The biggest loser in the Athens Olympics

Discussion in 'Olympics ATHENS 2004' started by Lau Kok Wei, Aug 23, 2004.

1. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    delaying tactics, throwing opponents off their rhythms and etc is not wrong as long as they are in the legal boundaries of the game. actually it is an essential part of any sport especially badminton since it involves players confronting each other and not like bowling or golf where one players performance does not directly effect the other players.

badminton is more that just an athletics sport where the one with the best ability will win. badminton is still very much a game, and in winning games it involves alot more than just ability. it is the person that 'plays' the game the best that comes out on top..... ala Triple H :D

any player that fails to maintain their own composure is at fault and not others who take advantage of it.

wake up Malaysia!

2. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Delaying the game is forbidden, it's in the rules!

3. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

to what extent? it is not really specific. did you see any delaying tactics in the olympics? i saw many. sometimes it was even mutual acts of delaying tactics (example= MS bronze match). sometimes it wasnt (example= XD final)

example of delaying tactics such as 'purposely falling' to get a breather for a mop job, changing shuttles when its actually still 'good', questioning line judges calls, and such. these are not direct delaying actions and gives the umpire a reasonable doubt whether the player is on purpose delaying the game. if there is reason for doubt most referees can not simply jump to the conclusion that the player is delaying the game. this is because it is the players right to request for shuttle change, mopping the floor, 'time out', and question line calls. even though the request gets rejected.

and crime is only a 'crime' (means recorded as a crime) when you are caught doing it, and in badminton it is when you are penalized by the umpire.

then if you go in deeper into the actual situation, every umpire/referee have difference in level of strictness and diff 'boundaries' to determine if one has commited an offence or not. if a player can 'read' an umpire's boundaries, the player may take advantage of that situation without getting a penalty. its all very subjective of course.........

just stating what i see going on in tournaments. coz everything is not all that black and white. just my opinion :)

cheers

4. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    I haven't yet had chance to watch the matches :(, I was only giving a general statement about the rules! :)

Questionning line calls IS forbidden too! The umpire can give a yellow card for this!

It's up to the umpire to judge whether the player is delaying the game on purpose or not. He is the one who takes the decisions.

Yes, umpiring is subjective, that's what makes it so difficult!
    And of course players search for boundaries, there is a clear sort of game between the players and the umpires...

The best example I have is Nabil Lasmari : he's the french number one (though he's crap) and he is famous for being the first player of badminton history to receive a black card... mainly due to delaying the game in the first place!
    Why does he have this habit of delaying the game? (except for his poor stamina of course ;) )
    Simply because most french umpires are incompetent and always let him delay the game as much as he wants! There are no boundaries for him! :p

5. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    On the subject of umpiring it amazes me how poor the umpires are at these major finals, I mean if these are the best umpires what are the others like?

Example: Chinese bending rules in mixed final, ignoring umpire, causing umpire to pressure lineman into changing call

WS final, On gold medal point mia gets debatable call, protests (not as much as Zhang in mixed) Mia gets yellow card, on match point!

AE md final...well you know

Umpires simply stick the rules and don't get involved in the match unless you have to, don't start getting involved at the crucial part of the match, set up the boundaries at the start and stick to it.

6. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

LOL: lots of love

is it forbiden? goes to show how many times ive read 'laws of badminton' :D
    even if so, you have to agree that it still happens alot in matches without being penalized/enforced right?

and about the umpires, sometimes they are made to look just like toothless (and clawless) tigers dont you think?

cheers

7. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    I don't know where you got that (funny) one but LOL has always meant "Laughing Out Loud". (I don't see why we would write "lots of love" each time there is something funny!! :p:p:p )

I've already seen players getting a red card for questionning line calls.
    If the umpire doesn't react, the player may manage to put pressure on linesmen so that they advantage him, that's why it's forbidden! (it's an attempt to take an illegal advantage on the opponent)

8. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

i dont use LOL for funny things but actually use it for showing i understand with what you mean/or what you are going thru. something about showing friendship camaradie and stuff. i get this often elsewhere though :confused:

yeah but howabout non confrontational questioning line calls. which means the player asks/complains/queries the umpire not the linesman about the 'dubious' line calls made. i dont believe this directly intimidates the linesman. also i still think the player has a right to fight for the right if he feels he's getting the shorter end of the stick.

LOL :D

9. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    In fact, you are allowed to ask the umpire to have a linesman changed if you think he is giving bad calls.
    You are just not allowed to question the calls that have been made.
    (anyway the umpire doesn't have the right to change the linesman call so it would be useless)

10. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

actually the latest development is that IBF is experimenting by allowing the umpires to change the linesman call if neccesary. for how long before they finally decide on what's best im not sure.

LOL

11. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    Well said Seven, that is what the Referee is for. Players have right to call for Referee

Regards

Stuart