Useful Info for Singapore Open Visitors

Discussion in 'Singapore Open 2004' started by Loh, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    The US$170,000 Five-Star Aviva Singapore Open 2004 will be held from Nov 15-21, immediately after the China Open.

The first two days, Nov 15 & 16, for the preliminaries will be played in the Singapore Badminton Hall (SBH) at Guillemard Road and admission is free.

For the tournament proper from Nov 17 - 21, to be held in the bigger and first-class indoor stadium, the Singapore Indoor Stadium (SIS) at Kallang, an admission charge is payable. There are ticket concessions for 'early bird' (purchase by Oct 31), bulk discounts of a min. 20 tickets, season passes, senior citizens (55 yrs and above) and children. Eg an adult season pass for the entire tournament costs S$43 (as opposed to S$65 bought seperately) plus S$2 for SISTIC booking fee.

Free Seating applicable throughout, unless specified otherwise within the venues.

Ticket and tournament details are available on the following websites:

www.sistic.com.sg
    www.singaporebadminton.org.sg

For reasonable hotel accommodation, even for backpackers at S$24.50 per person and Standard Room ranging from about S$50, you may find the Hotel 81 chain suitable and they also have many hotels in the Geylang area, which is close by to the SBH and SIS. Transportation is easy. Hotel 81's website is as follows:

www.hotel81.com.sg

Do let me know if you need another other info.

Hope you can pay us a visit and watch world classs badminton in congenial surroundings at the same time. A few overseas BFers have contacted me for relevant info and I thought I should share this with you if you are coming. :)

2. Bresis

Bresis Regular Member

I don't really know the geography of Singapore and I'll like to know if I m staying with my friends either in NUS or NTU, is it very far to SIS?? Roughly how long do I need to reach SIS by MRT? Thanks~!! :)

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Hi Bresis

I suggest you stay with your NUS friends.

1. From NUS campus/hostel, take a bus to Clementi MRT Station (ask your friends which bus no.)
    2. Take the train from Clementi MRT and stop at Kallang MRT.
    3. Then take a bus from Kallang MRT to SIS (Bus No 11,16, etc)

I think your entire trip could take up to 1 1/2 hours.

For reference, go to the SISTIC website as suggested in my earlier post. Then do the following:

1. Buying Tickets? - Under 'All Categories" choose 'Sports'.
    2. Enter title/artiste/venue - Enter the word 'aviva'.
    3. You will be brought to Aviva Open Singapore 2004. Click on icon 'Venue' on top bar.
    4. You will then be shown under 'Venue Guide' for SIS some useful info on 'Public Transport', 'Venue Road Map', etc.

Hope the above helps. :)

#3 Loh, Oct 14, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    thanks Loh.

for those who are planning to watch at least the semi & final, it is tad bit cheaper to buy the early bird season ticket (S$34 vs. S$19+S$17)

btw. China Open is the week after Singapore Open. so make sure you book the correct flight... ;)

5. Bresis

Bresis Regular Member

Thanks a lot, Loh. Your information has been very helpful to me..:)

6. hdson

hdson Regular Member

Hey Loh, can you arrange a BC/BF pre-match meeting? ;) I have bought an early-bird ticket :p, and will join you guys from 17th to 21st.

Just wonder if kwun can bring us the banner :confused: :D :p

7. silvia

silvia Regular Member

i thought china open is the week before sgp open, 9-14??.....am i wrong abt this??? :rolleyes:

8. explorer123

explorer123 Regular Member

MB Fitness Pro
    Early-bird Bulk season ticket @ S$28 Each

Hi Loh, thanks for the above info. I've then looked at both websites and would like to watch the games, my wife and I.

We are visiting family and friends in Singapore from 13 Nov - Jan/Feb, so catching the whole tournament looks possible for us. Do you think you may be able to get at least 18 others (including yourself, assuming you're going) plus 2 for me (my wife and I), so that purchasing the Early-bird Bulk is possible? That would save each of us $15 per ticket and why not(??).

During our stay, we can also catch up and play some games whenever suits, if we can join you and your friends. We don't intend to miss playing even when travelling as we are regularly playing at least twice a week at home. I am even tempted to bring my own stringing machine while travelling, but we know it is a little bit leh-cheh lah.

Do let us know soon (at least before 31 Oct) via the forum or email me directly if you'd prefer.

Thanks again, Loh.
    :)

9. explorer123

MB Fitness Pro
    Early-bird Bulk season ticket @ S$28 Each

:) ...and if it is ok, we'll ask someone in Singapore to pass you the money first or whatever you may suggest.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    ops... my bad, my bad.... :)

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Oh, you mean kwun is coming for a visit and bringing his big, big banner along? This will indeed be another FIRST for Singapore! ;)

Then all of Singapore BFers must rally and give him a "Hero's Welcome"!

What more do you guys think we should do if kwun together with his better half, Janet, should come to our shores especially to witness the Singapore Open?

Are you all game for a game and get together in one prominent block in the SIS to cheer for our badminton greats with our huge
    BadmintonCentral.com banner and make sure the camera catches us and telecasts to all our BF friends all over the world?

Anyway, in order not to miss out, last Friday I have bought the early bird, season ticket for senior citizens for only S$19. This must be the cheapest ticket that I have bought for the Singapore Open.

So don't miss out on the early bird discounts and get your tickets before this month-end at any SISTIC outlet. If you can get a group of 20, you can enjoy further discounts! :)

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Hi Explorer

How nice that you and your wife can visit Singapore during the Singapore Open period!

I note that you will be spending quite some time in Singapore until about Feb next year! You should join one of the Singapore BFers groups so that you can continue playing during your stay here.

There are quite a number of them here in different parts of Singapore. You can see some interesting postings under "Places to Play - Singapore", but unfortunately, I don't play in any of them as I play with my company colleagues and alumni friends at two different locations, on Tuedays evening and Sunday afternoon.

Depending on where you will be staying here, you may wish to join a BF group nearer your place. I live in the West and the group normally plays in the Jurong East Sports Hall, I think. I confess that I have not visited any of these groups before although I've communicates with some of their members in this forum, members like PoseidonLee, swijaya0101 and others through PMs. Actually, I think they will be the ones best able to arrange for both of you to join them.

I have bought my early bird ticket last Friday but I couldn't find enough people for the group discount.

You can buy your tickets through SISTIC over the internet and collect them a day or earlier before the event when you're in Singapore. There are many SISTIC outlets here and one at the SIS itself. Of course, if you prefer I can buy them for you too.

Maybe, if you can tell me your address in Singapore and contact nos., I will be in a better position to try to fit you into an appropriate playing group. Wonder what age group should I place both you and your wife in, 20-30; 30-40; 40-50; over 50? ;)

13. explorer123

MB Fitness Pro

Yep, thanks. I've already sent you an email.

It may be a good idea to set up a few games for overseas forum members visiting during this period to meet and play together.