squash vs badminton

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kmodak, Jun 15, 2006.

1. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    hmm.. which is more demanding.. like it's already been said - these two sports are quite different - i personally love to watch both.. peter nicol is an idol for anybody - his general fitness and dedication to his sport are something all kids should learn from.

hmm.. but to compare - lets break it down into some key areas
    technical
    strategy
    power/strength
    agility
    cardio fitness.

technical - as somebody who plays squash has already said - there are very few / perhaps no wristy deception shots that can be played, and little is played overhead so technically i would give this to badminton 5-3

strategy... based on what i have seen on telly - i would say there is little between the two sports. things like changing pace, working on opponents weaknesses, working the umpires.. all get done in both sports. a draw - 5-5

power / strength.. difficult this one.. a badminton player needs enormous explosive power and leg strength for the jumping and leaping. altho little upper body strength due to the weight of the racquet. squash players do little leaping.. but still have to be able to get aroound the court quick.. adn go have a heavier racquet and a more resistant ball... i think this is also a draw.. but neither sport is really about power / strength so a 4-4 draw

agility - well.. this is a draw too - sqaush players are regular flipped from one side to the other lots of twisting and turning and lunging. badmintonplayers the same, loads of twisting, lunging, jumping.. i mean - why would both sets of players where the same shoes if there wren't the same demands. 5-5

cardio - messy this one. both sports can boast insanely long matches, but the way the heart has to deal with the sports is different. badminton is about relatively short hi speed bursts of activity with short recovery times.. so the training is based on getting ur recovery time down to a minimum after short periods of 95-100%effort. squash is about long rally's and about 85-90% and hence the trainig is about getting ur body to cope with working at that constant rate - there are peaks and troughs tho. if i'm honest i would give this to squash.. but only just. 4-5

totalling badminton 23-22.. but i may be wrong about the technical side.. so lets just call it a draw ;)

enjoy

Coops

2. kmodak

kmodak Regular Member

Comments from a Sports Doctor

Recently had a minor muscle injury and hence was seeing a doc who suggested a couple of weeks rest. This weekend I asked him on this subject. Here are his comments.

"Badminton is a definitely a more explosive game and much more demanding on the body and the muscles in general. Get a lot more injured badminton players than squash player."

BTW my period of rest comes to an end this Friday. Then I will be back .......

It is absolute torture not being able to play regularly each week.

3. mandm

mandm Regular Member

i disagree with this statemnt, as i play both games i get constant feedback from my body. After playing squahs for an hour i'm finished, where as i can play badminton (mainly doubles) for three hours and still have energy left for singles...
    I guess the statement might be true for some people but definately not for all. :confused:

4. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    You have to compare apple to apple. My opinion is that singles badminton is much more demanding than squash. You cannot compare it to doubles at all.

5. badmad

badmad Regular Member

agree... singles is much more demanding when compared to doubles (atleast in my level.. an intermediate player... )

6. bendi36

bendi36 Regular Member

i believe squash is a much tougher sport and play both at a high level though badminton considerably higher... it recquires much more speed and endurance at the top level though both are tough... wat r ur thoughts guys?

7. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    I'd like to argue the reverse. My evidence?

Dave Glass, would get to quarterfinals or semifinals in badminton provincials. Switched to squash, provincial winner/finalist, excellent national competitor.

Andrew Boumford. Semifinals in badminton provincials. Switched to squash, among the top in the country.

Alana Miller. Quarterfinals, semifinals in badminton provincials. Round of 16s nationally. Switched to squash. National champion and internationally ranked.

Alix Younger. Badminton provincial champion, national doubles finalist, national singles semifinalist. Switched to squash. National champion and an internationally prominent junior.

8. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    What exactly are you trying to argue? That squash is tougher but badminton is at a higher level? I don't quite understand what that means...

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    the reason being is Qianer is not making a fair comparision.
    His dad, a national level squash player, makes reference of badminton, table tennis to his high level squash play during his prime. I wouldn't doubt that physical demand from his recreational badminton and table tennis plays doesn't match up to those from his national squash days.

