important not to let the pressure get to me as well. I don’t think I’ve ever felt such high expectations than at this current moment, in this year.

I think this is also because there has been more emphasis on para-sports than in the past few years.

So, I definitely need to handle this pressure. But I’ve also learnt throughout the years to focus on my own races and everything.

I’ll definitely talk to my psychologist (about it), but I’ll try not to let the pressure get to me.

I think it is also good too that we will be away for a couple of training camps, so we don’t have many distractions and we can really focus.

6. Can you tell us about the people who mean the most to you, and those you know are rooting for you back home?

My family means the most to me, and I know they are always rooting for me. It is not only them though. My friends and my supporters as well. I guess throughout the years, I have come to realise that there are many people who support us, and I am really very, very grateful for that because I wouldn’t have gotten this far without everybody’s support.

My family has always been there, and they have never pressured me into doing anything I didn’t want to. They have always encouraged me to do what I want to which is to swim competitively.

7. How worried are you of your condition (muscular dystrophy). How do you deal with the uncertainty over the rate at which your muscles may weaken over time?

I worry about my condition, but not all the time. Actually most of the time, I don’t worry about it, because there is no point worrying. I really try my best to not let it deteriorate, so if it does, I will just have to adapt to it.

Of course, it makes me sad, but I think there is nothing much I can do about it.

As for what my condition will be like by the 2020 Paralympics, I really don’t know, but I hope there wouldn’t be (any further weakening). But I know that from 2008 till now, they have weakened.

Currently though, my eyesight has stabilised. So the nerves on the left side of my eye area have stabilised. I went for a checkup a year ago, and not much has changed, although I still don’t have perfect eyesight even with my glasses on.

As for strength in my limbs, the main difference I can tell from two years ago is that my wrists and my grip have all since weakened.

8. Tell us a little bit more about how you are like outside of the pool, and your hobbies. What makes you happy?

There isn’t a lot of time out of the pool for me. Most of the time, I have to be catching up on sleep.

But I really like to hang out with friends, and catch up with them. I like to go explore places in Singapore that are not explored much. I also like to eat desserts! So, these things make me happy.

I don’t know what makes me sad. I will think about it and let you know again.

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Athletics: Dipna Lim-Prasad bags 400m gold in HK
    [​IMG]
    Sprinter Dipna Lim-Prasad was running only her second race after an ankle injury in December.TNP FILE PHOTO
    Published
    May 9, 2016, 5:00 am SGT

Nicholas Tan
    clntan@sph.com.sg

National sprinter Dipna Lim-Prasad ran 57.11sec to clinch her first gold medal this season in the women's 400m at the Hong Kong Athletic Championships yesterday.

Fellow Team Singapore athlete Joy Kuan took third spot (1min) in the same event at the two-day meet.

This was just Lim-Prasad's second race since suffering an ankle injury in December. She won the 400m silver at last month's Singapore Open at the National Stadium.

Her 400m time in Hong Kong was, however, slower than her time of 56.33sec last month. Her personal best stands at 56.23.

It is also two seconds off national record-holder Chee Swee Lee's 55.08 set at the 1974 Asian Games, and also well behind the Olympic qualifying mark of 52.20.

Lim-Prasad told The Straits Times: "The timing wasn't as fast as I had hoped for. I thought I could have done even better for the second race since I did so well in my first one back from injury.

"I guess I got greedy. You can't expect every race to be a personal best."

Yet unfavourable conditions could also have a played a part.

"We had an early-morning race time and there was strong head wind. Joy and I were blown away by the wind quite literally," she joked. "But it provided invaluable experience for the rest of my season in terms of pacing and race experience... so I'm really grateful and pleased."

With her first win under her belt, Lim-Prasad has set her sights on her next meet, the May 17-21 Taiwan Open.

In other Team Singapore results from Hong Kong, both Kerstin Ong and Nur Izlyn posted personal bests in the women's 100m hurdles final. Ong (14.88sec) came in third and Izlyn (14.89) was fourth.

Muhammad Nasiruddin took third place in the men's high jump with a leap of 1.99m, while Tan Wei Jie (1.95m) was just behind in fourth.

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    National veterans bid farewell to international netball

[​IMG]
    From left: Micky Lin, Chen Huifen and Premila Hirubalan. Photos: Netball Singapore, TODAY file photo

Micky Lin, Chen Huifen and Premila Hirubalan announce retirement ahead of Netball Super League Grand Final

Published: 10:53 AM, May 10, 2016

SINGAPORE — After amassing 328 international caps between them, Singapore netball captain Micky Lin, co-vice-captain Chen Huifen, and Premila Hirubalan have called time to their successful national team careers.

In a media release on Tuesday (May 10), Netball Singapore said the trio have decided to step away from the international stage and focus on life off the court.

Lin, 30, made her debut in 2004 and has since represented Singapore on 102 occasions including three World Cups, one Commonwealth Games, four Asian Championships — where the team lifted Gold on three occasions — and she captained the side in the 2015 SEA Games on home soil where the team took top honours.

Said the Deloitte Singapore employee: “Leading the team to win at SEA Games was probably the most memorable. It was against Malaysia and my first SEA Games. I am glad I could last that long to be part of that experience.

“I have been very lucky, I came into netball in a time when things started to pick up. We have had international coaches and Netball Singapore have taken care of everything for us and given us so many opportunities. I have seen the progression over my period in the game and got to do some really awesome things.

“I will still play netball, it’s been part of me for so long and it’s more focusing on work and other things but I have been really fortunate and now is the good time to walk away.”

School teacher Chen, 31, has 109 international caps to her name and boasts a similarly impressive netball CV as Lin following her debut back in 2005. The goal attack has enjoyed many highs and is keen to help in the development of our local future talent.

She explained: “I have been able to share my stories and experiences with my students and I want to stay involved in the sport to help players develop at a lower level with the students.

“Asian Championships in 2005 when I was a rookie was quite an experience – the first time we brought home the title. When we beat Sri Lanka on their home patch in 2012 it was amazing – we had our other rivals supporting us and that meant a lot. When we played in SEA Games last year, we raised the profile of the sport and we could show everyone how mature we are and what a popular sport it is.

“I am going to maybe study and settle down a bit but I will still play at club level and enjoy being part of the sport.”

Making her debut back in the 1999 World Championships in New Zealand, Premila has had a netball career spanning 17 years and has represented Singapore 117 times during that period. Like Lin and Chen, the Medical Officer at Singapore General Hospital was inducted into the Netball Singapore Hall of Fame in 2015 and takes away many great memories of her time in the sport.

She said: “A lot of highs, a lot of lows but something that I would never have given up or let pass me by. It’s been worth all the sacrifice, all the long days of work and training.

“But then when you win the SEA Games, Asian Championships and did well at a few Nations Cups, that makes it all worthwhile. It’s been a lot of fun.

“I am going to sleep more now, catch up with family and friends and have some time to travel and holiday. I will still maintain my fitness; hopefully still play in Netball Super League but now it will be more for enjoyment. I will really miss training with the (national) squad but I am going out on a high.”

Singapore national coach and technical director Ruth Aitken hailed the girls’ achievements and contribution. She said: “They have been instrumental in the success that the national team have had over the last few years. They are great talent on the court but their leadership within the group has also been a major factor in the team’s achievements.

“We all will miss them, but I hope they will still take an active role in the sport and be able to offer mentoring support to the younger players we have coming through.”

Both Lin and Chen will be in action this Saturday in the Grand Final of the Netball Super League, playing for their club side Blaze Dolphins against Sneakers Stingrays at 2pm.

