Wilson Ncode Series

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Scott Kam, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

Wilson has launched the Ncode series (N85, N90, and NPro) in its badminton line-up. Anyone has a trial?

2. forrestyung

forrestyung Regular Member

Salesman
    Hi Scott, long time no see!! :D

Have you seem the Ncode badminton in Hong Kong?? Since the Ncode tennis rackets are very cool in design, I think I will buy the badminton racket after received double pay. :)

3. forrestyung

Salesman
    I cannot find it from Wilson's homepage, any reference site??

4. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

You know the websites are turtles (like the ones of Prince, Carlton and Wilson).

I found the series in "New Youth", Mong Kok

5. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    Thank you Scott. I have high expectation in their Ncodes. How come you are so fast in the market?

6. forrestyung

Salesman
    He He, I will have November salary tomorrow and I will go straight for it if the price under is HK$500. :D

7. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    Please string it on BG65 at high tension and give the whole BC a fresh report.

#7 redkingjoe, Nov 28, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2004
  8. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    Don't forget to buy the power cord

9. forrestyung

Salesman
    OK, but the report may come in mid of next week.

In fact, I have a Carlton racket which string in 26 x 28, the performance is very good.

I think it will be better to have 2 identical rackets with different strings in same lbs for comparision. Once I get the double pay, I will buy one more Babolat Chrono, then I can do the test.

10. forrestyung

Salesman
    Hi All,

I have bought the N Pro and strung with BG-65 at 25 x 27.5lbs.

At this moment, I feel the frame is quite strong and the racket specification as follows:

92+-3grams
    with the V-power cap
    Triangular section on frame
    Nano Tech.

I will test it in YMCA tomorrow. After test, I will write again.

11. forrestyung

Salesman
    Price is good. HK$452 with BG-65 string. Net value is only HK$400 if you do not have the stringing machine.

Nano Speed 7000 should be 4 x Wilson N pro...............

12. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    Head heavy or light?
    Compare to NS7000, AT700 or 800, MP99 Ti10, CAB30, Boron...., please

#12 redkingjoe, Nov 29, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  13. Bieffe

Bieffe Regular Member

Engineer
    Lots of this racket in Singapore. The N90 is 92g and the N86? is 85g.

The rackets all looks great. Price from S$115 i remembered. Need to see my price guide thread to get the price here in SGP.

I love HK!

14. NB1700

NB1700 Regular Member

Hi yung, where did you buy Babolat racquets and how much is a Chrono? I would like to get a Chrono but never seen it in Hong Kong.:(

15. forrestyung

Salesman
    Hi NB1700,

I have the Babolat Comet before, then shifted to Chrono since I like the Oval head.

The Comet is bought from Swiss from my friend and it's price is over HK$1000. Later on, my friend (the same person) bought the Chrono from Taiwan, the price is around HK$650. Since I like the Oval head more, so I exchange the Comet for Chrono. In fact Comet is more powerful than Chrono.

I have asked Mister Keen and the staff believe Hong Kong will not import the top line of Babolat badminton racket since they are made in China with high price from Babolat head office. I have seem Double posted serval Babolat rackets for sale in BC (He He, just do not have Chrono....), you can contact him and see his rackets have been sold or not.

16. forrestyung

Salesman
    Return to N Pro...............

Attached Files:

17. forrestyung

Salesman
    As per previous message, I have strung BG-65 at 25 x 27.5 lbs.

The cone is called Volcanic Power Cap, it is originated from the V series.
    The six red small gromets are Iso-zorb Eyelet, they are used to absorb vibation.
    The main material is nCoded (Nano Tech) Hyper Carbon Graphite.
    It's recommend tension is 20-28lbs
    It's balance point is 285mm

I tried it in YMCA tonight, it is a very strange racket. Excellent for defensive, response is very fast, Excellent Power......... it also provide Excellent power in smashing, but the ball feeling is not very good. It feels a hammer hitting nail rather than racket hitting shuttlecork.........

I used a long time to adapt it, but failed. In the 3rd game, I shifted back to my old Cab 9. I have not compared with AT and MP, but I can tell Wilson is totally different from Yonex.

