Thomas and Uber Cup 2008 draw!

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2008' started by george@chongwei, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Peter Gade has asthma now! :p Either Sony will face an unfit Peter Gade or... Sony has to face Kenneth. Which is more likely now because Kenneth is world #5 and Peter is world #8... :p Which means Taufik will face Joachim Persson [world #29] and Simon will face... er... somebody else... [I don't know who is Denmark's 4th best MS after Kenneth-Peter-Joachim]...

There is:
    WR #46 Peter Mikkelsen
    WR #65 Rune Ulsing
    WR #70 Jan O. Jorgensen
    WR #73 Kasper Oedum

I don't know who among these guys will be chosen by the Danish Badminton Association... :confused: Any BC members from Denmark?!? Can you help enlighten us on this? :)

2. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    INA Uber team...

ctjcad, you are right if the objective is to actually win the whole thing...

However, PBSI's target for our Uber Cup team is to reach the semifinals... :p This is needed to fill in the Istora seats as much as possible as long as possible... In Uber Cup 2004 in Jakarta, after INA's Uber Cup team lost in the quarterfinals [I think]... I can safely say that the Uber Cup organizers can only fill in less than 10% of all available Istora seats for the semis and finals... :eek:

So... unless INA women can win over Japan... better to be #3 in the group and try our luck against Korea in the quarterfinals rather than face China in the quarterfinals... :eek:

3. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Agree with Krisna. I hope the draw puts INA against Japan in the first match, so, we have plenty of time to think of tactics and strategy for the next match against Netherlands :eek: If lose against Japan, no point to fight against Netherlands. Give the fringe players chance.

FIRST TEAM
    WS1: Maria Kristin vs Yao Jie - 60% of losing anyway
    WS2: Adriyanti Firdasari vs Judith Meulendijks -- 50% of losing
    WS3: Pia Zebadiah vs Rachel Van Cutsen -- unknown...the Netherland player is more experienced

WD1: Vita Marissa/Lilyana Natsir vs Rachel Van Cutsen/Paulien Van Dooremalen -- surely a victory
    WD2: Jo Novita/Greysia Polii vs Judith Meulendijks/Yao Jie -- a victory is likely..

So, even if we field our first team, we might still end up losing 2-3.

4. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Just pray that one of your single's player will manage to steal a point from the singles.

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Must go all out..

..For INA's Uber Cup squad, either way, sooner or later if they are to advance to the Semis or Finals round or win the whole thing;), they must go through CHN.
    Btw, how would INA face CHN in the QF round if CHN(most likely) and/or INA were to win its group?..I thought all groups' winners will skip the QF round and await the winners of the QF tussles, in the SF round?..:confused:
    ..looking at the above INA vs. NED scenario, i think the INA Uber Cup team has a chance also of winning over the NED, granted they win the 2 WD matches and steal 1 pt from the WS (most likely the last one, if they ever go that far)..And i would say, they could also spring a surprise against JPN's team; but in order to do so, they will need all of the INA fans' support at the stadium~~take advantage of the home crowd;)

#45 ctjcad, Mar 12, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  6. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

why china is in group A with Nigeria??:crying::crying::mad::mad:

7. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Why is NewZealand with Malaysia and Denmark ?
    And NewZealand also with Japan and Denmark.
    NewZealand is hopeless now.. :D

8. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

From the above knock-out stage format,
    INA Thomas team will be out as group D Winner with big possibility, then face B2 (MAS or KOR) in quarterfinal which means really tough match.

Two options for INA Uber team to fulfill semifinal target :
    - First, wins group D to avoid CHN and KOR in last eight, particularly China who definitely the strongest team in this contest. No doubt, this is the best option.
    - Second, being 3rd position of group D and meet KOR in quarter. Disadvantage : INA must play one more match against MAS or DEN at play-off stage.

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Looking at the 2 options..

