Sony

Discussion in 'World Championships 2007' started by ricefield, Aug 18, 2007.

1. ricefield

ricefield Regular Member

Anyone feel that everyone is giving overestimating Sony? Reading some of the threads, it seems a lot of people think that he will even beat LD for the final.

Sure, he's playing very well recently, and he eliminated 3 seeds, but its not THAT impressive. Sony beat LCW, but then again, LCW was playing like ****, so its not like it was extremely impressive. He beat Gade, but PG hasn't been exactly been very amazing lately. And then he beat CY.. ok.. but didnt LD destroy CY in the AE2007 final?

Overall, i think Sony is having a good streak, but LD has been at the top very consistently and has a very high chance of beating Sony

2. TKG2609

TKG2609 Regular Member

peter gade is 2 old, lee chong wei can not take the pressure, n taufik is lazy .... so we need someone to challenge SUPER DAN .... n here come Sony ....

3. Simoneolivelli

Simoneolivelli Regular Member

In my opinion Kuncoro failed tactic in first set, and in the second when he leads 19-17. If you lift the shuttle around the head of lin dan, or, anyway, two lift in the same corner...you will be died.

4. monkeymagic

monkeymagic Regular Member

Sony was totally at sea in the first game.... and then in the 2nd game he came alive ! and started doing lots of tight next drops.... and changing his variety of play.... that caught LD off guard.

In badminton you don't know how good or bad the oppenent is til you are actually playing them..... I think Sony did well to get to the finals. He battled and battled... just look at the CY game.... he just fought back after 1 set down..... other people would have given up !

He's fit but not as fit as LD...... LD always has plenty of tank !

5. dannyang

dannyang Regular Member

LD always less concentrate when he is leading.
    if Sony could take the 2nd game, LD still could beat Sony in the rubber game.
    LD always performs superb in the deciding game.

6. shenron

shenron Regular Member

It seems like LD is too dominant at the moment with other players could not challenge or defeat him except when he has an off day (sometimes). So far, only few players could challenge him like TH and LCW, but they are not consistent or strong enough that saw their early exit in this WC.

It is fate that CHN has LD which continues to win most of the times, same as MAS has Nicol David for Squash. For this type of players, they are gifted that keeps on winning or easily bounce back if they are beaten by their closest rivals. What else could be said, whether we like it or not, they are the true champions.

#6 shenron, Aug 19, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  7. Gitlis

Gitlis Regular Member

I was indeed impressed with Sony's superb play in this tournament and highly respect his perseverance. Salute Sony!

However, from the technical perspective, I don't think he is in the same league as LD. As one could notice, LD didn't smash so much as he did in his early career. I have kept in track of his performance in SO, CM and WC. As confirmed from a press interview, I think LD was practicing new tactics. He enjoyed more controlling the game and manipulating the pace of the game. He is still in the middle of this transition and some aspects of his skills (especially net skill) have yet to be improved. But I think he is on the way to a true master. If he played in the way he was used to but didn't experiment, the game would have even less suspense.

8. bic33

bic33 Regular Member

watch the match please, at one point in the second set, LD was leading by 7 or 8 points, then sony stormed back...
    watch how SONY came back.. does it remind you of how TAUFIK played against LD in AG in DOHA? :D:D:p

it's the same moves, he kept LD out of pace, keeping him form smashing, unforunately, in the end, LD was still better... but kudos to sony's performance..:D

if you watched carefully, it wasn't that LD wasn't smashing too often in the 2nd set, it was just sony's keeping LD out of his pace... reference: sudirman cup LCW vs LD.... AG TH vs LD...
    that is how you beat LD.. but i guess th and lcw can only do it..:p

9. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    ahh... time for the must for every tournament - post morteming the results!

10. bic33

bic33 Regular Member

of course, to be able to become a good player like them, we should analyze...
    just like what LYB does after each game, eventhough his players won...:D

11. haifeng4ever

haifeng4ever Regular Member

Eventhough Sony lost, but he gave a good fight over LD. Thumbs up to him!

12. dannyang

dannyang Regular Member

yes, we overestimate Sony.
    it remind me of how CJ beat sony in Swiss Open.

13. me-ow

me-ow Regular Member

sony play well today... eventhough he lost. although less practice (program) than the other teammate... but he work hard to recover from his injured. He start his program just a week before WC. I know coz i watched his practise. to catch up with other, he show one hour before practise n come home late than other. actually he felt dissapoint (just finish talking to him a minuate ago) lost from Lin Dan. But he eager to beat him if they meet again....

14. shenron

shenron Regular Member

In the contrary, LD also willing to beat Sony easily if they happen to meet again as he will make a necessary preparation for players that could threat him in the future, don`t you think so?....he he.

15. MSHSBadmPlayer

MSHSBadmPlayer Regular Member

sony played very well.
    compare this to him against qiu yanbo in china open (2006?), where he lost 1-2, and you'll see how much improvements he has made.

16. volcom

volcom Regular Member

How old is Sony?

17. me-ow

me-ow Regular Member

just turn 23 last month

18. volcom

volcom Regular Member

wow... he has a good future ahead of him

19. me-ow

me-ow Regular Member

as long as he didn't injured him self again.... :p:p:p

20. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Are you sure? I think Sony lost to LD in SUI SuperSeries last March with straight-set at QF round.