Wilson Recon BLX

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ColdSun, Aug 19, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Footwork_816

Footwork_816 Regular Member

I just bought one two weeks ago so i can give you my opinion on it. I used a wilson klite before and liked it but i wanted a recon for 1 the power its supposed to provide and 2 the perfect feel

It feels really great and if this is how all the BLX series feel then i might sell my klite and buy a zonar later which seems to have the same stats as the klite (balance point, weight, etc.) but its part of the BLX series.

I actually do feel alot more power with my Recon BlX with all my overhead shots. I thought my defense was going to suffer because its heavier than my klite but my defense seems just as good and lifting is still easy. I also thought my control was going to go down but its better :D. Only thing i've noticed thats gone down is my flick serve but im not too worried about. Just need more practice i guess

I've heard people on hear say that it takes alot of stamina to use. IMO it does take more stamina than my klite did but not a whole lot more. I think you should be good buying it, i really like it.

btw wat is the pre-factory string tension? i was going to restring it to 24 lbs but it already feels like 23 or 24 lbs

2. hitabird

hitabird Regular Member

I'm in Saigon of Vietnam and have never tried a Recon. There's only authorised shop in town but they only have: Blade, Zen (?), Sword (?). So now I'm coming up to the final decision choosing : BLX Blade, or K Blaze ...please help me out of this.

My premier selection range is: Speed then Manuever then Power. ANd what the Wilson describe the BLX Blade is: High flex and Solid feel, this has been confusing me much.

Thank you for all !!!

3. Footwork_816

Now that i've had more time with my recon i would like to change some of the opinions i had on it

For one my defense has gone down with my recon which i noticed when i picked my klite back up and was blocking netkills with it. flick serve is still hard to do with my recon :(. btw when i say flick serve i mean a flick serve for singles, not for doubles.

I'm starting to wonder if this racket is like an advanced racket because my smashes are inconsistent with it. sometimes i hit really strong and powerful smashes and other times its average...must still be getting used to the timing with it i guess

4. fmqpt791004

fmqpt791004 Regular Member

College Student
    A decent racket and I am looking forward to buy extra

It has a great feeling in impact to shuttle. I will tell what I like and what I don't like abt this racket.

This racket is 2.5u (87g-91g), lil heavy. The balance is on 280mm. It feels evenly balanced.

I like the feeling most when the racket head hit a shuttle. The racket head at the top has thicker gromets (rubber tubes) and has a enhanced thicker frame at the bottom. The racket feels very solid. It does not twist much, almost none. The vibration does not stay too long and not too sharp. The racket vibrates soft and short.

The vibration may be dampened by a thick shaft. It has abt 9mm thick shaft.

It has a compact head shape with 76 holes. The total vertical length racket seems 5mm longer than any other racket.(I did not measure.) It is easy to swing overhead with power. It has a frame what yonex says conventional frame. It looks aerodynamic but it drags some air specially in defense (I tried BS12. I noticed hack of the air resisantce of Recon.)

I agree it is a single racket, because it owes air resistence and the flexibility slows down the reflection.

I prefer medium flex racket, but this one is lil more flexible than other medium flex racket. It is easier to decive the opponent at the net area. It eases net kill motion or front court push.

I dislike the thin handle. My hand is not that big and I am a short guy. However, It feels lighter, and I can tighten the grip more stronger when it is lil thicker.

Can anyone recommand me a med flex racket that is lil stiffer than recon? I like head metalix 4000 stiffness, but I did not like the impact feeling of the racket.

5. Footwork_816

There aren't really any wilson rackets that are stiff...most of them are flexible or medium flexible :(. You could just wrap grips around the handle to get the desired thickness.

Recons a good racket but I'm going to try out the Wilson Wave. I really like my Klite and the Wave seems to be the BLX version of the Klite. For some reason I don't believe my smash power has increased with the Recon than the Klite. The recon is a little bit more head heavy but other than that its just 10 grams heavier. I don't think it would increase the power of my smash logically.

If Force= Mass x Acceleration then i think me smashing with the klite would produce a bigger smash because i can swing a lot faster with it and even though the recon is heavier the loss of acceleration is too much for increased weight to compensate for that. I'm just thinking about it because I know I can smash faster with my Klite...

6. fmqpt791004

College Student
    I am not sure abt power

power is not all abt mass times acceleration. Heavier the racket is more stable.
    Enough heaviness needed to accelerate in shorter time. It may differ by ppl.

Generally, I think 10gram difference in mass does not change much acceleration.
    I believe it only changes the air resistance. The air resistence is dependant more on the shape of the racket head. Yes, maybe if I need swing a long distance, it may change some force. In badminton, you don't want to swing like a golf or tennis.
    However, 10 grams difference will change force, because force depends on mass and acceleration.

Speed of smash should consider abt contact time shuttlecock, spring constant of string, mass of the racket, the speed of swing, and the air resistance.