For Foreign Guys, if you like the feel of Hyper Carbon (Extremely Hard) and have spare money, it will be a good try. For Hong Kong Guys, I think you can borrow from me before making decision. Don't waste Money :D, if you like it after test, then go ahead to buy it. In fact, some younger teamates in YMCA like it's power very much.

I will have another game in Thursday and let some of my advanced friends to try it.

#17 forrestyung, Nov 30, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2004
  18. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    Thankyou for the excellent report written. It might take a very very long time to a new design and brands. It took my son a month to adapt to AT800 from Ti-Swing Power. Initially, he didn't like AT. After continuous comparison, he said the AT was superior.

Please keep on trying for a while.

Thanks again.

19. Yipom

Yipom Regular Member

Is it IN NA ~.~..... i haven't seen any around.... but of course... its Canada *sigh*.....

It looks really Nice... =D esp. the White Originall Grip =D and the White CONE!!

20. crosstrainer

crosstrainer Regular Member

IT consultant
    nCODE 90

a review i wrote for www.pinoybadminton.com

Wilson N CODE 90
    Weight 87Grams +/-3 grams
    G4 Grip
    Weird Iso-Oval shaped head
    Max tension 24lbs (manufacturer stated)
    SRP: Php6500.00 (at US$ 1 = php56.2)

First Impressions:

I've heard of the nCODE rackets back in June/July when the stringers at my suki Toby's branch excitedly told me that Wilson is coming up with a new line of tennis and badminton rackets. Completely forgot about it, until I actually saw the Tennis rackets a few months ago. I'll have to say that the Tennis N CODE rackets are LOVELY. White with gray/silver accents... It reminds me so much of the 4th gen iPod!

Fast forward to today. Feeling lucky, I went to greenhills (a bargain mall) to visit my 2 favorite badminton stores there, and lo and behold! The nCODE badminton rackets were there! I have to say that cosmetically, the nCODE 90 does not disappoint. This racket is a work of art. You'l have to see it to appreciate it! The cosmetics alone is almost worth the steep amount you'll have to shell out.

The question now is if the racket will perform as well as it looks.

Warm-up Impressions:

My first hit with the nCODE 90 feels vaguely familiar. Perhaps too familiar. My well-loved prince NXGraphite 85 came to mind after a few seconds. To be honest, this isn't a bad thing at all. Like my NXG, the nCODE 90 has a medium flex shaft, shares the same balance point and is about the same weight.

Clears are great but the racket does feel a bit sluggish on quick net exchanges, as compared to ligher rackets. Net players, take note. I'm not sure if it's because of the thicker grip, but we'll find out after a few more hours of playing time.

Game time impressions:

Strung with BG65ti at 22lbs (red, as a wonderful contrast to the pristine white-silver motif) the racket plays predictably. Clears are consistent, drives are okay, drops are great and smashes feel nice.

One aspect of the racket I took for granted was the fact that it really minimizes harsh vibrations. In fact, this racket is probably the friendliest to our joints, compared to the other rackets i've reviewed here. Could this be the nano-carbon technology they're hyping about? I hope so.

I almost forgot: this racket gives me a lot of confidence when I smash. I'm not a natural back player, but for some reason, I tend to be more confident playing back when I'm using the nCODE. My smashes fly steeper and less vibrations help me give a little more oomph. This racket is also great for dropshots. Add a nice thin-guage string to this, and have it strung at a higher tension, say 24lbs, and drop shots will be amazing. In fact, I'll write a part 2 for this racket, describing it at 26lbs with a nice Gosen pro66 string.

My verdict:

This racket is way too expensive for Php6500, simply because you can get TH yonex high-end rackets for the same amount. Plain and simple.

BUT

If you've got a little cash to spare, and you know that you don't play well with stiff and extra-stiff rackets, AND that you are willing to spend a little more for a joint-friendly racket, then this is the racket for you. Sure Php6500 is a lot of money, but I'll bet in the long run, the enjoyment to be had with this racket will more than compensate for the initial financial burden you'll encounter.

GET IT: if you're an improving intermediate player looking for a racket that is very predictable to handle, and won't hurt your joints. Oh yeah, my girlfriend and my sister tells me that the racket is HOT... bonus pogi (handsome) points.

DON'T GET IT: if you're used to extra stiff rackets, and/or are used to insanely high string tensions.