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Schooling posts fastest 100m fly personal time this season to win gold in Atlanta

[​IMG]
    Joseph Schooling recorded the 13th fastest time in the 100m fly in the 2015-16 season when he won gold at the Atlanta Classic this morning. TODAY FILE PHOTO

Timing is the 13th fastest in 2015-16 swimming season

By Noah Tan
    noahtanyw@mediacorp.com.sg -
    Published: 12:09 PM, May 14, 2016

SINGAPORE – Olympics-bound national swimmer Joseph Schooling sounded another warning to his rivals ahead of the Rio de Janeiro Games, as he stormed to a gold medal in the men’s 100m fly at the Atlanta Classic this morning with a time of 51.86 secs.

The 20-year-old finished first ahead of American duo Tom Shields (52.02 secs) and Jack Conger (53.33 secs).

Crucially, the result in Atlanta shows that Schooling is picking up form just in time for this August’s Olympics, as it represents his best display in the 100m fly – his pet event – so far this year.

Schooling’s personal best time remains 50.96 secs, which he set last year during his historic bronze-medal winning performance at the World Championships in Kazan, Russia.

The Singaporean swim star’s latest result places him 13th fastest in the world for the 100m fly this year.

In comparison, 18-time Olympic gold medalist Michael Phelps’ best time in the event since the start of the year is 51.94 secs, while the top timing recorded in 2016 is 51.24 secs by China’s Li Zhuhao.

Schooling, Singapore’s reigning Sportsman of the Year, had previously confirmed that he is aiming to win the 100m fly in Rio, which would see him pick up the country’s first-ever swimming Olympic medal.

He said this after the NCAA Championships where the University of Texas undergraduate was voted joint winner of the College Swimming Coaches Association of America’s Swimmer of the Year Award after he won the 100-yard and 200-yard butterfly, and helped the Texas Longhorns to win the 800-yard freestyle, 200-yard freestyle and 400-yard medley relays.

“Winning is always my goal. If you want to achieve big things, you have got to dream big,” said Schooling then. “So I don’t think saying that I want to win the Olympics and get the gold medal is a ridiculous statement.”

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired

ActiveSG Football Academy gets five new head coaches

[​IMG]
    ActiveSG Football Academy principal Aleksandar Duric (in red) welcomes new head coaches from left: Mohd Hairil Amin, Hyrizan Jufri, Robin Chitrakar, Richard Bok and Steven Tan. Photo: Jason Quah

Former Lions star Steven Tan headlines group tasked with grooming talent

By Low Lin Fhoong
    linfhoong@mediacorp.com.sg -
    Published: 4:15 AM, May 23, 2016

Tan, along with veteran and youth coaches Richard Bok, Robin Chitrakar, Mohd Hairil Amin, and Hyrizan Jufri, were unveiled yesterday as the head coaches of the academy, with the five to front its youth programmes alongside academy principal Aleksandar Duric.

Of the five coaches, three (Bok, Chitrakar, Hyrizan) hold the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Professional Coaching Diploma Licence — the highest coaching certification in Asia, and the equivalent of the UEFA Pro Licence — and the group boasts decades of experience coaching in the S.League, National Football Academy, and schools.

The five head coaches will work with a team of assistant coaches to conduct the football programmes at five venues around Singapore, the Serangoon Stadium (Bok), Queenstown Stadium (Chitrakar), Jurong East Stadium (Hyrizan), Woodlands Stadium (Hairil), and Kallang Cricket Field (Tan).

ActiveSG Football Academy principal Aleksandar Duric said that the coaches were selected based on their track record in coaching and their work with youths.

“I really wanted them because it’s important to have coaches who know how to work with kids,” said former Singapore international Duric. “I’m very passionate about football, and I’m definitely looking to expand (the number of venues) in the future, and also for the older kids to join.

“That’s what we need, a big number of kids playing football. We’re here for the long term. We’re part of the ecosystem, and this is a quality programme that is affordable.”

The ActiveSG Football Academy Programme kicks off on May 28 with some 200 boys and girls aged from six to 12 signed on for the June Holiday Programme that will run for 14 sessions — up to three times a week — over a month.

While lessons at local academies by Arsenal and Barcelona can cost up to S$45, the ActiveSG Football Academy charges S$130 for 14 sessions, with ActiveSG members able to offset 30 per cent of the cost with ActiveSG dollars.

Aside from basic football skills, the programme aims to teach young children values such as discipline, respect and team spirit. The coaches are also hopeful of unearthing some young talents for Singapore.

“I believe in this project ... I’m trying to help, to share what I’ve learnt since my playing and coaching days,” said Tan, who is head coach of Temasek Polytechnic and Anglo-Chinese School (Junior), and technical director of the F-17 Football Academy.

“We will find talents, there are always one or two who fall out of the filter. Those with lower incomes will not be able to afford some of the other academies, so with this, we expect more kids to join as it’s easy access for them.”

Added former SAFFC head coach Bok: “When I got the call from Aleksandar for this ... it is about teaching skills to kids, teaching them life skills, and to see them not only graduate from the academy to become a better person. That’s what attracted me to join this project.”

* Find out more about the ActiveSG Football Academy Programme at https://www.myactivesg.com/start-out/children-youth/academy/Football

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Lee to fly S’pore’s flag at Olympic Games

[​IMG]
    William Lee says it is an honour to be selected by Fina as a diving judge for the Olympic Games, forming part of a 23-strong group of officials. Photo: Damien Teo

First for Republic aquatics with diving vice-president to be a judge in Rio
    By Low Lin Fhoong
    linfhoong@mediacorp.com.sg -
    Published: 4:15 AM, May 25, 2016

SINGAPORE — The Republic’s athletes may not be on the platform when the Olympic diving competition leaps off at the Maria Lenk Aquatics Centre on Aug 7, but history will still be made at the quadrennial event in three months’ time.

In a first for Singapore aquatics, William Lee, the Singapore Swimming Association’s (SSA) vice-president (diving) has been appointed a diving judge by Fina for the Olympic Games, forming part of a 23-strong group of officials from countries such as Australia, Canada, China, and the United States for Rio 2016.

Lee, 52, who has judged at the Diving World Series, Grand Prix, World Cup, and last year’s World Championships in Kazan, was notified of his selection by Fina’s technical diving committee at the start of this year.

“I was surprised … it is a huge honour to be selected,” said Lee, who is also the father of national divers Timothy and Mark. “This is my biggest assignment so far. The Olympics is the highest level of competition and the best of the best divers are there. It is a huge privilege to witness such an important event.

“The lessons I will learn will not only be for me as a judge, but also as a VP to see how the event is run, how other nations run their programmes, and (to) learn from my counterparts.”

Up to 136 divers are expected to compete across eight events in Rio: The men’s and women’s 3m springboard, 10m platform, 3m synchronised springboard and 10m synchronised platform.

Sitting for hours in the hot sun and inclement weather are some of the challenges that diving judges will face at the Maria Lenk Aquatics Centre, where the competition will be held outdoors. With judges on duty for up to three hours judging hundreds of dives, Lee said maintaining focus and alertness was key.

“After every event, the judges are brought together for an evaluation and video reviews … no punches are pulled if we did anything wrong,” he said. “The divers spend thousands of hours training. As judges we have to honour the athletes with our best performances. If you judge wrongly, you dishonour the athlete, and dishonour the sport.”

An avid fan of the sport, Lee’s journey as a judge and administrator began in 2009, a year before Singapore hosted the first Youth Olympic Games. The father of four, who is a pastor, had also encouraged twin sons Timothy and Mark to take it up.

He is excited at the prospect of catching China’s four-time world champion Qiu Bo in action in Brazil, and he added: “Never in my wildest dreams would I have expected that one day I would get to go to the Olympics. It also raises the profile of Singapore diving to the international community.”