I think that's why many good smashing pro players use head heavy racket, because it has more mass on the head.

Most effective and easiest way to increase the power , I believe, is to find a right grip and right shoes for you. Maximum and most efficient friction on the floor and on the grip will change the force so much.

In my opinion, heavier the racket you can generate more power, but at the same time, your body should be able to handle the same amount of force.

7. Footwork_816

Ehhh I would have to disagree and say 10 grams does make quite a difference in acceleration, or for me it does. I would say the air resistance of the recon and and the klite would be about the same since their frames are so similar. Actually if you were swinging a longer distance I would say acceleration wouldn't be as big of a difference between 10 grams because you have more time to reach a desired acceleration whereas in badminton you have to be able to quickly accelerate and react.

Well both my recon and klite are BG65 strung at 24 lbs and I'm sure I've hit the sweet spot at least once out of the many times I've smashed, I already said both are about equally air resistant so the only difference is the swing speed (acceleration) and mass. imo when multiplied i believe the klite produces greater force.

Well i think head heavy rackets work because their is more mass on contact and the swing speed still remains pretty fast. The recon weighs 91 grams or more while other head heavy rackets that pros use are like 84 grams. I don't know if a few grams like these sound like a big difference but I think they do...

8. fmqpt791004

College Student
    a pro-player currently uses Recon BLX. Sho Sasaki
    you should use what is comfortable with you. In badminton, timing is very important.
    It is very hard to change contact/swing timing bc it is comflexed with yr swing habit and ability to generate and absorb the certain force.

It is tough decision making to find the right specification of a racket that works for your swing and arm.

9. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

footwork. what is the weight and balance of your klite?

klite + victor vs850 @23 lbs + rkep overgrip.
    = 90g, 298mm

10. Footwork_816

...footwork is not of concern here. 1. I can get behind the bird just fine. Footwork isn't something I don't pay attention to. In fact its the one thing I pay the most attention to hence my username. 2. I'm saying if i smashed standing still or moving i feel like i can produce more power with the klite.

"It is very hard to change contact/swing timing bc it is comflexed with yr swing habit and ability to generate and absorb the certain force."

Oh I didn't know it was hard to change swing and contact timing. I thought by using a a certain racket weight enough you would get used to it but I guess there are some weights that you will always be better with. In that case I'm going back to light, fairly even balanced rackets. good thing I ordered the wilson wave lol

11. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

of course it affects the way you play.

I personally prefer wet weight of <95g and the balance point to be less than 295mm.

Another thing to consider is the flex of the shaft, because that can mess up your usual timing.

From looking at the spec, the wilson wave seems like a good replacment. Hope you like your new racket. :)

12. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

btw, how much is the blx wave in the US?

13. Footwork_816

14. fmqpt791004

College Student
    easy to smash down due to the flexbility and low balance point
    I become liking a thin grip. so I can overwrap with a combination of my fav grips.
    head overgrip(very durable but no sweat absorbtion)+towel grip(sweat absortion but lil heavy and slippery)+karakal air point over grip(light and tacky) (not over wrap/sequence from the bottom to the top)
    I like single hole compact head string pattern. It slightly lifts the sweet spot.

but most of all, I personally like the feel when I hit a shuttle with this. enough flexible with no torque.
    no sharp vibration!
    strung with yonex bg 70 pro@ 25lbs * 27lbs

I wish the shaft is thinner and the head frame is more solid. The impact is not crisp as victor BS12.

15. fmqpt791004

College Student
    easy to smash down due to the flexbility and low balance point<br>I become liking a thin grip. so I can overwrap with a combination of my fav grips.<br>head overgrip(very durable but no sweat absorbtion)+towel grip(sweat absortion but lil heavy)+karakal air point over grip(light and tacky) (not over wrap/sequence from the bottom to the top)<br>I like single hole compact head string pattern. It slightly lifts the sweet spot.<br><br>but most of all, I personally like the feel when I hit a shuttle with this. enough flexible with no torque.<br>no sharp vibration!<br>strung with yonex bg 70 pro@ 25lbs * 27lbs<br><br>I wish the shaft is thinner and the head frame is more solid. The impact is not crisp as victor BS12.

16. fmqpt791004

College Student
    Now I use this racket with Yonex BG 80 Power. I feel like I found another charming point with this racket.

Good Control + Easy Power + Easy Defense

17. Lawrencegkh

Lawrencegkh New Member

Student
    Racket

Your wilson recon blx sold out already?I want buy with u...

18. allyjack110

allyjack110 Regular Member

University Graduate (History)
    My new toys. They arrived this afternoon. I won't play with them until I get them restrung though. Max tension is 30lbs. I doubt I will ever go that high.

2014-10-13 16.13.55.jpg

2014-10-13 16.13.21.jpg