..it'll be a tough climb but IMO, it would be wise if the INA Uber Cup team fights and competes to win its group..By doing so, as i've highlighted in bold, they'll avoid that scenario & have an extra time to rest and recoup (which i'm sure they'll take any time)..;)

#49 ctjcad, Mar 13, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  10. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Chris... I took the liberty to quote ants' predictions on this matter... As you see, assuming that China is A1 and Korea is B1, INA is better off as D3... :eek: Embarassing, I know... :eek: But better to try our luck against Denmark in the Round of 16 and then possibly against South Korea/Hong Kong in the quarterfinals... ;)

If we were to finish as D2, then we probably will face New Zealand in the Round of 16 and then China in the quarterfinals... :(

Frankly, the best scenario is if we finish as D1! ;) But can we? :D Yes, I agree if we were to be Uber Cup champs, we have to beat China... but we don't have to [at this time].... let's just be very happy with a semifinal finish...

Note: I will also advise Susi Susanti's girls to avoid Hong Kong! Their triple threat WS [Wang-Yip-Zhou :eek:] are the best Uber-team WS lineup after CHN in this competition... Hong Kong is very able to beat Korea, nobody should be surprised if Hong Kong will become B1... ;)

11. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    In the Uber Cup, I think INA has a decent chance if we face MAS or DEN... because their WS lineup is spearheaded by a very top #1 WS but followed by beatable #2 WS and #3 WS... while their doubles are quite beatable by our Jo-Greysia and Lili-Vita... ;)

12. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    I have been told that Zhou Mi may not be able to play for HKG yet....so INA has a chance to beat HKG

13. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Wow, really?!? Fantastic! ;)

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

..understood and yeah, i might've been confused as to the possible QF and onward matchups.:p :)
    Anyway, after thinking about it, i still hold the approach that the INA Uber Cup team SHOULD finish 1st in their group. Yes, targeting the "best scenario".:cool: Wouldn't you want them to do so??..:confused: :)..
    Doing so will not only eliminate the chance of the INA UC team to meet CHN prior to the Finals, but also will grant them an extra day of rest, while they wait for the winner of the Playoff-tussle.
    As a side note, IMO, other than CHN's Uber Cup team, i would rate S. Korea, Japan and possibly Denmark and maybe Dutch to be challengers (and not to undermine the other teams).
    As for beating CHN, yes, it will be a miracle if the INA UC team can do so...IOW, i don't put too much hope on them.:p
    Will it be tough to reach the Finals? Definitely. Impossible? I don't think so.;)
    ..there ya go..another good news for the INA UC team..;)..
    So, cheer 'em on!..:cool:

#54 ctjcad, Mar 13, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  15. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Does anyone has complete schedule for TUC Finals>

16. cute_tbh

cute_tbh Regular Member

??? i dun think so...

lee hyun il, can beat any England single players, so does park sung hwn...that will give them 2 out of 5...and ljs/lyd will definitely beat any of the england pairs...

and any england single player to beat lcw...?i doubt the england single player can even beat hafiz hashim...and if kkk/tbh could not deliver, chong tan fook/lee wan wah can definitely score...

i dont see how such prediction can even exist...

17. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    The scenario of MAS and KOR giving ;) the ENG team 1st place in group B is a logical approach to avoid CHN in the knock-out round... ;) :D If they fight normally, then ENG have almost no chance of beating MAS and KOR... :eek:

18. madbad

madbad Regular Member

You didn't get it, did you? :rolleyes: It's already been put out there that teams are "adjusting" their positions to get over to the INA semi final side to avoid mighty China. Therefore in this group, KOR and MAS "lose" to achieve said goal. However, I don't think ENG are dumb enough to fall for it :D:D

19. Tommy Susanto

Tommy Susanto Regular Member

Woeful MS after PG and KJ:eek:Joachim Persson not doubt in our mind:DPretty straight forward eh?:p

20. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

isn't it another form of match-fixing? it's happening already!