Where to play in Kingston?

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by Copyright3k, May 20, 2005.

1. Copyright3k

Copyright3k Regular Member

Student
    I'm deciding between universities and badminton is one of the factors. Is there anywhere to play in Kingston (Queen's)? I guess I'm more towards the advance level. I know Queen's had recreational badminton but is there anywhere near that I can take lessons? Thanks.

2. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    http://www.ontariobadminton.on.ca/Client/OBA/OBAWebsite.nsf

Well , there is a club that's called Limestone in Kingston . Not sure whether it's good or not though (never heard of it before ) . But if you are willing to travel a bit further for your lessons , there are lots of GREAT places to play near Toronto .

3. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    Lol. From Kingston to Toronto? Are you joking. 5 hour drive. Lol. He should fly here. :)

4. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    Just choose UT, or Western, or if you are really good, go to Waterloo and join the team.

5. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    oops :eek: ... never knew Kingston was so far away from Toronto ... < I'm so embarassed now ... lol >

6. Jus_anothr_grl

Jus_anothr_grl Regular Member

student
    Come to Queen's! I'm hoping to see if I can make a team for 2005/2006. And we'd definitely need guys.

7. Double_Player

Double_Player Regular Member

this is the place. I live in kingston so I know.

YMCA at wright crescent near kingston centre: every tuesday drop in play

LCVI high school aka limestone B.C. (badminton club): I'm joining there in septembre

La Salle SS: never been there

Artillery park: never been there

If u do chose Queen's that's good. Looking for rival/player at the Y. I've played all the regular (ofcourse there is some win and lose) and wanting some more challenge

#7 Double_Player, Sep 10, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2005
  8. Double_Player

OK new post after a year. Limestone BC in Kingston, ON is open for registration. we're gonna have 9 courts open. yes, 9 courts this year (so I've been told by the club official). we play at a local HS, mavis 350 shuttle is provided. junior is on monday 6:30 to 7:30 and then adult on 7:30 to 9:30. thursday is on 7-9 adult only.

fee is about $90 if it hasn't been increased. I haven't register for this season. I think it's the same

just want to let u guys know ;)

9. asphyxiate

asphyxiate Regular Member

LOL :D don't worry, its not actually 5 hours away. More like two and a half, or 3 with bad traffic. Haha.

And apparently Queen's claims not to have a badminton team but they have a club, which is also a "competitive club", meaning that while not a formal team, they actually do compete against other universities. I know its weird, and I don't really understand it.. but whatever. I don't think I'd be good enough to compete but playing recreationally would be great :).

10. Double_Player

I'm not sure about the competitive club. but thye don't have a formal team. there are plenty of good player in queen's club. as long as u want to pay the entrance fee or have friend who don't mind using the fire escape/back door to let u in

11. asphyxiate

You need to pay to play in the Queen's club? How much? But.. athletic information night is coming up so I guess I'll get some information then. Hopefully. :D

12. Double_Player

hey! u are in kingston, aren't you? I'm pretty sure I have some guess passes left on my YMCA card. come by if u like @ 8:30 every tuesday.

it's free for students and staffs, outsider pay $7 per day (which is expensive, but cheaper compare to YMCA -> $11 for adult). RMC is good too for $6 perday.

or as I said, have friend to open the back door. jjust becautious on it, since the seccurity might be around at an unexpected moment.

13. asphyxiate

Haha, guilty as charged :p.

But I'm a student so it'll be free, which is very convenient. YMCA would be iffy for me at this point because I'm new to Kingston.. can't navigate outside the campus. Haha. Thanks for the info though.

14. Double_Player

pretty easy mate. take number 2 bus from the bus stop in front of Grant hall (the one with the clock tower infront of agnes etherington art centre) or the one near stauffer library to kingston center, ask the bus driver to be sure. @ k-town centre get off the bus and cross the princess st. if you are facing the cibc bank, the ymca is across the street. last bus down to queen's ghetto is around 10. or you could walk home or bike or drive, which is pretty close. or go up johnson st untill u hit palace road (there would be a fire station on your left), turn right, then keep going untill u see wright crescent. the intersection is near a town house complex. turn left and keep going untill u see the parking entrance to the Y.

I have friends @ the uni who play badminton @ Y. so maybe I could convince him to bring me in. I'll let u know when I'm coming down to Queen's. I'm the one with orange head racquet bag. I play mostly with feathers starting this summer. or look for either AT700 or BK i920

15. asphyxiate

Ha, wow, crazy directions. I don't even know when the club meets and all that so I'll have to find that out.. and err.. I'm not very good just to let you know. Not horrible but certainly not of a competitive calibre. Haha. Anyway, perhaps I'll see you around.

16. Double_Player

eh, no worries. I'm not that good either, although I'd like to say and think that I'm good :p :D. don't worry about coming to the Y. if u can't make it, no problem. I'll come down to Queen's once that badminton club starts.

17. asphyxiate

Haha, I think I've worsened even more since its been a few weeks since I've even touched my racquet.. definitely come to Queen's if you can, and if you do find out from your friend when it is, feel free to share the information :D since I'm not entirely sure where to find that stuff out from. Badminton is unfortunately not very big here :eek:. And if I do show up, I'm the one with the fake racquet :p.

18. supreme86

supreme86 Regular Member

undergraduate :)
    i dont know if anybody still reads this thread
    i'm in the Queen's baddy club and I was playin with my new AT800 OF yesterday and it snapped on the 3rd hit. THE 3rd HIT. well its strung with BG65-Ti at 20lbs, i believe its due to the stringer's skills. do u guys know where to get it restrung in kingston? I could get my friends to do it in Toronto but then i'd have weeks without my racquet since my backup broke as well, and restringing usually takes more than 2 days ? I dont know..PM me if you guys know. thanks in advance:)

19. dex

dex Regular Member

Student
    I have tried all these stringing place:

Lee's: took 1 week to get my racquet strung
    Mandarin: took 48 hours
    Yo's Sports: took less than 24 hrs, sometimes he'll string it immediately for you

20. asphyxiate

Borrow one of the rental ones.. they can't be that bad... right??? :p Or maybe you have a friend who has more than one racquet that they can lend you? :eek: tight spot though, maybe you can look up Kingston 411 or something.