What is the Purpose of Badminton?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by SnowWhite, Jan 3, 2021.

1. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

This thread is inspired by the recent thread about whether coaching should be allowed. This took a bend toward what badminton means for different groups of people.

I started playing because my father played and as a 7 year old, all I wanted was to be like him. I still play as much as I can, because it facilitates a state of flow I can not experience any other way. It's the best stress reliever I've ever known, a way to express aggression and process frustration, and pursuing improvement in badminton is also a tremendous source of happiness and fulfillment.

Why do you play badminton? Why do you coach? Why do you string rackets? Why do you watch badminton? Why do you do the thing you do related to badminton, whatever it is?
    Which do you prefer? Why do you prefer one over the other? Why are you on this forum?

kwun and Fidget like this.
  2. visor

visor Regular Member

Have you watched Pixar's just released animation movie, Soul? Being in the zone is where our minds transcend time and space. And that's what I feel in badminton when the mind and body functions perfectly in sync. It becomes a high to chase after that it can become increasingly addictive...

Exercise and getting physically fit are just secondary side effects to me.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

#2 visor, Jan 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    kwun and SnowWhite like this.
  3. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

Well, the thread refers to official BWF rules, so the purpose of those has to be taken into account.

The reason why an individual person plays/coaches/strings/watches/devotes any time to badminton is a totally different question. A player playing for fun with his friends can make up own rules, they're not forced to follow BWF's rules in any way.

BWF on the other hand has a product they want to sell, so the reasoning behind that is too make it appealing to people and thus companies for sponsoring and broadcasting.

I play and compete for fun and exercise (which is closely related), to push myself, I feel more as a coach and do that for various reasons.... but BWF doesn't care about that and they shouldn't.

When I watch badminton for various reasons, fun, analysing professionals, ....

SnowWhite likes this.
  4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

For me,

I work sitting behind desk all day, so i definitely need some workout to stay healthy.
    I play basketball, football at school but its not easy to gather those many player with all our life activity. Not to mention basketball court also not common here to rent.
    So here & now its badminton court that are quite common for rent & at worst case, just 2 people & i can still playing.

& last, at my company they support sport activity pingpong, basketball, football, & badminton. The most active are badminton due to less people requirement & well... The court are nearby or can be said im passing it everyday on my way home.

michael5098 likes this.
  5. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    I totally thought the same thing when I watched it! lol. What a great movie, eh?

I also don't know why I love badminton. I personally don't need to know the "purpose" of badminton as if I enjoy something, even if it brings no other benefits to my life, then I am happy to just let it be in my life without needing a specific purpose. But I would like to know why I love it so much and why I am so obsessed with it. I have always hated sports, hated exercise and never had any interest in doing or trying any sport. So why did I find this intense passion and love for badminton of all things?! And at 40 years old! I really can't answer that and I've thought about it a lot! I just love everything about it.

visor and SnowWhite like this.
  6. Avian Rodrigues

Avian Rodrigues Regular Member

Are you writing for a book or blog? The answer is much deeper and more meaningful than any other sport personalities attempting to answer these questions..

#6 Avian Rodrigues, Apr 12, 2021
    Last edited: May 14, 2021