What is the meaning of Badminton?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kwun, Oct 23, 2004.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    What is the meaning of Badminton?

Often people ask the question, “what is the meaning of life?†Instead, I am sitting here wondering, “what is the meaning of badminton?†or more importantly, what is the meaning of badminton to me.

Late Friday evening is a great time to think deeper than we normally do, there is no stress from having to go to work the next day, the brain is full of energy from all the badminton excitement in the evening. But as the evening quiets down, all neighbors are asleep, it is the best time to ponder about the deeper side of life.

Most of us are pure badminton addicts, we visit the gym 3+ times a week to satisfy our addiction. Even when we are off, the true addicts will be thinking about badminton moves and simulating games in their head during sleepy hours and at work. Face it, there are many of us who live and breathe badminton.

While we are engrossed in such a great activity, I think we need to routinely ask ourselves, what really do badminton mean to us. Is it just a pass time? an exercise? a social gathering? A way to meet girls? Or just an addiction that probably requires therapy to shake off?

So here is the list I came up with for me:

Exercise – sure, I don’t think anybody can deny that badminton is great exercise. I was telling on of my more senior colleague about a recent illness that I have. What he told me really made sense, he says there is a certain transition period in life where problems here and there will start to creep up. Like a 2-3 years old car, problem will start to come up. Staying fit and doing exercise will certain help staying healthy.

Social – I get to meet a lot of people and made a lot of friends from playing badminton. It just happens that almost everybody who plays badminton are nice friendly people. Furthermore, it is a great way to spend time together with my family.

Brain exercise – badminton isn’t just a exercise of the muscles, but also the brain. A game of badminton is like a game of chess, I have to make the right moves to come out ahead of my opponents. Having to sit in a cubicle all day, doing a different brain exercise is quite refreshing.

Passion – live and breathe badminton, passion is what fuels me in badminton. Passion is what made me created BadmintonCentral.com.

Addiction – like passion, I am also addicted. This is not a recent phenomenon. If you had known me when I was 12, and then you see me again now, you will not be surprised that I am still playing badminton. The addiction has been there since I first picked up my racket.

Even so, after listed the above, I find that neither individually nor as a whole do they really define the essence or the meaning of badminton to me. I was left more puzzled than I was in the beginning.

Then I realize, perhaps there really isn’t any need to know the meaning of badminton, as it is so ingrained inside, it is akin to a personality. Imagine the following :

Mom : “why are you so stubborn?â€
    Son : “that’s the way I am!â€

So I still cannot answer the original question, what is the meaning of badminton to me. But from trying to answer the question, I realized the following:

âœBadminton, that’s the way I am.â€

2. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    mmm.

Here's my opnion of what is the meaning of badminton.

I feel that it all started as a social activity for many of us. Many of us also picked it up as a form of exercise. For many asian people, badminton is almost a culture. Many Indonesians, Malaysians & Chinese can all agree that this has been one of the sports we were brought up with especially during the times at school.

But aside from that, the one main reason we all play badminton is prolly cause we feel no boundaries. Many of us get to express ourselves in a game of badminton. We can release our aggression and show our 'true' mental capabilities in the game. As you said it is like chess. We get to shout, play mind tricks show off a couple of moves ( 360 backhand jump smash ;) ) and others.

The feeling of a jump smash which I'm sure many of us have experienced is one of the best in the world. Feeling that you can almost fly while landing a killer blow to your opponent brings enough satisfaction to one especially after a hard day's work.

Another reason many of us take to badminton is because of the equipment. Those of you ( you know who you are :D :D ) are guilty of a sin of buying too many when you know that you can't afford it ;). It's like people who collect cars, some admire it for the beauty, the power and the feel. Well many of us buy multiple racquets even though we only need one.

Racquets aside, how many of you blokes out there have met the love of your life on court and by that I do not mean your favourite racquet ;). This is prolly also another reason why badminton means so much.

Or maybe you enjoy an almost entire body workout?? Good way to keep fit you know. Most of your muscles are being worked and it isn't boring. We get to have a chat with other people we normally play.

How bout those of you who got into the sport 'cause you saw a hottie playing on the pro circuit?? ;) You saw how graceful the game can be played at a fast and furious level. You enjoy the skill and power demonstrated. You want to imitate your idols performing those precise killer shots the drops the fakes the fast exchange of drives at each other.

mmm.

*thinks*
    AHah!! How bout those of you who play badminton competitively. *cough* JR/TL *cough* I'm sure many of you enjoy the competition, thats why you dream of badminton at night when you sleep, when you have your morning cup of starbucks, when you go on a date with your gf or have dinner at grandma's. You'd try to watch videos trying to learn as fast as you can to be better than your opponent though your games may be social. The urge to win is instilled in everyone. Possibly that is your channel for competitiveness.

So what is badminton to you? That was the main question.
    *sorry for beating round the bush if I am, as I am typing this I just came out of an exam hall after completing my malay language paper*

I can definitely say it is a part of your life, whether you live by the equipment or you just want the competitiveness or work out. It is just a part of you that will never go away.

