Travelling with your badminton racket!

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by boyboy, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

I took an JAL from Japan back to Hong Kong with a newly bought racket. I just brandished :eek: it all the way through. Nothing's happened:D

Next time I'll imitate Bruce Lee with 2 rackets:D

2. jwcdis

jwcdis Regular Member

Student
    has anyone brought racquets onto EVA airlines before? how do they take it?

3. vansummerlesson

vansummerlesson Regular Member

travelling on plane

am i allowed to have a yonex bag as a carry-on bag? i dont want to check my racket bag with rackets. i've seen how some of the handlers treat ppls luggage. any suggestions? i have never travelled carrying my badminton gear but this time i might. van ---> Utah. if i cant carry on. since it may be to large should i just bubble wrap everything? :( help

4. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

I think MP 99 is the same serial code as the AK 47....that may be a prob lol!

5. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Bubble wrap and newspaper and your precious should be fine. I've done it many times from Perth to Melb, from Perth to Brunei and vice versa. Btw lock your racquet compartments and empty the other compartments which aren't able to be locked.

6. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    is it allowed to be hand-carried? i planning to buy a racket from bangkok and i dont wanna check-in due to the same reason as vansummerlesson.

7. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I'm not sure about USA. As you know it is strict there. Most of the time i do check it in. However in Asia, i use it as hand carry. Sometimes i will carry a bagpack,laptop bag and also the 6 rackets badminton bag into the cabin. Hehehe.. i've tried it. So no worries.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    but don't try to do a hand-carry in HK. the HK airport is annoyingly strict on handcarry sizes.

9. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    If you guys want to sort it out with security and what not then by all means just go and bring your racquets on the plane. If you don't want to have much inconvenience, bubble wrap + newspaper in a 3 racquet bag is more than sufficient in the cargo compartment. Just have them put fragile.

I know some of you can get away with it, if you can great. But if security is tight, you'll be forced to check it in anyways. Hence why not skip the fuss and just check it in?

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i agree with FEND. i always travel with my rackets safely packed in my hard-shell suitcase. my wife hates it coz it is smaller and heavier than the fabric ones, but only it can provide protection to my babies... erm.. i mean, rackets.

11. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

12. Ice-88

Ice-88 Regular Member

I just got back from HK the other day, and tried to get my racket bag (small 3 racket one) on as hand carriage, but as i already had one they wouldnt let me. So BA (British Airways) put it in a special fragile compartment, got it back no problems too... Maybe you can stuff some underwear and sock in the bags to add protection too... also save suitcase space?!?!

I did see someone else brandishing a horribly bright red Yonex badminton racket bag, and she managed to get it on the plane, so dont think BA are too fussy with it.

13. ants

ants Regular Member

I have tried doing it in HK airport. So far everything is ok..as the people there let me in.

I've tried check in my racket bag once when i went to Europe. I just ask the check-in counter lady to label it as Priority and Fragile. Good thing nothing happened to my rackets. Everything went well.

14. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I just came back from TW and I have carried rackets like I have been doing in past years without any problems.

FYI, I have flied with NWA, UA, China Airline, Cathey-Pacific, JAL,... etc. and I have never have any trouble with rackets on board. (including my trip to HK, China, TW, and USA)

Numbers of rackets? This time I only brought back 10. Last time I took 30 rackets with me on board along with two laptops, and two bags. No problems at all for me.

15. ants

ants Regular Member

:eek: Two laptops , two bags and 30 rackets? How do you carry them? I hope your in the business class.. if not.. i cannot imagine you walking along the aisle. For me 1 laptop, 1 bag and another badminton bag with rackets, i already find it so kinda messy even in the business class.

16. jump17

jump17 Regular Member

i will be going back to the US in about 2 weeks. when i came here through JAL, i only brought an armortec case with 2 rackets in it and they let me.

now i will bring back a 6-racket bag and i was wondering if they would let me carry it and not have to check it in.

17. kikks9

kikks9 Regular Member

I took a Malaysia Airline flight from Melbourne to Kuala Lumpur. I had to check in my racquets, they weighed it and placed a fragile sticker on it. I was required to check it in at a separate counter. They opened a red cage and popped it in with golf sets and guitar bags. No problems with my racquets, all fine.
    So I guess for any airlines if you check it in and inform them of the value of your items it should be fine :). As for emptying it hehehe not sure if people would like to take strings and grips but it is not expensive and I think they can't be bothered, if you are going to steal, better take something more expensive from luggages, correct? hhahaha

18. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Nah, economy class is enough. It's how you pack your bags that matters ;) :)

19. Mt. Apo

Mt. Apo Regular Member

Consultant
    I usually hand carried 1 to 3 rackets in one yonnex or addidas racket bag and placed it in the overhead compartment on my way to Manila from Denpasar via Hongkong, so far I don't have any problem encountered with the airport officers. I tried also via Singapore and Bangkok and same no hassle. There's only one time that I checked in my racket, placed it in between my clothes, but I can't avoid to think that it might be curved already when I get it. :D

20. jdm_wol2ks

jdm_wol2ks Regular Member

racket bags allowed on airlines?

hello bcers

i was wondering if any of you guys have recently traveled with your racket bag?
    i am going to vancouver this week and i want to play play there...so im going to bring my racket bag...i was wonder does united airlines allow you to bring them aboard the plane as a hand carry...

i want to make sure because i don't wanta send my rackets in as a luggage! XP

thanks the help =)