Victor Columbia V Racquet

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Konquerian, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Konquerian

Konquerian Regular Member

I recently stumbled across a surprise find when browsing through my regular badminton supply store's website. I found a re-released classic Victor Columbia V racquet. I couldn't resist, so I got a 4u version and strung with orange ashaway zymax 66 fire power @ 25lbs.

I couldn't find more info on the racquet, but I was attracted to the color scheme and the specs, HH 4/5 and stiff 4/5. One interesting spec is this racquet has an ultra slim 6.4mm pyrofil shaft. I have yet to use the racquet as I only received it today. Has anyone even seen this racquet or own it yet? Could I be among the first people to have it :D?

Attached Files:

#1 Konquerian, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    Tommy.Yumo likes this.
  2. Cycril

Cycril Regular Member

That's a very beautiful color I would say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Tommy.Yumo

Tommy.Yumo Regular Member

Let us know how it plays! :)

4. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

Come on Konquerian, you already have TK9900 and N9ii!! What else do you want? :p:p

5. Konquerian

Like a kid going into a toy store, I want this, this, this, this, and that...

Hey, man! Like Pokémons, you gota-catchem all!

Hahaha , TBH, that's it for me this year. I'm all spent and now am truly broken .

#5 Konquerian, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  6. Konquerian

I had another session with the racquet today, and a total of 4 hours dropped on it so far. I must say that I'm definitely not a big fan of the classic oval shape head frame, and I can see the reason why companies moved on to the isometric design. The isometric head frame just feels better when I swing The racquet, so I don't like how it feels when I swing The Columbia V .

However, this racquet is by no means a slouch. In fact, it is a fast racquet. Although victor didn't give a scale on the head heaviness, I would say it is a 4/5 head heavy racquet. Stiffness is like 3/5.

There is a major thing i don't like about the racquet, and it is the lack of anti-shock tech. My hand and wrist felt all the vibrations from hitting the shuttle, and that built up pressure and fatigue. It is something that I have not felt using all my other racquets that claimed to have some kind of anti-shock tech in them. The n9ii's anti-shock tech does a wonderful job at keeping the vibration close to non-existing when using the racquet. But then again, for a re-released classic that is priced at only 115USD, it's totally understandable when it's missing some of the high tech features of the higher-end racquets.

I didn't have any racquets to compare before, but now I really feel the difference between a racquet with and without any anti-shock tech. The difference is almost inhumane for a racquet not to have it .

Aside from the oval head shape and the lack of anti-shock tech, the racquet does have its charms . Smashes are pretty decent, fast and accurate, but not as satisfying as using the tk9900 or n9ii, and not as fast as either one of them. Defense with the racquet is quick and swift, and I was able to return most of my opponent's attacks with interest . Drop shots and net shots are awesome. I especially like doing net shots with this racquet. Clears are pretty effortless, and drives are fast and solid, but I prefer n9ii a lot more for clears and drives. I didn't have too much timing issue with the racquet. But like I mentioned earlier, The oval head shape to me just doesn't feel right , and the vibrations from the racquet that cause fatigue build-up on my hand and wrist can get very annoying .

Those are my first impression with the racquet. Other players might feel differently when they use this racquet. I'm just not impressed with this racquet personally, but I'm sure there will be followers who love it. I will try to use it occasionally so I can give more feedbacks. But as my go-to, I will just stick with the dark side, because the n9ii just feels so good to use . I guess the dark side still has me hooked .

#6 Konquerian, Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    Khamenman likes this.
  7. eiji

eiji Regular Member

your thread title has to change, it should be Another Li-Ning N9II thread
    :D:D:D:D

Khamenman likes this.