Lee is also hopeful that history will once again be made at the 2020 Olympics, with Singaporean divers to qualify and feature at the Olympic Games in Tokyo in four years’ time. “We have a Vision 2020 plan to prepare our divers to qualify for the Games,” said Lee, who plans to run for the SSA’s diving VP post again at this year’s elections.

Team Singapore’s divers had finished second behind powerhouse Malaysia at the 2015 SEA Games with three silver and four bronze medals, and Lee is confident Singapore can close the gap on its rival.

“We have progressed very fast since we started in 2009,” he said. “We are rapidly closing the gap (with Malaysia) and we want to continue challenging them for the top position.”

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    FAS technical director to set up Singapore Coaching School

Those who complete the courses will get badges that are equal to AFC licences

By Noah Tan
    Published: 4:00 AM, May 31, 2016

SINGAPORE — Aspiring football coaches in Singapore will now be able to earn their badges along with a diploma at the soon-to-be-opened Singapore Coaching School.

The school is the brainchild of Football Association of Singapore (FAS) technical director Michel Sablon, who had been tasked to come up with a developmental plan to raise the country’s footballing standards.

Having identified the education of coaches as one of 11 key areas to improve on, Sablon said the school will produce a consistent pipeline of well-qualified and highly skilled coaches for Singapore.

“Our aim is not simply to produce better players, but to create a world-class football development environment to nurture our talents,” explained the 68-year-old Belgian, who is widely recognised as the man who turned Belgium into a football powerhouse.

“This means we will not simply aim to produce better players, but also augment the capabilities of our coaches, sports science and medicine professionals, scouts and more.”

Sablon, along with National Youth Teams head coach Richard Tardy and FAS head of coach education Mohamed Basir, will oversee the courses, which will be conducted by instructors from the Asian Football Confederation (AFC).

The course programme will largely adopt material from a new AFC coaching syllabus, which Sablon is involved in developing. Sablon said the new curriculum will contain “dramatically changed content with more hours, more practical elements and hands-on experiences, and more assessments.”

Participants who successfully complete the syllabus will be awarded official certification that will be the equivalent of the respective AFC B or A licences.

The school aims to begin conducting its B licence equivalent course — which equips coaches with the skills to train Under-15 players — in August. The A licence version, which is focused on the coaching of Under-17 players, is slated to be held at the end of this year.

Apart from the Coaching School, Sablon and his team have also launched the Goalkeeper Academy of Singapore (GAS) for young local keepers aged between 10 and 16. The Academy aims to improve goalkeeping standards by adopting the latest coaching methods.

The weekly GAS sessions are currently conducted by FAS Goalkeeper Coach Frederic De Boever, and have since attracted 70 participants since the start of this year.

Irwan Hamid, whose son Ilhan Faiq is a student at the academy, said he was pleased with what he has seen of the programme so far.

“The training methodology is advanced and I understand that it is similar to the training methods used by teams in Europe,” he said.

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    More games, prizes in revamped schools’ football tournament

[​IMG]

FAS Technical Director Michel Sablon who unveiled the Football Development Plan to shape the Future of Singapore Football at The Fullerton Hotel on May 30, 2016. Photo: Damien Teo

By Noah Tan
    Published: 4:00 AM, May 31, 2016

Details of the impending changes were unveiled by FAS technical director Michel Sablon to members of the local football community at a presentation at the Fullerton Hotel yesterday.

Widely recognised as the man who transformed Belgium into a footballing powerhouse, Mr Sablon’s aim is to develop a “Singaporean style of play” within the next six years. The 68-year-old Belgian, who joined the FAS last year, defined this style as “fast-passing, offensive football based on a winning spirit”.

Mr Sablon’s comprehensive plan detailed improvements in 11 main areas of Singapore football such as the utilisation of sport science and medicine, coaches’ education, as well as the changes in the format of the schools competition.

According to the FAS, the Ministry of Education has agreed to the introduction of the SCL and SNL.

Under the current competition format, schools are divided into four groups in each of the four zones (North, South, East and West). The top two teams from each group progress to their respective zonal knockout stages. Teams that reach the zone semi-finals also qualify for the national championships.

Starting next year, the 16 schools that top their respective groups in the zones (four groups per zone) will advance to the SCL. They will be divided into four groups and will play home-and-away round-robin matches. The top two schools from each group will progress to the knockout stages.

Meanwhile, the SNL will be made up of the rest of the schools — estimated to be about 80 — that do not qualify for the SCL. The teams will be divided into four groups in each of the four zones, with the winner of each group moving onto the Round of 16 knockout stage to vie for the SNL title.

According to Mr Sablon, the new SCL and SNL formats will provide each school with an extra four competitive matches a year which, he said, will help school players develop even further.

“In the previous (format), schools eliminated during the group stages would have no more football to play for the rest of the year,” he said. “But now, each team will get more game time, and this will be beneficial for the players.

“Just because a team does not qualify for the national championships doesn’t mean they do not have good players. The SCL and SNL will give us additional chances to better assess the players from each school and identify potential talent.”

Mr Mohamed Zainudeen, head coach of football powerhouse Hong Kah Secondary, hailed the impending format changes.

“It’s a good idea because there is an attempt to give all schools more playing time,” he said.

“At this stage (in a player’s career), it should not be all about winning but gaining as much competitive exposure instead. It is a holistic approach that bodes well in the long run.”

In line with the changes to the schools competition, several other tweaks will also be made to the youth football competitions calendar.

Centre-of-excellence (COE) competitions will now begin in the second half of the year so as not to clash with the schools competition. They will involve teams at the Under-15 age group and above.

There will be no COE tournaments for the Under-14s and below. Instead, they will dedicate their time to training and strategically planned friendly matches.

Mr Sablon explained: “This will allow players to have more time for training and technical development.

“They will also face less exposure to the risk of injuries and fatigue.”

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    21 Singapore athletes confirmed for Rio Olympic Games

Three more athletes - two from athletics and one from swimming - are pending confirmation, says the Singapore National Olympic Council.
    • Posted 31 May 2016 20:17
    • Updated 31 May 2016 21:36

[​IMG] Rio de Janeiro is due to host the Olympics and Paralympics, running from August 5 through to September 18 AFP/Yasuyoshi Chiba

SINGAPORE: Twenty-four athletes are likely to represent Team Singapore at the Rio de Janeiro 2016 Olympic Games, one more than the 23-strong contingent at the London 2012 Games, the Singapore National Olympic Council (SNOC) said on Tuesday (May 31).

The SNOC selection committee, chaired by Minister for Social and Family Development Tan Chuan-Jin, confirmed that 21 athletes have earned quota spots through their respective sports' Olympic qualification processes.

Three more athletes - two from athletics and one from swimming - are set to join the contingent. SNOC said it gave these athletes in-principle endorsement, subject to confirmation by their international federations as well as NSAs’ internal selection processes, which will all conclude in July.

Of the 21 athletes confirmed by SNOC so far, there are none competing in track and field. Should there not be any qualified athletes, Team Singapore will be eligible to send one male and one female athlete to compete in a single event each, as part of the International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF)'s universality places policy. The qualification period will end Jul 11 and the IAAF will inform National Olympic Committees (NOCs) of the qualified and universality places by Jul 14, SNOC said.

Likewise, International Swimming Federation rules specify that countries without a qualified swimmer in either gender may enter one swimmer for participation in one event, subject to eligibility criteria laid out by the federation. Singapore has confirmed two men for swimming at the Rio Games - Joseph Schooling and Quah Zheng Wen - but no women.

