Who will be in WC 2006?

Discussion in 'World Championships 2006' started by 2cents, Aug 2, 2006.

1. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    Before we ask who will win WC, we'd better ask who will be in WC. Chen Yu is pretty hot now, unbeatable at TO, but will he get a chance to play WC? Probably not. If there are 4 players from China ranked higher than 8, China can send 4 to WC. My question is: if Chen Yu's ranking between 8 and 16, can team China send him plus other 3 in top 8 ?

First step first, let us see who will be in WC. I think the following people will go there for sure:

Lin Dan, Lee CW, Gade, Jonassen, Lee HI, Hafiz, Ponsana, Ng, Taufik.

I am not sure about the followings:

Chen Hong, Chen Jin, Bao CL, Chen Yu, Wong Choonghan, Kaldau, Sony, Simmon, Shon SM...

So many good players could be rejected to play, so WC is really not as good as other open tournaments.

#1 2cents, Aug 2, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  2. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Chen Hong's preparedness (WC)

News said the Chen Hong is not satisfied this year's performance. He went to 3 tournaments, and got 3 #3 positions (3 semifinalists). He's disappointed. He also broke up with his girl friend recently, so now the WC is the only thing he's concentrated on.

[​IMG]

He also mentioned he's ready to be a singles coach.

3. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Bao CL's preparedness

[​IMG]

From the picture, you can tell that Bao wants to have stronger legs. He said he didn't do well before in the matches because his legs were not strong enough.

Unlike Lin Dan, Chen Hong's low profiles, Bao CL said nothing can stop him from the World Champion except injuries. The good news is that He said he will be fully recovered by the WC.

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Badminton: Chong Wei changes his priority
    12 Aug 2006
    K. M . Boopathy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LEE Chong Wei dropped a shocker yesterday.

His top priority this year is not next month’s World Championships in Madrid but to win the Asian Games singles gold in Doha in December.

The way Chong Wei sees it, the World Championships is now an annual affair while the Asian Games is held once in four years and if he doesn’t win gold in Doha, he will be 28 by the time the Games is held again in 2010.

"I prefer to win the Asian Games gold this year. I will be 28 in 2010 and winning gold then will be very difficult," said Chong Wei when met at a presentation of QI Ltd as the title sponsors of the 2006 World Championships, in Bandar Sunway yesterday.

"Please don’t mistake me. The World Championships is equally important for me and I want to win the event too but I need to make a choice as the two tournaments are too close.

"It will be fantastic to win both titles but I have to be very objective and plan my strategies. I do not know what my condition will be in four years and let me grab the opportunity now.

"If I fail to win the world title in Madrid, I can always bounce back and capture the title in Kuala Lumpur next year."

Chong Wei’s biggest threat in Madrid would be World No 1 Lin Dan of China, who is also aiming for his first triumph in the World Championships.

Having lost to Lin Dan three times in his last four meetings this year, the going is expected to be tough for Chong Wei.

But Chong Wei, who has recovered from a knee injury suffered at the Macau Open three weeks ago, is expected to become the second Malaysian to reach the singles final after Wong Choong Hann in 2003.

Sports Minister Datuk Azalina Othman Said, who was present at yesterday’s presentation, also urged Chong Wei to go for the title in Madrid.

"Malaysia and badminton are closely knitted and expectations are high and the players must continue producing results." Azalina said.

As much as Chong Wei wants gold in Doha, the possibility of him winning in Madrid is there.

His international form this year has been good as he won the Swiss and Malaysia Opens and the Asian title. He also was briefly ranked as the World No 1.

Chong Wei had also beaten Lin Dan en route to the Malaysia Open title in June.

But the shuttler is adamant that the Asian Games is where his sight is trained on.

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Badminton: We decide what's best
    13 Aug 2006
    K.M. Boopathy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LEE Chong Wei has been told to focus on the World Championships while doubles pair Chan Chong Ming-Koo Kien Keat will have to abide by whatever decision coach Rexy Mainaky makes ahead of the Madrid challenge on Sept 18-24.

Chong Wei has been set a minimal semi-final target by national chief coach Yap Kim Hock, who expects the World No 2 to at least maintain the bronze medal finish of last year’s edition in Anaheim, United States.
    As for World No 4 Chong Ming-Kien Keat, they will only play in the Hong Kong Open if Rexy decides they need to.
    The pair, who were bronze medallists in last year’s World Championships, irked Rexy when they said they wanted to play in the Aug 29-Sept 3 Hong Kong Open, which starts just two days after the end of the Korea Open.
    Their reason was they wanted to safeguard their ranking but like Rexy, Kim Hock poured cold water over their "aspirations."

"Rexy has the mandate to decide on his players’ programme. Rexy knows his players best and if he feels Chong Ming-Kien Keat shouldn’t play in Hong Kong, it should be followed," said Kim Hock.

Kien Keat said the pair will leave it to Rexy to decide.
    "Our aim is to do well in the World Championships and we don’t want anything to affect that. As far as I’m concerned, our ranking doesn’t matter at all," said Kien Keat.

"We made the semi-finals (of the World Championships) last year and want to do better. That’s is the most important thing right now."

As for Chong Wei, the World Championships remain a priority despite the shuttler stressing that he views winning gold in December’s Doha Asian Games as the priority.
    But Kim Hock said the target for the squad, who returned with two bronze medals from Anaheim, is to improve on the haul in Madrid and Chong Wei has been set a semi-final target for starters.
    Chong Wei’s reasoning was that as the Asian Games are once in four years, he should aim for gold in Doha while the World Championships will now be an annual affair, only taking a break in Olympic years.
    Not according to Kim Hock and that means Chong Wei must start aiming higher now for the Madrid challenge.

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Interesting articles on Lee Chong Wei's preparation..

..thanks for sharing the article, cooler..from what i've read, both articles sound conflicting with each other : in one (dated Aug. 13th) it says they are focusing LCW on the World Championships while the other (dated Aug. 12th) it mentioned LCW's top priority IS NOT the WC rather than the Asian Games..?!?!..:confused: :rolleyes: :p

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

yes, that's why i posted both of them consecutively. This type of difference in point of view between employee/player with managment is quite common;)
    I don't know if LCW said that so he can hope that the pressure is taken off him on the 06 WC. I dont see why lcw couldnt make it to the semi final in the coming WC, he is one of the top 4 MS dog right now.

#7 cooler, Aug 14, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

hmm, yah, that's what my first impression was also after reading the articles, perhaps he said that so he won't put pressure on himself..:rolleyes: