Taufik Hidayat or Shon Seung Mo for GOLD?

Discussion in 'Olympics ATHENS 2004' started by kwun, Aug 20, 2004.

?

Who will win MS Gold?

Poll closed Aug 21, 2004.
  1. Shon Seung Mo (KOR)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Taufik Hidayat (INA)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jaclyn

jaclyn Regular Member

student
    hmmm
    i don't want to guess until i know the result...
    scare the result will be dissapointed me again..

2. shawntn

shawntn Regular Member

Someone needs a hug....? Since this is a closely badminton related...i'll give you a handshake. Over or under the net?

chanting... TAULFIK...

3. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

That sounds kinda icky. Lol is either Laughs out Loud or more traditionally Laughing out Loud so we can get things like ROFLOLs.

Almost forgot, I want SSM to win but I think Taufik's got too much ability right now.

4. AarOn

AarOn Regular Member

If Shon Seung Mo can return all Taufik's smashes then he will have a high chance of winning.. I'm on 50/50.. :)

Taufik's smahes are really powerful !! :eek:

5. flikflak

flikflak Regular Member

but in singles you cannot rely on smashes too much. It's powerful but consuming much energy and terribly stressful if enemy can return it back, like what happened with Lin Dan. Except you're a real attacker like Liem Swie King with horse stamina you can do it as many as you want. :D

I'm relieved taufik played patiently, he did do the smashes but at the right moment, not willing to finish the shuttle at once. And I like his drop shots which often couldn't be returned properly by Seung-Mo.

6. *izzyC*

*izzyC* Regular Member

Did anyone mention before that Shon Seung Mo is only partially sighted at one eye? (Sorry, I'm too lazy to go through the threads one by one) I think that's why most of his returns are really weak but I think he has done a very very good job this time...

7. chuck317

chuck317 Regular Member

Yes incredible. Apparently he was hit in the R eye by a shuttlecock when he was 15 years old, has had corneal surgery, but still significant impaired vision ?almost blind in that eye. Make his achievement, and status as a top world class player, all the more awe-inspiring. His courage and endeavor, besides his talent, to overcome the handicap. Huge respect for him. :)

8. flikflak

flikflak Regular Member

OMG! Shon has defect on his right eye?! woo....

I have no idea, a light shuttle cock is also dangerous thing??. Maybe Shon's eye was injured because of smashed shuttle cock??.
    if true, it's really really bad luck!, smashed shuttle cock could directly hit your small eye and damage it.

9. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    He was hit by a shuttle - I read in the papers today.

10. economet

economet Regular Member

Shon's handicaps

Actually, he was blind at that eye hit by a shuttle cock during a net play in his high school time. Nevertheless he kept playing and trained with huge effort to win a tournament. So he was admitted to the Korean junior national squad. Before the Asian Games 2002 he had a cornea transplantation surgery. And he managed to defeat the Chinese national team to win the gold medal in Busan where Asian Games 2002 took place. But he still wears a contact lense and is heavily handicapped through this poor eye sight.

During the whole Olympic Games in Badminton he was hadnicapped by anonther injury, namely achilles' heel and leg injury. Achilles' heel was badly injured at the last WC. So he got three different injections before the finals match including an anodyne injecton which he had before every match in Athens. (Has anyone noticed that Shon can hardly go off court?)
    So only Lee Hyunil was free of serious injuries or pain who was beaten by Boonsak Ponsana.

Unfortunately, Shon's mother lies in a hospital now, too.
    Here is a picture of his mother cheering for him during his semifinals.

Attached Files:

#70 economet, Aug 22, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2004
  11. sillybiscuit03

sillybiscuit03 Regular Member

The picture of Shon's mom cheering for him is so sweet.

More respect for what Shon has done, omg, he becomes the one-eye olympic silver medalist! It goes without saying how hard it would be to judge the placement and the speed of shuttles with just one eye.

12. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    My guess... Taufik should win it!
    And I'm right? Yessssssss!!!

Sony made it to the semis? Very good, very good, my prediction was close to becoming true. If he had beaten Taufik, Shon would've been finished the same way.

Lin Dan did the right thing of preserving the Olympic tradition... :D