SNOC Secretary-General Chris Chan said that more than half of the contingent will be making their debut.

"There are also seasoned campaigners who are participating in their second or third Olympic Games," he added.

Mr Low Teo Ping, chef de mission for Team Singapore at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, added that support teams have been "working hard behind the scenes to help the athletes prepare for the Games".

"Sports such as swimming, sailing and shooting have done well in qualifications, setting a record number of athletes qualifying on merit for these sports,” said Mr Low.

Team Singapore athletes confirmed for the Rio Games:

Sport
    Athlete
    Event

Badminton
    Derek Wong Zi Liang

Men’s Singles

Liang Xiao Yu
    Women’s Singles

Rowing
    Sayidah Aisyah Mohamed Raffa’ee

Women’s Single Sculls

Sailing
    Colin Cheng Xin Ru

Men’s One Person Dinghy – Laser

Elizabeth Yin Yue Ling
    Women’s One Person Dinghy –Laser Radial

Justin Liu Xia Man
    Mixed Event – Multihull Nacra 17

Denise Lim Ke Xin
    Mixed Event – Multihull Nacra 17

Jovina Choo Bei Fen
    Women’s Two Person Dinghy – 470

Amanda Ng Kai Ling
    Women’s TwoPerson Dinghy – 470

Griselda Khng
    Women’s Skiff – 49er FX

Sara Tan Li Ching
    Women’s Skiff – 49er FX

Leonard Ong
    Men’s Windsurfer – RS:X

Shooting
    Jasmine Ser Xiang Wei

Women: 50m Rifle 3 Positions, 10m Air Rifle

Teo Shun Xie
    Women: 25mPistol, 10m Air Pistol

Swimming
    Joseph Isaac Schooling

Men: 100m Freestyle, 200m Freestyle, 100m Butterfly, 200m Butterfly

Quah Zheng Wen
    Men: 100m
    Backstroke, 100m Butterfly, 200m Butterfly

Table Tennis
    Chen Feng

Men’s Singles

Gao Ning
    Men’s Singles

Feng Tian Wei
    Women: Singles, Team

Yu Meng Yu
    Women: Singles, Team

Zhou Yi Han
    Women’s Team

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    First Centre of Expertise for Disability Sports launched in Sengkang

The centres, which will have disability sports programmes and facilities accessible to the people with disabilities, are one of 18 recommendations by the Committee for Disability Sports under the Disability Sports Master Plan.
    • By Holly Matthews
    • Posted 31 May 2016 17:36
    • Updated 31 May 2016 18:25

[​IMG] Ms Fu launching the Centre of Expertise at the ActiveSG Sengkang Sports Centre. (Photo: Holly Matthews)

SINGAPORE: The first Centre of Expertise for Disability Sports was launched at the ActiveSG Sengkang Sports Centre on Tuesday (May 31), as part of plans to increase sports participation among people with disabilities.

It is the first of five centres, which will be set up by 2021, and will provide inclusive sports facilities and programmes for people with disabilities. The centres' locations have been chosen strategically in five regions, to make them accessible to the people with disabilities across the nation. They will be located in Sengkang, Queenstown, Toa Payoh, Delta and Jurong West.

The centres will have disability sports programmes and facilities like inclusive gyms that are accessible to people with disabilities.

The Sengkang centre will introduce the “Yes! I Can” Swim Programme for people with disabilities to learn aquatic movement skills. There will be three public programmes and one programme for special education schools from June onwards.

[​IMG]

Children with intellectual disabilities and autism taking part in the "Yes! I Can" Swim programme. (Photo: Holly Matthews)

Sport Singapore CEO Lim Teck Yin said: “The launch of this first Centre of Expertise at the ActiveSG Sengkang Sports Centre will be the first of more initiatives to come for para sports. In the coming months, selected ActiveSG Sports Centres and gyms will be retrofitted to be more inclusive.”

More para sports such as badminton, boccia, football and goalball will be introduced at different ActiveSG Sports Centres, Mr Lim said.

MASTER PLAN FOR DISABILITY SPORTS

The Centres of Expertise are one of 18 recommendations by the Committee for Disability Sports, under the Disability Sports Master Plan. The Government announced during the Committee of Supply debate in April that it has accepted these recommendations, and will implement them in phases over the next five to six years.

The recommendations fall under three outcomes - expanding access and opportunities for persons with disabilities, developing organisation and professional capabilities, and building awareness within the community.

Besides improving access to sports facilities for the disabled, the master plan also includes support for selected schools to offer sports programmes for students with disabilities.

More emphasis will be placed on developing professional capabilities in disability sports. The volunteer base for disability sports will also be expanded, with opportunities for volunteers to take on the role of “sports buddies” to assist coaches and serve as training partners in the disability sports programmes.

Culture, Community and Youth Minister Grace Fu, who launched the Sengkang Centre on Tuesday, said: “Through the Disability Sports Master Plan, we want to harness the potential of sport further by making it easier for those with disabilities to lead an active lifestyle. In time to come, Singapore will become a more inclusive society, where people of all abilities can enjoy sports together.”

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore footballers should only go abroad when prepared, cautions technical director Michel Sablon

The Belgian admits he overestimated the technical and tactical ability of local players when he first arrived here, but forecasts a “new generation in 2018”.

[​IMG] Singapore football technical director Michel Sablon on May 31 (Photo: Justin Ong)

SINGAPORE: Football Association of Singapore (FAS) technical director Michel Sablon on Tuesday (May 31) issued a word of warning against local players venturing overseas without being “well-prepared” to do so.

“We should not send Singaporean players outside to clubs in Europe or Japan or wherever just to stay for a month and then come back. No,” the 68-year-old Belgian told Channel NewsAsia. “We should also be aware and convinced it has added value for the player. For example if he goes to France to train for a month and can learn things he still has to improve on, then it’s beneficial.”

No Singaporean international has had a professional stint outside of the region as fruitful or high-profile as that of local legend Fandi Ahmad’s exploits for Dutch club Groningen from 1983 to 1985. Early last year, Safuwan Baharudin came close with a three-month spell at Australia’s Melbourne City cut short by injury, while goalkeeper Izwan Mahbud won hearts in Japan but failed to secure a contract with Matsumoto Yamaga at the start of 2016.

Nonetheless, Mr Sablon said that individual player development was a basic principle of a 11-pronged development plan he unveiled on Monday, adding: “If we are making players better, it could be normal that in three to four years, they are requested by big clubs in Europe to take them - exactly like in Belgium where the whole national team now plays abroad.

“This is one of the consequences of having quality players. If you make good players, everyone in the world will be interested to have the good players,” said the man often lauded for masterminding Belgium’s ascent in modern-day football.

“So I hope the interest will come from the outside world to Singapore players. That will mean we did a good job.”

[​IMG]

(Photo: Justin Ong)

“A NEW GENERATION IN 2018”

Mr Sablon’s new development plan comes over a year after he was appointed in April 2015 on a two-year deal, and follows a 187-page grassroots manual published in August last year targeting football’s growth amongst kids aged six to nine.

On Tuesday however he candidly admitted that he might have been “too fast” in wanting to introduce changes, and as a result was made to “go back one or two steps”.

“Sometimes you want to implement a way of playing, but the thing is the players have to be prepared to do so. Players have to be able to execute technical; tactical movements,” said Mr Sablon. “If they cannot, you have to step backwards again to progressively introduce a way of moving… Build up again slowly and try to reach our targets.”

But he remained optimistic in his outlook, even going as far as to predict a “new generation for the national team in 2018”.

