Site for video reviews

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by sebastientromp, Sep 7, 2015.

1. sebastientromp

sebastientromp Regular Member

Hello BC!

I am Sébastien Tromp, a squash player with former badminton experience (I played for about 10 years before switch sports due to a lack of infrastructure and clubs in my new location).

In both these sports I have been (and still am) trying to use video review to improve my game. The main issue I've faced was to have someone look at my recordings to tell me how to improve.

While doing research on the net I found the post here at BC. And I must say I'm impressed by how many players share their experience and help each other. You have a wonderful community here :)

I see you mainly use YouTube and the forums here to comment on videos, and it seems to work rather well.
    Still, browsing the threads, I found that some things were cumbersome. You need to have two tabs open, one for the video, one for the comments. When someone mentions a specific time in the video, you have to go on YouTube to search the video for the proper place. You can't easily watch something in slow motion.

It's an issue I've also been facing when doing squash reviews, and with a friend we've decided to build a website to address this.
    Our goals are to:
    • reinforce the interactions between the comments and the video. If you say something, I want to be able to click on that to be taken to the exact time in the video that you refer to, and either get a still image (to study the position) or a slow motion to study the movement. And possibly even get that to loop for as many times as I need it!
    • allow the most useful comments to be displayed prominently (through a voting system)
    • allow richer interactions methods than written comments. It could include other videos and sound, but mainly it would be drawing shapes and figures on the video to illustrate specific points
    • make all of this searchable, so that when I want to know how to hit good backhand smashes, I can already have a look at everything other players have posted
    • We are also looking at the possibility to let professional coaches provide paid advice on videos

It's still the very beginning for us (we started about a month ago), and we have a basic prototype available (read "we don't have all these features implemented yet, but are working actively on them").

We now want to get this into the hands of people familiar with video reviews to understand what we lack and how we could make this much better for video reviewing.

I have started PMing some of you who posted on the "Post videos of yourself playing" thread, and one of you suggested I open a new one here to pick your mind :)

Thanks for bearing with me, and please don't hesitate if you have any question / suggestion / criticism!

Oh, and the site URL: http://www.zerotoheroes.com/#/reviews

Thanks!
    Sébastien