-------------------------------------

Sorry once again if I am typing nonsense
    :)

3. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    The meaning of badminton:

Hit the shuttle with the racket (string part is best), not all the time as it would be too easy :rolleyes: and have fun!!

As for the true meaning of badminton, it is our religion - go spread the word

I know I used a religion analogy but dont close the thread Kwun.

4. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Vancouver was a new city to me a few years ago. I didn't know many people, and people didn't know me. It's weird how you'd feel "don't belong" to a new place for a while before adapting.

Man, when I stepped on a badminton court, I realized I could play "competently" compared to the general drop-in crowd, and that other players either welcomed me heartily, or look on some games with me as "challenging."

So definitely for me, badminton is:

1. validation
    2. enjoyment
    3. competency
    4. social - I've met so many friends through baddy!
    5. vice - too much time on BadmintonForum :)

Exercise? I remember someone here posted: Exercise so you can play badminton, don't play badminton to exercise (something to do with fitness).

-dave

5. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

i always thought of it like a non-combative martial art - Footwork, Tempo, Attack - Defence. Deceptiveness, Skill, endurance and Training - are all elements of it.

i've heard tennis/raquetball, squash etc. called boxing w/out brain damage... but i think badminton is more like a sword fight :D

religion? .. i dont know about that but

sometimes i think how lucky those players are who get to do this for a living..

it definately can be addicting... doesnt' it suck when the gym is closing and you have to leave? .. LOL

i'm not the kind of player who wants to leave early cuz i'm tired or sore .. i want to be the first one to arrive and the last to leave :p

#5 wedgewenis, Oct 23, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2004
  6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Well Spoken Kwun... :) What is Badminton , Its a Lifestyle..:)

7. Amateur

Amateur Regular Member

Adminstrator
    Badminton? It's my first love, which I know even if I can't
    be with it (when I'm really too old to play), I will still think of it
    and continuing loving it.

It's a channel where I somestimes really learn the meaning of life.

#7 Amateur, Oct 23, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2004
  8. prophet

prophet Regular Member

teacher
    To find the meaning of badminton, much like to find the meaning of life, is so simple yet complex at the same time.

To me, the meaning of life is to find the meaning of life. Sounds redundant and maybe nonsensical but just think about it for a moment. The meaning of life is the search, the journey to find one's life. So the whole process of the search becomes the whole meaning.

I feel the same way towards the meaning of badminton. It is the journal and search while playing, thinking, dreaming, etc of badminton. It is the search for the 'perfect' smash, the georgeous drop shot, the magnificent moment when everything comes together. It is the joy of winning a hard game, the agony of losing a close game, and the feeling of pure competition or just plan social fun. It is the feeling you get when you are totally drained because you've given absolutely every single ounce of energy and will power to a game. It is the search for perfection, be it in footwork, pronation or whatever.

The meaning of badminton, to me, is in the journey to find the meaning of badminton.

9. RobertGJohns

RobertGJohns New Member

Badminton to me is all about how you get a feeling of importance.

People's actions in life are governed by their craving to be special, or significant.

And badminton works this way on any number of levels, in fact probably as many levels as there are players.

On it's simplest level, just by being on court playing one person, you are significant in a small way to them, because without you they wouldn't have a game.

And taking it all the way to the top of the tree, the very best players are continually working to become as important/significant as possible by winning the most tournaments/medals etc.

Find the particular feeling of importance that a player gets from badminton, and you'll find the (real) meaning of badminton to them.

10. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

In society there are always hierarchies regarding social statues / wealth / intellectual ability. Badminton is one of the sports (which I enjoy) that allows the players to truly compete with one another on level terms. Played fairly, competitors from all walks of life and backgrounds stand equal.
    Everyone has the same feeling of importance.
    JL
    PS It basically allows me to beat people who are way smarter than I.

11. ZoeggeN

ZoeggeN Regular Member

student
    I think, once I can let out all my aggresions/stress of studying an some other things, otherwise I love - like some others of you - the unending possibilites, the game gives. Compared to - e.g. swimming - you can make several different shots - in swimming you can just go on as fast as you can. In badminton you can defeat your opponent not only with the best physical conditions, but with tricks and tactic, too.

Either I like that i get known to otheraged people - even if I in most cases beat them anyway ;)

Stay tuned!

12. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    I copy from Andy

Andy posted this somewhere. I copied his post to here.