“When we made the proposition to enter the (predominantly) under-21 Young Lions into the S.League, we made a plan to play tournaments… So we play the SEA (Southeast Asian) Games in August 2017 and in 2018 start qualification for the AFC Cup,” said Mr Sablon.

“It means this very young team will progress; they will come to 23, 24 years old after the SEA Games and then should be ready to take over as the next generation and represent the country on the international stage.”

[​IMG]

(Photo: Justin Ong)

“NO COPY-PASTE OF BELGIAN SYSTEM”

Underpinning his vision is a philosophical “Singaporean style of play” Mr Sablon defined as “fast-passing offensive football based on a winning spirit". But on Tuesday he qualified his position, stating that the “playing system should be the result of the development of players”.

“The system in itself is not so important. The main thing is the players are developed to be technically, tactically, physically and mentally strong enough to perform well in a game,” he explained. “Belgium, at the time, already had players going through a whole education system for many years and were ready to play the game. Now in Singapore we’re in a phase where we don’t play this system yet - we prepare players, improve them… It will take at least one year before implementing this way of attacking, fast-passing football.”

Asked how he would ensure that what worked for Belgium would work for Singapore too, Mr Sablon said: “We will never copy-paste the system for sure. For Singapore, what we are doing is taking into account the local culture, quality of football; the typical things each country has and then adapt and improve it knowing we have the experience and knowledge.”

He added: “The problem is if we introduce this plan now, it will take some time before we see any results and that’s perhaps one of the most challenging things in Singapore. But for a few projects, we can see the results very soon. For example in physical development; development of goalkeepers; coaching education - these are things you can see in one to two years already.”

[​IMG]

‘DEVELOPING, NOT WINNING’

However Mr Sablon said the success of his project also hinged on its uniform application by schools, Junior Centres of Excellence (JCOEs), competitions, clubs and private academies alike.

“They must all follow the same streamlined idea - where the main thing is developing players, not winning games,” he explained. “We are following the same philosophy to make the players better players and better persons. It’s useful if they are all provided with the same instructions. That, for the players, is the best way to develop and go faster to the top.”

Mr Sablon also acknowledged that the increase in training magnitude proposed by his blueprint posed “a huge” problem.

“The main part of the 11 projects of the development plan is training - a lot of training, for example more than 50 hours in a week just to develop goalkeepers, while at the JCOES we now want to train three times a week instead of one. In every part of the development project we are increasing the number of training sessions,” he said. “We have to try and convince the people and the different stakeholders to work with us.”

This call for “stakeholders” to get behind his plan emerged again when Mr Sablon was quizzed on his role in determining FAS’ budget for youth development.

“I don’t know exactly because this is to be discussed with the executive committee, but I know they are behind the whole programme, keeping in mind we should make priorities, probably,” he said. “But overall, there is much support from FAS for all the plans presented yesterday.

“I’m confident things will be done, and again we need support from stakeholders like the Ministry of Education, Ministry of (Culture, Community and Youth) in order to improve the quality of football here – and most importantly, to prepare the next generation of youths in Singapore.”

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired

Schooling beats Phelps in 100m fly event in Austin

[​IMG]
    TODAY file photo.

He clocked 51.58s, ahead of Phelps who finished in 51.65s

By Adelene Wong
    Published: 10:15 AM, June 4, 2016
    Updated: 8:55 PM, June 4, 2016

SINGAPORE — National swimmer Joseph Schooling has beaten 18-time Olympic gold medalist Michael Phelps at the Austin Elite Invite held at the University of Texas.

With two months to go to the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, where Schooling is looking to make history as the first Singaporean swimmer to bag an Olympics medal, the 20-year-old showed fine form to take gold in the 100m butterfly final this morning (Singapore time).

He touched home 51.58s to win the event, ahead of his childhood idol and 2016 Olympics rival Phelps, who finished second in 51.65s. Another American swimmer, Jack Conger, was third in 51.72s.

Schooling had entered the final as the third-fastest qualifier, timing 53.40s, behind David Nolan (53.24s) and Phelps (53.25s).

Phelps, 30, is the current world record holder in the 100m and 200m butterfly (49.82s and 1min 51.51s respectively). Both records were set clocked in 2009.

Schooling, who still has the 200m butterfly event left at the Austin Elite Invite, told the Singapore media that he was very happy with his performance because he managed to improve on his time.

“A few weeks ago I did a 51.86 and I managed to shave it to 51.58,” he said. “Coach Eddie (Reese) and I have worked out a plan which leads all the way to the Olympics and with this result, it shows that I am on the right track."

He admitted that the win over Phelps was also a huge confidence booster. “This win is extremely significant for me, because I managed to beat my idol, Michael Phelps. This sets a great precedent for the Olympic Games and I am really looking forward to a showdown in Rio,” he added.

In an interview with swimming news website Swimming World, Schooling said that he struggled to find his stroke for the first 25m. “So I just put my head down and try to muscle in more,” he recalled. The final 25m though was when the strain kicked in but he pushed on.

“It started to hurt the last 20m or 25m. I saw Jack and Michael coming in, so I just tried to keep my head down, get my hand on the wall. I didn’t really do a good job with my finish – I took like three kicks underneath to get to the wall, and one stroke under the flag, which was pretty pathetic,” he said.

“But I am just happy I got my hand on the wall first and that is the most important thing. It’s great (for my confidence). My first time racing Phelps – I think it was in 2011. So five years later, finally I can get one up against him and what’s better is that it is in 2016. But I know Michael is still there in hard training – they just came from high altitude training.”

And Schooling is confident that he will need to keep improving as he counts down to the Olympics. “A lot of things will be better in a month, and even better in two months. So I got to be better in two months. Now I know it feels great," he said. "In two weeks, I am going to Florida (for training), come back in another two weeks, rest here for three and the half weeks and then fly to Rio and meet my team for the Olympics.”

When asked if he will be aiming for a particular time in Rio, Schooling said: “Not really, I don’t. Time really becomes irrelevant at that level. It is all about who can win. Right now, we just all got to race tough. That’s what most important.”

National swimming head coach Sergio Lopez, who was Schooling's coach when he was studying at the Bolles School in Florida, said: "It’s exciting times for Joseph. Swimming against Phelps, he missed out on his personal best by 0.6 seconds, but still placed first.

"I know he was excited to race Michael and I am very happy for him. This swim is another indicator that he is moving in the right direction for Rio."

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Passion drives Tan’s quest for success

[​IMG]

Singapore’s Stefanie Tan with her singles title in the Baku F2 event in Azerbaijan. Tan gave up an attractive job in finance to pursue her dream of competing in a Grand Slam one day. Photo: Team Singapore’s Facebook page

S’porean tennis pro wins back-to-back titles to vindicate career switch

By Noah Tan
    Published: 4:00 AM, June 14, 2016

SINGAPORE — When Singapore tennis player Stefanie Tan graduated with a master’s degree in finance back in May last year, she was confronted with one of the most difficult choices she had to make as she stood at the crossroads of her life.

After being offered a financially attractive job in the financial sector, the 23-year-old seriously contemplated ending her tennis career in order to climb the corporate ladder.

Tan’s passion for the sport eventually won out. Despite being fully aware of the many challenges a professional career in tennis would entail, she decided to stick it out and pursue her lifelong dream of competing in a Grand Slam one day.

“It was a very tough decision for me to decide whether or not to compete professionally,” Tan told TODAY. “I was on the verge of commencing my career in the finance sector, but eventually turned down the attractive job offer in order to play tennis.

“I knew there was so much more in the sport that I could achieve and hadn’t yet accomplished, such as playing in a Grand Slam. The journey since has been challenging, and I’ve had to put in a lot of hard work, sweat and tears to becoming a professional player.”

