Victor Bravesword LYD replacement???

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by vudoo, Nov 21, 2023.

1. vudoo

vudoo Regular Member

Hey BC folks! It's been a while since I've posted - lots of games in between then and now, and I need some help. I'm in the market for some new racquets.

I've had a number of Victor Bravesword LYD over the years and slowly they've been getting banged up to the point where I am down to my last one. It's a 3U version. It's really too bad that this is a discontinued racquet, and I'd like to keep this last one as a souvenir. Anywho, I am looking for a replacement racket to make my main weapon... does anyone have any recommendations on suitable replacements? I'm open to Yonex, Victor, or Li-Ning as they're readily available to get in my area. Thanks for your help!

2. Verised

Verised Regular Member

The most readily available and similar to your racket would be the BS12 SE

3. vudoo

vudoo Regular Member

Thanks Verised - I was looking up some reviews on the forum for the BS12SE and it looks great. There is a lot of comparison between it to the OG BS12... so what would you say is the reason why it would be more similar? I'm cautious with the higher BP due to it being head-heavier, I don't recall the LYD being as high as that.

4. NickifiedNg

NickifiedNg Regular Member

Huge majority of the Korea team who used Bravesword switched to the Nanoflare 700.

5. vudoo

vudoo Regular Member

I went to demo the NF700 and it wasn't for me. I tried to keep an open mind but the headlight racquet didn't do it Smashes were not crisp and powerful, even though it is pretty easy to defend.

Waiting to hear back on the BS12SE... does anyone have any suggestions? Santa is coming to town in the next few weeks, hoping around then would be the perfect time to upgrade.

6. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    The SE should have been called the BS11SE imo. Is stiffer and taller than the 12. I assume BS12 sold better than BS11, so they used that model name to help boost sales.

NickifiedNg likes this.
  7. WhitePants

WhitePants Regular Member

BS LYD is stiffer and head-heavier than the OG BS 12 to begin with so the BS12SE may be a really good option.

The main thing about the BS12SE is the sword frame which you will find very familiar and cannot find elsewhere today.

vudoo likes this.
  8. vudoo

vudoo Regular Member

I think you're right about this. I'm about to go pick one up but now I'm stuck with figuring out between 3U and 4U lol. There's a BS12SE thread I've been looking at and maybe I'm not reading it right... but the 4U feels more head-heavy even though it's slightly lighter, and the 3U is slightly more even-balanced while being slightly heavier overall? Is that right? Any suggestions?

https://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/index.php?threads/new-bravesword-12-color.190187/page-6

For more data, my BS-LYD is a 3U, 85g w no strings and only stock grip.

9. vudoo

vudoo Regular Member

Just bumping this up - I picked up 2 BS12SE (3U and 4U) to test out and after a few months of testing, they're not delivering the same feel as BS-LYD and I am still gravitating back to old faithful. The biggest factor is a difference in stiffness, especially in full swings you can feel the lag for the head to catch up. I would say from a stiffness standpoint, BS-LYD>BS12SE>BS12. Adding in more head-weight to the BS12SE compared to the BS12 makes it feel more whippy. Back to the drawing board, but any suggestions help. (if you have a BS-LYD and are willing to sell, send me a PM ;))

I have been reading a bit on the new Victor Auraspeed HS; similar profile with the sword frame, more stiff, but slightly smaller head. Anyone testing this one?

10. Savage Attack

Savage Attack Regular Member

Student
    Victor released a Bravesword LTD Pro that has a similar colourway to the LYD but not really sure how that plays. I've played Auraspeed HS Plus and its very responsive and has decent power but takes a while to get used to and the freecore handle wasn't for me personally.

11. kprsr

kprsr New Member

You can try out the new Victor Auraspeed 90K Metallic which has recently been sold worldwide, it's a bit stiffer and faster than the original 90K and it does have the 3U version as well (I'm in Asia so I'm not sure about the availability of other regions), but it's a good racquet. BS LYD from my memory will be a bit heavier (tried that from a very long time ago so it might not be correct).

vudoo likes this.
  12. vudoo

vudoo Regular Member

Honestly if there is a stiffer version of a BS12SE then I'd be happy to try it!!!
    I have the ARS 90K original and found it to be too slow in comparison to BS LYD. It may be because of its stiffness profile. I am curious if the ARS 90K Metallic helps because it does have a sword-like frame. Anyone else tried ARS 90K Metallic?

13. wiratamatama

wiratamatama Regular Member

Will come back to you after I try it for a few session

14. vudoo

vudoo Regular Member

Thanks, happy playing!

15. wiratamatama

Here's my review of Auraspeed 90K Metallic 4U String VBS 66N 23lbs

Smash: 8/10, a very repulsive racket, ball instantly left the string bed. I don't like how VBS 66N feel from past and still don't like it now. Many time the ball will end up to low to the net. The power is there.
    Lob: 9/10, you don't need many energy to make the ball fly to the back of court. Easy peasy.
    Drive: 9/10, again repulsive racket, it's like the ball will fly instantly and accurately.
    Defense: 8/10, even balace to slightly head heavy racket, defense is okay with training. After few session it will be 9 because of how swift this racket cut through the air.
    Overall: 8,5/10, solid repulsive racket, maybe this will gone up after I change the string to my usual Exbolt 63.

PS: My brandly new racket is clashed and chiped on first time I using it to play with more elder people, so sad. It's my ball on front court but then he's clashed with mine. :(

16. arsdtrn

arsdtrn New Member

entrepreneurs
    How's the power if you compare it to let's say 'some well-known' (eg. 100ZZ, AX90-AX100, etc.) or other racket(s) in your rotation? Trying to gauge the power here.
    PS. sorry about the chipped paint ;( (happened to me too before..it sucks LOL).

17. wiratamatama

I just try the Astrox 88D Pro Gen3 (I don have or try any Astrox 100ZZ, etc) and for me the 90K Metallic is have less power BUT more easy to use. The swing speed for me the 88D is little fast (compact+aerobox frame vs iso+little oversize frame but blade form). But just a tad bit little. For me 90K Metallic is my to go racket. More easy to use and all around performance.

arsdtrn likes this.