Googlism for: badminton

badminton is not tough enough for you
    badminton is fun and easy to play
    badminton is a very demanding game
    badminton is that game we all play at family picnics and in the backyard
    badminton is een mondiale sport en ook in suriname is het spel populair
    badminton is a sport played by around 120
    badminton is a game with many faces
    badminton is the second most popular sport in the world
    badminton is one of the fastest and most exciting racket sports in the world
    badminton is cool
    badminton is one of 27 club sports under the jurisdiction of the recreational sports department
    badminton is just one sport in this olympic
    badminton is truly a sport for all age groups and genders
    badminton is a great summer game
    badminton is your sport
    badminton is vastly different from the game played by many americans with friends and relatives in the backyard
    badminton is an indoor racket sport
    badminton is the answer
    badminton is one the world's fastest racket sports
    badminton is more than just a fun backyard barbecue game
    badminton is more than that
    badminton is a very popular sport in many areas of the world
    badminton is de sport waar je "alles" in kwijt kan
    badminton is dat ik er talent voor blijk te hebben
    badminton is a game they play for a short while at school and then forget about
    badminton is that game played with an impromptu net in the backyard
    badminton is enjoyed worldwide by millions of people of all ages including 4
    badminton is crap
    badminton is one of a sport that requires no special physical needs
    badminton is actually an excellent game
    badminton is considered a serious sport by some
    badminton is published in august and dates may have changed
    badminton is a fantastic sport often considered in france as a beach sport
    badminton is the world's most popular sport
    badminton is a familiar and well
    badminton is an enjoyable and surprisingly
    badminton is een amsterdamse badmintonvereniging met een studentikoos trekje
    badminton is the birdie
    badminton is 80% looks
    badminton is that game played with an impromptu net in the backyard after a beer or two on a sunny afternoon
    badminton is thought to have derived its name from the duke of badminton
    badminton is definitely not just a picnic sport
    badminton is named after the seat of the dukes beaufort in the south of gloucestershire
    badminton is presented as a sport offering great fun
    badminton is eigelijk een andere naam voor tennis goed/fout bij opslaan mag je slaan waar je wilt goed/fout ik spaar ook dranken spullen goed/fout ik
    badminton is een simpel spelletje voor op het strand
    badminton is a popular back yard game for many people
    badminton is putting together an active coaching database for players to contact top coaches in auckland for coaching
    badminton is currently hosting the new zealand junior championships
    badminton is a quite backyard game
    badminton is extremely popular in asia and parts of europe
    badminton is concerned?
    badminton is the capital nicosia
    badminton is also an intense
    badminton is not as impossible to master as you may have thought
    badminton is a popular sport played in many schools
    badminton is a game that somewhat resembles tennis and volleyball and involves the use of a net
    badminton is a gentle
    badminton is the official publication of the international badminton federation
    badminton is the type that you play in your backyard or at a picnic
    badminton is a quiet backyard barbecue game
    badminton is oorlog
    badminton is a three
    badminton is a precision sport requiring precision equipment and proper facilities
    badminton is the second
    badminton is a highly aerobic sport which can be played throughout one's lifetime
    badminton is a sport that requires determination
    badminton is the international badminton federation
    badminton is an increasingly popular sport that can be played throughout the year at cashmere high school
    badminton is een dynamische zaalsport en al meer dan 100 jaar oud
    badminton is separate from social play and consists of skills coaching
    badminton is "the" world's fastest racket sport
    badminton is a racket sport
    badminton is played indoors on a court over a high net
    badminton is een sport voor iedereen die sportief is
    badminton is available from the international badminton
    badminton is played by both men and women
    badminton is a great way of maintaining health
    badminton is one of only six sports included at every arctic winter games
    badminton is a very important component of the olympic games
    badminton is a very popular game in malaysia we should all promote and support the game
    badminton is played? men
    badminton is one the worldÂ’s fastest racket sports
    badminton is enjoyed by athletes as young as eight and as old as 92
    badminton is the most coveted championship in the sport of eventing
    badminton is back on
    badminton is added
    badminton is my favourite sport
    badminton is played with great passion and is a favorite past
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    why do u like badminton ?

Hey !! What makes badminton such appealing to you ? There are no right or wrong answers :) .

I honestly love the fact that it is quick-paced but every1 has their own opinions about it so lets hear it !!

14. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    When I play, all my worries go away. I live during the moment. Afterwards, my mind is clearer, and I feel as if I have just lost all the tension I had. I go back for that feeling.

15. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    Let's merge it up :)

16. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

personally aside from the speed/reflexes of the game - i like the explosivness of the movement...the transition from attack to defence - and back to attack feels really cool... durring a rally you can be forced up - back - side to side - down low .. on the ground and when u get the chance in the air :D so i really like the way the energy flows.

it seems like badminton is a game where people will either like it enough to find out if its worth takeing up ... or drop it for something more challenging - but once they see that in reality the game is very very challenging and they get some edge over it its like there is no turning back they are hooked.

17. Jus_anothr_grl

Jus_anothr_grl Regular Member

student
    Basically, I like meeting new friends and ofcourse I like the fact that I'm preventing myself from getting <i> too </i> fat...:D

18. acwong

acwong Regular Member

The girl i like likes badminton, that's why. :eek:

19. A$hCl@rke

A$hCl@rke New Member

student
    my opinion :)

to be honest i just love the fact that you can play anywer ne time!! at any level! but the thing that makes me love it is wen i am in rally and you are tired but have to push your self and play thru it! it gives me great satisfaction.. and a great feeling! :D
    it is also great to meet new people and easy to get involved in..:p

20. fan

fan Regular Member

There aren’t that many places in this world that are only belong to you and your passion. Badminton is one of them, to me. ;)