stringing disaster

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by bilbobaggybum, Feb 6, 2010.

1. bilbobaggybum

bilbobaggybum Regular Member

Department Leader
    I've been stringing for about 5 years, mostly for myself but now and again for club mates and friends. I have strung well over 100 rackets, all makes models and shapes. I recentley puchased some apacs z spark rackets and sold them to friends with the undestanding that their first string job would be free.
    when stringing one of them I forgot to clamp one arm of the stringing machine, so when I started to tension up the fram broke.
    My question is how many times has this happened to you fellow stringers and how much did this school boy error cost you. this one cost me £40 (sell on value).

2. noppy

noppy Regular Member

student
    iv been stringing two years now i think :S well around that anyways strung around 100 rackets or so and never had a problem iv miss weaved one racket and that was my own and it was the second cross from the bottom hopefully no more fingers crossed touch wood

im always extra careful when the rackets arnt my own as you found out the hard way they cost to replace and when your stringing at900's,700's 9000's and other top end rackets they cost A LOT to replace which if you break one defeats the object of stringing to make money as you will spend the next 10 or more restrings maying for their replacement

remember...check then check again

3. druss

druss Regular Member

Thankfully I've never broken a racket yet but I have messed up on the stringing a couple of times. Once I broke a string while tightening a knot and had to cut the mains...

4. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

stringer for community centers
    broke one of my beloved black knight m2008qc on my first string job i didnt tighten the post enough and it cracked on 3/9 o'clock =( luckily i have another one and no breakage since then :D

5. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

6. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

^ on a klippermate that is (butterfly screws are terrible)

laserfibre is built like a tank! thanks once again Pete :D

7. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    So, have you tried anything above 28 lbs yet? :D

8. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

ns9000x 3U 30x33lbs maybe in early November? my friend said its feels like 29ish lbs now :D

9. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    Sorry for your loss.

One time, as I was stringing the mains, I kept wondering why the frame became so round, but I thought it may just be a very flexible frame and the crosses would balance it out. After I finished all the crosses, it was still that shape, so I unmount the racquet and realize that I didn't fasten the entire head column. Luckily nothing broke, and I just had to waste another pack of strings and redo the racquet. (The racquet is still alive and well today so I suppose it wasn't quite that bad)