Victor racket to replace Yonex Armortec 800DE

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by raistian, Dec 29, 2019.

1. raistian

raistian Regular Member

So, I don't buy rackets often and my go-to weapon is the good old Armortec 800DE (the green one). It's time for a new racket - yay - and I want to try Victor as I cannot stomach the prices of Yonex rackets. Why Victor? Well, there's a shop nearby that I can walk to :)

I'm looking for a mid-range Victor racket that resembles the 800DE the most. My Armortec is AS model, so 3U G5 I think. To give you an understanding of the type of racket I like, I've used (and like): CAB20, AT500, NS9900 & MP99. Obviously they're all old by now.

I string my own racket, and have used strings like BG66, BG80, VS850 (if memory serves), and currently Lining No.1 at 25x26 lbs.

Hopefully I give enough info, and thanks beforehand!

2. jctai

jctai Regular Member

To be honest, you would be hard pressed to look for someone has experience with AT800De (AND remember the feeling) and has experience with Victor's mid range rackets. I'm curious to know the market price difference between Yonex, Victor and Li-Ning's top end rackets in Australia.
    The only mid range Victor racket that I know would even get close to AT800De spec would be Superwave 3188 because Goh Jin Wei of Malaysia used it. I have zero interests in their mid range brave sword, thruster and hypernano. If the shop you mentioned is in walking distance why don't you just walk over there and dry swing every Victor rackets that you can get your hands on?

If you're open to suggestions, I highly suggests spend a little extra and get yourself an Aeronaut 8000 which is a rebranded N99. It is a ridiculously well balanced racket that excel at attack and would not hamper your defence if you are proficient with your AT800De. IF you got smaller hands, Aeronaut 9000 is awesome with its G6 handle and a stiffer shaft, it is an excellent racket that deserves more attention. A reason to recommend Li-Ning rackets is their high quality paint job and relatively better durability compared to Yonex and Victor. IF you could find a Li-Ning N55ii, it would be almost identical to AT800De except for the flexier shaft and I think their price is should be lower due to its age.

Since you've used Yonex throughout the years, I would throw in two suggestions for you for comparison sake. Get the Astrox88D or a Astrox77 (yellow). Very good rackets that carry the same Yonex feeling and matches your AT800De spec. The reason I suggested AX88D is because the newer Astrox frame did improve the racket head speed compared to the old ArmorTec frame. It is slightly smaller in stringbed area but I feel little difference in difficulty of play. I threw AX77 in there simply for its cheaper price.

These suggestions were made without knowing your play style so can you can share your play style for more insight. How you swing your racket would also be a factor in choosing your rackets nowadays. e.g. you a wrist flicker or arm swinger?

raistian likes this.
  3. raistian

raistian Regular Member

Thanks. In general everything's more expensive in Australia, though it's pretty easy to find equipment where I live (Melbourne). It's also very easy to find original stuff here (I'd even say you have to make an effort to buy fakes). At top end, a Yonex would be AUD 240-320+, Victor 200-300+. No clue about Lining.

Play style - doubles, all rounder but strongest as a back smasher. Using your classification I'm an arm swinger. I'm fortunate to have a fully serviceable AT800DE (AUS), & AT Ltd (similar to AT700).

I'm currently visiting Jakarta (Indonesia) & there's an authorised Victor shop nearby. I'm going to drop by even though their online prices seem higher than back home in Australia.

I've noted all the models you mentioned, and will give them a whirl if found (or if they let me).

jctai likes this.
  4. jctai

jctai Regular Member

I see. If Victor is the brand you want to get, remember to try Thruster Falcon (3U or 4U) and Thruster BXR (4U). They are better for back court arm swingers compared to their Auraspeed line. Falcon is slightly more flexible compared to BXR and it has 3U option where BXR doesn't. In the Auraspeed line, 70k and 90k are better suited for back court players in comparison to 80x and 90s. All of them are good rackets and 80x is my favorite among all Victors.

5. raistian

raistian Regular Member

Unfortunately I had to cancel my badminton shopping because of the flooding crippling Jakarta :mad:
    I'm back in Melbourne, and am now open to other brands. Will visit shops/ try friends' racquets locally instead.

I've also learned that prices have changed dramatically since I last bought a racquet. They can be dearer in Indonesia compared to Australia (was not the case at all a decade ago).

6. jctai

jctai Regular Member

Oh man that's so sad. Yeah, Victor ain't what they used to be anymore, hungry, innovative and marketable.
    Well, on the brighter side, you can now look at the new Li Ning offerings - Tectonic 7. ;)

raistian likes this.