Having decided to put a lucrative career in the corporate sector on hold, it is ironic that one of the constant challenges Tan faces in her career as a professional player has to do with finances. “Tennis is an expensive sport, and I knew it wasn’t a financially wise decision to pursue it,” explained Tan. “It is extremely costly to compete on the pro circuit and sometimes our earnings from playing, or winning a tournament cannot even cover the cost of things like airfare, hotel and food.

“It can get difficult at times, and I have to thank my parents for supporting me financially.

“I am also lucky to have the support of Sport Singapore, as they allow me access to their facilities like the gym, as well as services such as the rehabilitation and sports massages.”

Tan took the first steps towards realising her Grand Slam dream last week as she clinched her first professional singles title in the International Tennis Federation professional circuit by winning the $10,000 (S$13,550) Baku Cup Futures 2 tournament in Azerbaijan.

She followed that triumph up with another title five days later, teaming up with Kazakhstan’s Kamila Kerimbayeva to win the Doubles title in the $10,000 Baku Cup Futures 3 event.

The victories — which saw her pocket a total of US$1,337 — ensured that Tan returned to the Women’s Tennis Association rankings once again for the first time in five years. She is now placed at world No 886.

Despite her recent achievements, Tan is not planning to rest on her laurels. “It was great to end the series of tournaments in Baku on a high note with the doubles title following the singles title,” said Tan.

“But I’m not entirely satisfied because I have aspects of my game I need to continue to improve on to compete at an even higher level.

“So it’s back to the drawing board again for me.”

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Cancer could not stop Zhu from coaching Singapore gymnasts to SEA Games glory

[​IMG]
    Even as she grew weak from cancer, coach Zhu Xiaoping managed to guide Singapore's gymnastics team to a first gold in last year's SEA Games group all-around competition.ST PHOTO: SEAH KWANG PENG

Published
    Jun 17, 2016, 8:44 pm SGT

Ng Keng Gene
    kenggene@sph.com.sg

SINGAPORE - Taking pride of place in the living room of a four-room flat in Sengkang are a thousand paper cranes strung and hung over a television.

Painstakingly made three years ago by Singapore's rhythmic gymnasts, the origami cranes were meant for their coach Zhu Xiaoping, or "Zhu lao shi", as she is affectionately known.

Unrelenting in her training, authoritative yet not authoritarian, she is beloved by her gymnasts. The cranes, or senbazuru, have their roots in a Japanese legend that grants a wish from the heavens to one who folds a thousand cranes.

Today, Zhu is unsure if there will even be a tomorrow. Suffering from Stage 4 colon cancer, her doctor could not tell her if she will recover or how much time she has left.

But even as she grew weak from the illness, her dedication and commitment to her sport never wavered as she guided the Singapore team to a first gold in last year's SEA Games group all-around competition.

"I'm not somebody who can tell when my body needs to rest, and I'm very focused, so I find it difficult to slack off. It's as if I've sold my life to the sport," said the 56-year-old in Mandarin, whose hair is thinning from chemotherapy but who still sounded full of energy.

For her selfless dedication, Zhu will be one of two recipients - along with marathoner Ashley Liew - of a special award at the Singapore Sports Awards next Thursday (June 23).

Minister for Social and Family Development and Singapore National Olympic Council president Tan Chuan-Jin visited Zhu at her home Friday (June 17) morning and praised her.

He said: "Coach Zhu Xiaoping put her athletes and Singapore Gymnastics' interests above her own health and served selflessly to help them prepare for the 28th SEA Games. Her dedication to sport is admirable."

When Zhu was first diagnosed with cancer, it had already spread to her liver and lymph nodes. But she felt compelled to help the gymnasts when their coach left abruptly in December 2014 for personal reasons as it was only six months to go before the Games.

Unfazed by the task of preparing the athletes within a short span of time, the Jiangxi native led the girls in training up to six times a week in the lead-up to the Games.

The intensive sessions bore fruit when the historic gold was won and she was given the job permanently.
    However, the cancer spread to parts of her womb and stomach lining last July.

"How could I be happy? I felt that my condition had worsened so I was prepared for it. I decided to treat it like the flu. Now I live every day like it's my last," said Zhu.

Ann Sim, who was part of the gold-winning team and had been trained by Zhu since 2007, remembers how the coach tried her best not to let her condition affect her handling of the team.

"Her stamina during training was different, but the standards she demanded from us remained the same," said the 21-year old student.

"Her style and attitude did not change, and she was always very dedicated to the sport and strict with us during training."

Zhu's love of the sport and her athletes is apparent when one walks around the Sengkang flat she shares with husband Lin Zhenqiu and their 28-year-old daughter.

Lining multiple walls of the flat are numerous photographs from her time as a coach, from the beginning of her career in China at the age of 20, to her arrival here in 2007, and to the first Youth Olympic Games in 2010, when she led Singapore to a fifth-place finish in the group all-around event.

Lin was the national coach of Singapore's men's artistic gymnastics team, but his contract was not renewed upon expiring last month.

"It pains me to see him at home without anything to do, because he was doing a fine job coaching the men's team and they won five medals at last year's SEA Games. Now we have no income so we have to rely on our savings," she lamented.

Choy Kah Kin, the president of Singapore Gymnastics, said the association is "exploring job opportunities" for Lin to assist the couple as they "have contributed a lot".

Zhu will be undergoing a more intensive round of chemotherapy in two weeks.

To pass her time, she plays with her neighbours' children every morning while occasionally knitting plush toys. Despite not coaching them any more, she also meets her gymnasts for meals.

She said: "It's difficult for me now that I cannot work, and my days are probably numbered.

"For us coaches, the sport is always the most important. But at the end of the day, there's nothing you can do without a healthy body. All your dreams will be meaningless without it."

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Woman windsurfer to represent S’pore at Olympics for first time

[​IMG]

National windsurfer Audrey Yong has been nominated to represent Singapore at the 2016 Olympics. Photo: SingaporeSailing

Audrey Yong nominated for the unusued quota place awarded to Singapore

By Adelene Wong
    Published: 8:55 PM, June 24, 2016

SINGAPORE – For the first time, a woman windsurfer will fly Singapore’s flag at the Olympics.

This comes after the Singapore National Olympic Council (SNOC) announced today (June 24) that it has been granted an unused quota place in the RS:X Women’s windsurfing event for the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro this August. The SNOC was granted the spot by World Sailing, the international federation governing the sport of sailing.

The SNOC said today that Singapore national windsurfer, Audrey Yong, has been nominated by the Singapore Sailing Federation for the spot, and that the SNOC selection committee “supports and endorses their nomination”.

The unused quota place is awarded based on results at the 2015 RS:X World Championship in Oman last October. While Yong did not compete in that regatta, teammate Nicole Lim did, and the latter’s results placed Singapore high enough in the rankings to be awarded the quota slot for the 2016 Olympics. Lim did not continue her campaign for the Olympics after that event.

“It feels surreal to have been given the chance to represent Singapore at the Olympics. I still can’t believe it,” said Yong, 21, who was named Sailor of the Year at the Singapore Sailing Federation Annual Awards last week.

“My family, friends and the Federation have been a great support in all my sporting endeavours. I am incredibly grateful.

“I started windsurfing 8 years ago and I have never looked back ever since. It’s been an amazing experience and I am honoured to have been given the opportunity to represent our country.”

Some of Yong’s notable achievements include a bronze medal at the 2010 Youth Olympic Games (YOG) in the techno 293 class. More recently, last December, Yong took Singapore’s first windsurfing gold medal at the South-east Asian Games in 26 years, after triumphing in the RS:X event in the 2015 edition on home ground.