10. bendi36

bendi36 Regular Member

squash is much tougher... physically demanding badminton players use the alactic system which is recovery movement basically easy and squash players anaerobic and aerobic... i love badminton more but u cant deny that squash is most prob the hardest sport in the world

11. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

I think the only way to resolve this is someone have identical twins. Put one in each sport, when they are 18-20 put them through physical tests, weight tests. Then we will know for sure.
    Also think of LD, think of Taufik. LD is in better shape, but Taufik can still win. Taufik probably has more efficient movements because of anticipation.

Squash vs badminton
    (international level, physical comparison, data needed)
    - length of rallies
    - number of shots per second
    - court size
    - distance covered per game
    - length between rallies
    - number of directional changes
    - number of lunges
    - number of jumps

Or just look at these two pictures and decide.

2230106_lee_chong_wei.jpg vs PQuick656.jpg

12. westwood_13

Student
    Data needed?

Tomorrow or Thursday, then, I'll search the uni library and consult with the profs in kinesiology, and we shall lay this question to rest, once and for all!

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    that's super!
    i hope u get marks or work credit for this assignment as well;)

this is jmo:
    - in squash, it has too many game stoppage from subjective let calls for interference with your opponent.
    - i'm scare of a side swept from opponent's racket.
    - a feeling of claustrophobia

disclaimer: I'm being biased:p

#33 cooler, Dec 12, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  14. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    Well , I play both at roughly the same level which would be low A

Squash vs badminton

- length of rallies

I find that the time of hitting is slightly longer in Squash. Only by an average of say 3-4 shots. I 've had two shot badminton rallies - I've had many two shots squash rallies. The logest rallies would be from squash at around 35 shots (per person)

- number of shots per second

About the same. The quick shots at the front court are the same. Long at the back awaitng the bounce off the back wall is like waiting for a clear.

- court size

Sqaush is slightly bigger

- distance covered per game
    Far more in badminton. With the new rally 11 in squash, games are quite short. Less time out there running. I also find that I have to cover less distance in squash given the bounce.

- length between rallies
    About the same. Very little down time in either sport

- number of directional changes
    I'd more for badminton. The walls in squash tend to give a player less reason to have to change direction. That and you can have long rallies hitting length down the same wall hoping for a nick or corner.

- number of lunges
    Slight more for badminton, depends on the opponent in squash if they like to play the front or play length.

- number of jumps
    Don't think I've ever jumped in Squash. No reason to.

I'll add:

reaction time

Much higher in badminton. In squash you can let the ball bounce. Even as hard as I pound the ball ( ask Greg Bury) - the better players can dig it off the back wall or boast if it gets past them.

15. westwood_13

Student
    Greg Bury? As in from MB?

He used to coach me! FANTASTIC guy!

16. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    It all depends on your definiton of "hard"..

If you think a marathon run is "harder" than a thai-fighting match, then yes.. But its of course comparing apples and oranges :)

I think Squash is more similar to long-distance running.. little or no jumping, little explosiveness, long rallies..

Badminton (at top level) on the other hand involves continous explosivensee, jumps, leaps and less shorter rallies/games.
    Personally I think badminton is harder beacuse you have to train for BOTH explosive power and endurance.. In most other sports its all about endurance (marathon type, cycling etc) or explosive power (100m, weight lifting etc). I think squash is more endurance and less power..
    I think Squash is more towards endurance.. and less about power/muscles..

But I suspect a top badminton-player most probably will do more double-skip rope-jumps than a squash player..(and maybe the squash player would do more single-skip jumps ?!?!)

I also think top badmintonplayers would legpress more than same level of squash player, and most probably do more sit-ups!

/Twobeer

17. ViningWolff

Process Engineer
    Yep THAT Greg Bury.

He hands me my ass at badminton, but I got him on the squash court ( so far anyways...)

18. westwood_13

Student
    Such an awesome player. I know he went to the National Training Centre to go pro, but for whatever reason... stopped. Ah well.

Tell him Alana Westwood says hi, perhaps he'll remember me!

19. ViningWolff

Process Engineer
  20. Michael-Lam

Michael-Lam Regular Member

Student / Badminton Coach
    lol, well why would you ask that question on a badminton forum?