We need your help! Tackling the lack of badminton courts

Discussion in 'Singapore' started by joyy91, Oct 27, 2016.

?

Is it hard to book badminton courts in Singapore?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. joyy91

joyy91 New Member

Hi everyone!

We are a group of badminton enthusiasts in Singapore. We find the process of booking and returning badminton courts to be extremely painful (we do it twice every week), and we hope to finally do something about it. A survey was conducted in early 2016 as part of a school project and we found a no-show rate of 10-20% for all sports facility bookings.

Most importantly, we will need to understand the community needs before deciding on our approach. Hope that you can help us do this survey and share this with fellow players so we can capture views of the community together.

It only takes 1-3 minutes (we've tested it!)

Survey Link

Survey Concerns

1) In this survey, you will answer 1-2 questions on other types of prepaid bookings towards the end of the survey - please refer to our explanation below to @Vezzo

2) Email addresses are collected to prevent spam and allow unique identification. We will keep you updated on the final results and our progress with SportsSG as well - please refer to our explanation below to @Normal

Other Suggestions
    • 2 hour block booking during peak hour
    • Build more courts
    • Open the school halls for weekday bookings after 5 pm.
    • Check if any private hall facilities can be used as badminton courts after office hours

Thank you for the feedback thus far and the kind souls who referred us to their friends working in SportsSG - Appreciate it! We will continue to put in our 100% effort to make it work.

Do let us know if you have any feedback/suggestions. Happy to address them :)

#1 joyy91, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    Ricka1978Chen likes this.
  2. Stracid79

Stracid79 New Member

maybe you should contact the administrator here to let this topic highlighted and stay on top for a while.

3. joyy91

joyy91 New Member

Thank you Stracid for the suggestion! I'm quite new to the forum. Do you know who I can approach to get this done?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

4. Normal

Normal Regular Member

When the survey starts with 'What's Your Email Address?', I smell a rat.

The rest of the questions are designed to gauge the person's interest in obtaining prepaid bookings.

This is not recommended.

5. joyy91

joyy91 New Member

Hi Normal,

Honestly, it was a struggle for us too! We hate to put the email field upfront but our android users have told us that they had trouble typing in their email addresses if the fields were placed further down (HTML issue on the form). Email will be our means of communicating the final survey results and progress to our users who submit the survey.

Thanks for the comment. We appreciate honest feedback! Cheers.

#5 joyy91, Oct 28, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  6. Vezzo

Vezzo Regular Member

What's this survey about? It seems to focus on other stuffs rather than the badminton facility bookings.

7. joyy91

joyy91 New Member

Hi @Vezzo, thank you for your question - it is very valid!

Originally when we started this survey, we were focused on collecting responses for only badminton bookings. Through the survey, many users have suggested that we extend the options to cover other types of prepaid bookings as well, where they faced problems buying/selling the bookings e.g. verification issues, seller/buyer getting cheated on Carousell etc.

Hence, you will see questions now that extend to beyond badminton bookings.

Rest assured, our priority is badminton bookings (because we have to book courts twice a week)!

The survey results will be used for the following:
    1) used for discussion with SportsSG on the lack of courts / how to improve current booking system(s)
    2) decide on our community approach to solve the issue of dealing with prepaid bookings safely and efficiently

Hope this answers your question. Cheers. Do keep the questions coming.

Stracid79 likes this.
  8. 14players

14players Regular Member

Engineer
    Yes,
    As we all know,
    For the individual who have his own group of friends or colleagues is very difficult to book court especially during (peak hour) mondays to fridays 6pm to 9pm. I have been trying every week for years. Sometimes i get it, most of the time i dont.

I think one of the main reasons is due to the two 'Meetup.com" and "One Badminton" group.
    Can somebody explain here how they manage to "Booked" 3 Courts (Same day same time) in a row ?

Before i joined them just to exercise and for the love of this sport.
    then i realise I dont enjoy doing things or exercise with people i dont know.
    and almost every week/day i receive their email telling me, "Are you going" YES ?, NO ?.

So how are you (individuals with your own group) able to get courts ?
    I ask because I cant even get 1 court for 2 hours per week not to mention twice per week.
    And the limit is 2 hours ber booking per individual per day.

