String break in period

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Alfredhpv, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Alfredhpv

Alfredhpv Regular Member

Accountant
    Recently, I strung my racket at 28 lbs. In the beginning, i feel the string is not enjoyable to play, but after an hour later, the string work really well. May i know if this Is because the string lost tension or the new string require break in period but still hold the same tension ?

2. pepe54

pepe54 Regular Member

Yes, tension loss would be a plausible explanation for it. Did you happen to have your strings pre-stretched? Were there any special finishing knots used? 4 knot / 2knot ?

Apparently pre-stretching decreases tension loss but in turn, sacrifices a strings life. Other points to consider include:
    -According to a chart published by Kason, it depicted a linear tension loss decline over a 24h - 48h period logged at 1h intervals.
    -Evidence from around this forum suggests that the life and responsiveness of a string can also vary based on pre-stretch parameters.
    -One of the Yonex stringers did advocate the fact that once a string is past its viable life, achieving the same hitting result requires significantly more effort from players which could lead to joint injury.

As far as to what causes these changes on a string, I believe it might be due to plastic deformation of some sort and its effect on string elasticity. Hence the idea with pre-stretching is to eliminate the initial deformation phase at the expense of some string life. Thats just my method of rationalizing whats happening though, I might be entirely wrong lol. There is some annecdoctal evidence around here for members who avoid playing with their racquets immediately after being freshly strong for reasons of prolonging string life. Similarly, theres also evidence pointing to certain strings playing phenomenally when fresh (such as bg66um) but turn downhill steeply in a relatively short period of time.

3. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    @pepe54 Are you good in boring ladies with offtopic!?;)

It's just normal that a fresh job plays different compared to a settle one. If you have this problem in the beginning I suggest to knock 1 lbs off. Strings have a different curve of tension loss. Some drop first a big amount and stay, other drop over a period and some drop a big amount over a long time.

What string do you use and when was it strung?