If Yong, 21, is confirmed for the Olympic spot, she will join fellow national windsurfer Leonard Ong in Rio.

Ong booked his spot in the men’s RS:X class earlier in March at the Asian Sailing Federation (ASAF) Asian Championship in Abu Dhabi, while Yong narrowly missed out. The last Singaporean windsurfer to compete at the Olympics is the late Kelly Chan, who went for the 1984 edition in Los Angeles.

With Yong’s pending inclusion to Team Singapore’s 2016 Olympic roster, it brings the total number of the country’s Rio-bound athletes to 22. Out of the 22, 10 are sailors.

“Our women’s windsurfer won a YOG bronze, a SEA Games gold - both unprecedented - and narrowly missed out on Olympic qualification,” said Ben Tan, president of the Singapore Sailing Federation (SSF). “SSF is grateful that Singapore has landed an Olympic slot as the next best qualifier, as that will help us better prepare for 2020.”

A larger list of athletes was also given in-principle endorsement by the SNOC on May 31. The SNOC added that there are “at least three more athletes who are waiting to receive the nod” for the 2016 Olympics from their respective federations.

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singaporean athletes are not hungry enough to win: National swimmer Tao Li

National Swimmer Tao Li went "On the Record" with 938LIVE about integrating foreign-born athletes, getting that hunger in Singapore’s athletes, and her thoughts on life outside the pool.
    • By Bharati Jagdish, 938LIVE
    • Posted 25 Jun 2016 10:33
    • Updated 25 Jun 2016 16:42

[​IMG] Singapore's Tao Li after winning the 100m backstroke in the 2013 SEA Games. (Photo: Jack Board)

SINGAPORE: She was the daughter of swimming coaches in China, but was told that she was too short for the country’s national swim team. Since coming to Singapore at the age of 13, Tao Li has been driven to build a successful career out of defiance – that same defiance which has at times been reflected in controversial statements over the years, on issues such as youth development and funding.

Following a successful games in Beijing, where she finished 5th in the 100m butterfly, Tao Li entered the 2012 Olympics as a medal hopeful; but in her pet events, failed marginally to reach the finals. The games in London were therefore her last. Citing her age, she announced early this year that she would not be headed to Rio. The 26-year-old, however, still has her eyes on the 2017 SEA Games and the 2018 Asian Games. And for now, she’s added two more things to her “to do” list – focusing on her new swim school, the Tao Li Swimming Club, and on completing her studies.

She went “On the Record” with Bharati Jagdish – on integrating foreign-born athletes, getting that hunger in Singapore’s athletes, and her thoughts on life outside the pool. They started first with her decision to change focus this year.

Tao Li: I think I want to focus on one thing. This year, I want to focus on my studies. But this will take up only a little bit of my time during the day, so I thought I should finally set up a swimming school.

I've seen many sportsmen who don't know what to do after their swimming life. Immediately, they stop, and they feel that it’s not the life that they want. I’ve always wanted to start a swimming school. So since I have time now, why not just start it now?

Bharati Jagdish: You have, however said that it is a regret of yours to not be able to win an Olympic medal.

Tao Li: Yes.

Bharati Jagdish: So I'm just trying to reconcile the two, this desire to start a life after sports, or to at least engineer a life after sports, versus this big regret that you feel not having won an Olympic medal. Why would you feel a sense of regret when it was a conscious decision that you made to not even compete in the Olympics this year?

Tao Li: Well, if I go to the Olympic Games this year, I would want to win a medal. But, considering everything, I don't think I have the ability to get a medal in this short period of time because last year’s results, even though I was a SEA Games champion, I know I will not be able to win an Olympic medal. So it’s best for me to slow it down and just focus on other things.

Bharati Jagdish: Why couldn’t you become good enough to actually attain an Olympic medal this year?

Tao Li: I think the first thing is my age, as there’s a limit. It’s already there. My recovery and everything has slowed down, and my injuries, my knees injuries, my shoulder injuries. So it's hard for me to train that hard to get me to the top again. I think I should do something else.

Bharati Jagdish: Over the last few years though, why haven’t you been able to reach Olympic medal standards?

Tao Li: I became distracted during my peak. I lost my focus. There were things – like I had to change coaches.

THE IDEAL COACH

Bharati Jagdish: You have said before that having three coaches in four years leading up to the London Olympics disrupted your preparations, and after that you could not regain peak form.

Tao Li: It's not that I really want to change coach because there's something going on. At that time I was still young. I ended up with a coach that I was not really comfortable with. But I had no choice, because you live in Singapore, and that's the coach that they help you find, and you have to stay with him. Once you change coaches too many times, and you don't produce results, they'll think that you just blame others and actually all the problems are coming from you. I produced good results on the Asian level, so it was okay.

Bharati Jagdish: While you showed results at the Asian level, you have said that you couldn’t at the Olympic level. One could say that indeed, as you put it, “all the problems are coming from you.” These were qualified coaches. But you didn’t want to work with some of them, and now you’ve said that the changes were distracting. Were you the problem?

Tao Li: I think that's the part that’s difficult to explain to the government. The government is not a sportsperson. They just think that, “Oh, this coach is good on paper. This coach is an Olympic gold medalist, and they have produced so many good athletes. Why can’t we just fit you in with this coach?” But different people need different sorts of training. I did ask my first coach, Peter Churchill to come back, but they rejected it because they had already hired a coach.

Bharati Jagdish: What were you looking for in your coach?

Tao Li: I’m kind of lazy. If no one is there, I will just cut corners. So I always look for a coach that can be strict, yet flexible. Strict on certain things, but sometimes when you know the athlete really feels tired, just let them rest, before pushing it some more. So I ended up having some coaches who were “no, no, no.” Everything is “no”, and (you) must do the things that he thinks is right.

But we athletes have thoughts and ideas too, so we really want to explain our thoughts to the coaches, and hope the coach can understand.

Bharati Jagdish: You wanted a consultative type of relationship.

Tao Li: Yes.

TAO LI - A “DIVA”?

Bharati Jagdish: People thought you were being a diva, not just when it came to your coaches, but also, in 2008, when the Singapore Swimming Association (SSA) introduced a 15 per cent levy on the cash awards given to winning swimmers like you, with about 6 per cent set aside for youth development. You said: “If they [the SSA] want to cultivate youth, they should find their own money, not pay using our awards. It's through our hard work that we got the money.” You also said it had been your school and not the SSA that had borne the expense of your overseas training, but why can’t you be more supportive of the “tax” so to speak, considering it was going towards developing talent in swimming, a field you’ve said you care about and want to contribute to?

Tao Li: Yeah. But award money is different. They always think you're here because you want the money, but the thing is, if you don't work hard, if you don't for example, get the Asian Games gold medal, how will you have the money?

Bharati Jagdish: But some taxpayers’ money went into your development, so why do you object when part of your award money goes towards other sportspeople’s development? You come off as being selfish.

Tao Li: But before I became a famous person, back when nobody knew me, how I got there - nobody wants to see that. They just see when you get famous, and then they’ll say you just want the money. No. Not true. We have to work hard for the money that is there, for every single, cent. It's not only me. If you swim and win the Asian gold medal, you will also get the money.

Bharati Jagdish: You earned it.

Tao Li: Yeah, but people don't think of it that way.

Bharati Jagdish: How does that make you feel?

Tao Li: I feel angry. We are people too, so when other people talk bad about you, you'll feel hurt, or irritated, or things like that. But that's life. That’s what you have to face. At the most, I can just ignore it.

