which md pair will win the 2012 olympic gold medal?

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by limsy, Dec 26, 2009.

1. yamsyams

yamsyams Regular Member

I don't understand your rationale at all. I mean, yes, Kido/Setiawan played better in the finals and were the rightful winners, but saying that they are worthier champions because they used a risky strategy goes against all logic and common sense. If they indeed used a "risky strategy" that can backfire on them, isn't their win then primarily based on luck?

I disagree entirely on the point of Cai/Fu on the decline. If anything, their game has improved dramatically since the Olympics, and even in the last 12 months. Their defense became better, they no longer NEED to be in their preferred formation to win points, and they are less jittery on the big points. As of now I think they are the top contenders for London. JJS seems to have recovered from his shoulder injury since KO, which is a good sign.

2. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    I don't want to talk about this but since you bring it up, this is the last time i will say it before deviating from this thread. Kido and Setiawan's risky strategy was keeping the shuttle as low and possible and to make the opponents lift in order for them to attack. You re-watch the final, Cai-Fu were absolutely clueless about the way Kido and Setiawan played . No matter what, they do their best to control the shuttle at the net and makes sure the Chinese will lift it. Even Cai couldnt do anything about it, eventually Cai-Fu were totally outplayed. It wasn't primarily luck I disagree, it was in fact a high level of underlying risk in that strategy that could backfire if the opposition could respond well to the net exchange but no, Cai Fu failed to see that coming so in the end they lost decisively. Silver was the best they could achieve in that game and to be honest the medal winners were not the ones i expected them to be..

That's the thing in past but now the one aspect the pair has declined in terms of dynamics. Fu Haifeng could no longer perform the same series of smashes like he once did probably due to age and the same is also catching up on Cai Yun. They are definitely 100 times better than they were in 2008 Beijing tactics-wise and formation that one i agree. However, for them to win the Olympics is an uphill task, i see a lot of pairs are able to challenge them and put up a strong fight. Their victories were never as easy as JJS and LYD. The only pairs that could undermine JJS and LYD are Cai-Fu themselves and Carsten Mogensen/Boe. I wish to include INA pairs unfortunatley i failed to see one as a true contender

3. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Be prepared my friend :p

4. superjyfan

superjyfan Regular Member

It's an uphill task for anyone to win the Olympics, how come you repeatedly pick on Cai/Fu despite them being world #1 and one of the best players in the world?

Let's see some statistics. Listed below are JJS/LYD and CY/FHF's losses to all other pairs for the past 1.5 years where both pairs are actively participating in all major tournaments:

Jung/Lee's losses: 9 different pairs and 14 matches
    Ko/Yoo 3
    Chai/Guo 2
    Boe/Morgensen 2
    Kido/Setiawan 2
    Koo/Tan 1
    Pratama/Saputra 1
    Tan/Hoon 1
    Songphon/Sudket 1
    Endo/Hayakawa 1

Cai/Fu's losses: 5 different pairs and 5 matches
    Boe/Morgensen 1
    Koo/Tan 1
    Ko/Yoo 1
    Chai/Guo 1
    Rasmussen/Petersen 1

No offense to Jung/Lee, I admit they are one of the best pairs in the world. However, from statistics above, it's unfair to say Cai/Fu has more trouble against most other pairs compared to Jung/Lee.

#84 superjyfan, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  5. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    Because I just can't imagine China raising their flag on the MD gold medal podium..like Li Yongbo himself, I expect CHN to settle for three/two gold medals as their minimum target because ANYTHING can happen especially upsets on the Chinese when they are picked as strong favourites, so the pressure is on them.

6. phili

phili Regular Member

As long as JJS's shoulder has recovered 100% I think JJS/LYD are the top contender for gold.

7. superjyfan

superjyfan Regular Member

Upset is another story, I agree anything can happen. But you were not talking about upsets all this long, you made it sound like Cai/Fu are incapable of doing whatever the others are capable of doing, that's why I showed you the statistics.