I have 2 suggestions.
    1) One way is to built more courts especially at the west area for people to exercise keep themselves fit and enjou the game.

2) I suggest a 2 hour block booking during peak hour, e.g.(6-8pm) or (8-10pm) per booking.
    This way is to fully utilise the 9-10pm. (because i often see the 9-10pm slot available).

Happy Smashing,

#8 14players, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    How long is this survey going to last?

I suggest you keep the survey to particular user groups in the first instance. It's easier to manage. Once you have data, redesign a second form for a different group. Your results will look better.

10. Stracid79

Stracid79 New Member

agree!

some other proposals:
    1. open the school hall booking for weekday after 5pm.
    2. check any hall facility which used only during office hour. it can be used as badminton hall after its usage of default purpose.

regarding the survey form, it is better to focus on the lack of badminton court for now. putting too many question on the resale prepaid booking might lead people think there is hiding objective behind.

11. Ricka1978Chen

Ricka1978Chen New Member

Hi @joyy91 nice speaking to you last Sunday @ Sports Hub when you went around collecting responses.

Great initiative! Forfeited a few bookings myself in the past and have seen empty courts around often when I play. Looking forward to your platform. One thing, hope you will not allow sellers to sell their bookings at above the cost price - that will result in more people booking courts they don't need.

Anyway, will help to share the survey amongst my friends who play. All the best!

#11 Ricka1978Chen, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  12. hew128

hew128 Regular Member

Previously IT
    Suggestion to "some other proposals":
    1. open the school hall booking for weekday after 5pm.

School facilities are only available after 7pm.

This opportunity should be pursue as requesting MOE via Sportslink to open up the newer school ISH(s) which has been constructed with after hours access. Many such facilities are still not available after the school closes.

2. check any hall facility which used only during office hour. it can be used as badminton hall after its usage of default purpose.
    My guess is these will be in private hands and your chances are as good as winning Toto.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Schools are a tricky proposition. What happens if facilities are trashed by the public? School caretaker doesn't work for 15hours a day 7 days a week.

School facilities are better handled by the school itself rather than a centralized scheme and the money generated to go back to the school - not to the MOE.

14. hew128

hew128 Regular Member

Previously IT
    The school item was in-reference to the announcement by the MP @ http://www.todayonline.com/sports/sports-facilities-every-school-be-opened-public-lawrence-wong
    in 1Q2015. It's now 4Q2016.

The headline reads
    "Sports facilities in every school to be opened to the public: Lawrence Wong" with special attention to the "...every school..."

#14 hew128, Nov 2, 2016
  15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

That just shows talk is easy :p

Calvin Lee Wei Zhong likes this.
  16. joyy91

joyy91 New Member

Hi @14players,

Thanks for your suggestions - we will note them down.

I understand your concern. I belong to your category where I play with different groups of friends.. and sometimes it's not possible to get a court even when I "camp" on the site when it opens. Frustrating!!

17. joyy91

joyy91 New Member

Hi Cheung,

It will last till the end of December, or earlier if we manage to achieve our response target of 1,000. Currently, we are at 250. Can we request for this thread to be stickied till the end of the survey? We have reworked the survey to place more emphasis on sports facility bookings. I will also help to consolidate all suggestions here and place them in the first post. Cheers.

#17 joyy91, Nov 2, 2016
  18. joyy91

joyy91 New Member

I think it will be hard for school hall booking timings to be extended beyond what is available now - schools have to balance the needs of different stakeholders. But we'll check with SportSG, they might have plans for current school halls.

I personally like where this is headed towards - at the end of the day we would want to maximise the utilisation of unused space. This will of course be a slowww process. Hope that I still be able to play when this finally happens :(

19. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    I used to play badminton at Yuying Secondary School on Saturday evenings but the 4 badminton courts have been blocked since last year for Fillippino basketball games. My question to myactivesg - why even bother to list Yuying Sec Sch as available for badminton court booking.

By the way have you encountered kids suddenly running into the courts when competitive games are ongoing?

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Stickied until the 1st Jan or earlier if response rate achieved.