[​IMG]

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    GETTING SPONSORS ON BOARD

Bharati Jagdish: You have managed to get your own sponsors. In fact, you've been held up as an example - you and a few other athletes have been held up as examples when it comes to winning sponsorships. To what extent do you believe it’s the athletes’ responsibility to find their own money?

Tao Li: Yes, but sponsors are only looking for their own benefits. They're not looking at how hard you train. They always look for results. So if you're good, they'll come to you. They'll find a way to look for you. Even if they don't have your phone number, they will go to websites to look for you, to ask the Government for your phone number. If you're not good, and you ask for them for help, they will help you. But it’ll be small, like a few T-shirts, a few pairs of shoes. So if you're good and you get results, they will help you in the sense that you can make a good living.

Bharati Jagdish: A lot of athletes may say, “How will I become good if you don't help me to begin with?”

Tao Li: I think that's how the world works. They only see the results. It’ll be hard for them to pick a 10 year-old girl with potential because even though she has potential, how are they going to know that she’ll be good in the future. You might give up halfway. Then what? All the money invested is gone. So as a business organization, they won't take that risk.

SINGAPORE ATHLETES AND HUNGER

Bharati Jagdish: So what's your advice to athletes who are trying to make it. Or people who are thinking about a career in sport, considering that you may not get a lot of support until you prove you're good. What's your advice to athletes whose calibre may be a question mark, even to themselves?

Tao Li: Once you choose a sport, you need to really focus, and really go for it, and don't give up. So now I'm actually coaching the older athletes, like 14, 15-year-old athletes. They just maybe come 5 times a week and wonder, “How come I'm not improving?” So when I was an athlete, I didn’t see these kinds of things, but now that I've become a coach, I do. They look at each other and say, “If he could not come for training today, maybe tomorrow I won’t come for training.” They’ll think, “It’s so hard for me to wake up in the morning, and have to go into the water, and to do some intensity work. I don't want to, because after that I need to go school.” They think that's too tiring for them. They don't really have the mindset. And they're not hungry enough to want to win. Because if you want something badly, even if you have to go to work after this, you will come early, you will come on time. I did it.

Bharati Jagdish: And if you don't get the results, you only have yourself to blame, because you didn't come on time, you didn't go for training. But something has to be said about making it easier for athletes to train full-time.

Tao Li: Yes, but even for that, they have to make sacrifices. I don’t see that. They have to become good to find sponsors, get government money. Unfortunately in Singapore, most of the athletes or their parents will think that it's your fault.

Bharati Jagdish: It's “your fault” as in it’s the coach's fault?

Tao Li: Yeah, they think it's the coach's fault that you're not bringing their child up to that level. And they don't consider how many sessions their children come (for), and whether even though you came, whether you put in effort - things like that. They don't really care.

Bharati Jagdish: But you yourself said that who your coach is, is very important to your success.

Tao Li: But you still have to work hard for it. People won’t just give it to you.

Bharati Jagdish: So have you already gotten complaints?

Tao Li: Not yet, not yet. Probably because I'm still new in the coaching area, so they think, “You're good and you have a lot of knowledge.” So they haven't start complaining yet.

Bharati Jagdish: It’s the coach’s job to motivate the athletes. What are you doing to motivate them?

Tao Li: I've tried to explain, educate them that it's very important that they come for every single session. You have to have progress. Just like school. You cannot go to school for one day, and you rest five days, and you go the next day. People will already be learning other things and you won’t be able to follow. Then that's forever gone. So they'll say, “Yes, yes, yes.” But then they come to the pool, and they just do whatever they like. They must want to do it.

Bharati Jagdish: Why do you think people aren't hungry, like you were hungry?

Tao Li: I think it's because they really have a good family here. They have everything they need. Their parents are working really hard, they have cars, and they have the house. They don't see any need to really work hard, because the parents provide (it) for them. But for me, it was different, because when I first came here, I had to rent a house, and had to ride a bicycle to my school and my training place. I had to run up and down. So it was a very difficult time for me.

Bharati Jagdish: Is that regret for you - that you don’t come from a more fortunate, rich family?

Tao Li: No, I think if I come from a wealthier family, I may not feel that hungry that I would want to become a champion.

Bharati Jagdish: What will it take for Singaporeans to have a sense of hunger in spite of our generally comfortable lives?

Tao Li: I think it's the system that we need to change. Especially life after sports. In sports, the government has set up a really good system. You can get a scholarship if you are really good. So actually you don't have to worry about work. Now the only thing is that after sports, what are you going to do? So you have to let the parents see that after sports, you have many options, become a coach, learn sport science, etc. You need to sacrifice some of the comforts to become a really good athlete.

Bharati Jagdish: Do you think parents should take away some of these things from their children to show them the importance of working hard?

Tao Li: Yes, I think it's very, very important because if they give them everything, why should they work to become anything.

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    MANAGING THE POLITICS OF SPORTS

Bharati Jagdish: We talked earlier about some of the controversies you’ve been involved in – the coach issue and prize money issues. You mentioned to me off-air earlier that there's a lot of politics in sports. How do you deal with it?

Tao Li: I'm very lucky. My first coach, Peter Churchill let me stay away from politics. Once you get older, you have to step into all the politics. But I'm lucky because my results are good, so they can't really do anything about it, like tell me what to do or not do.

Bharati Jagdish: But then as you said, as you got older, you had to get involved. How do you stay focused on the sport while having to deal with all this?

Tao Li: I just don't care. For me, personally, I just don't care. Because I think that if I care about the politics, I can't produce results and the situation will get worse. I'm not hired or employed by the Singapore Swimming Association, so I should have the freedom to speak up for myself. I just speak my mind. And then they don't really dare to really push you.

They are careful in managing me, because once I let the public know, it could become a big hoo-ha. I think they're a bit scared of me. That's always my strategy - once I'm good, you can't do anything to me.

Bharati Jagdish: We talked about your issues with coaches. What kind of a coach are you?

Tao Li: Fierce on (the) field, but I will explain to them why I'm doing this, and let them understand why it is going this way. In the swimming pool, you can never negotiate with me. Outside the swimming pool, we can be friends. If you need help, anything that you need, I can help you. I can give you advice.

HER MOTHER – HER BIGGEST MOTIVATION

Bharati Jagdish: You talk a lot about your mother. Was she your biggest influence?

Tao Li: Yes. My mum is my biggest motivation and influence, and she's the only one in Singapore who is always beside me no matter what problems I face. Her life here is not easy as well, because we were new to this country and my mum didn’t speak English, we didn't have a really good foundation here, so we really had to start from zero in this country. In Singapore if you don't speak English, people will sometimes ignore you. And even though we Singaporeans can speak Chinese, we don't feel comfortable doing it. But my mum can only speak Chinese. So sometimes she faced some difficulties and she didn't know what to do. She felt lost, and I felt pretty sad for her, and I felt like I really should do well in this country. That’s the only way that I can pay her back.

Bharati Jagdish: She made sure that you assimilated.

Tao Li: Well, when I first came to Singapore, I was so reluctant to speak English and I didn’t really care. Because my swimming was really good in China, and at that time my province had no one who could really swim. I was in the top 8 at the national level. So I was quite a big deal in my province. Then I came to Singapore and no one cared. Only my mum chased me everyday about learning English and going to class. I felt a bit down. And I had no friends here, because of the language issues. I was always crying and quarreling with my mum saying that I want to go home and then she just said “no”.

She said: "You just stay here for another 2 more years. If we can, then we’ll go on. If we cannot, then we’ll go home." After a while, after Primary 6, I made some friends here. I slowly adapted to this environment, this country, so I felt okay. People also noticed my swimming, and I always appeared in the newspapers. So I got more confidence in myself.

#80 Loh, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016