YONEX ASTROX 88S & 88D (2018)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by T.O.P, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Ashtontonic

Ashtontonic New Member

Thanks bud, ur info is really useful,88d 3ug5 on his way

lordcore likes this.
  2. Peng88s

Peng88s Regular Member

Does AX88S frame as solid as AX88D?

3. llrr

llrr Regular Member

No

4. lordcore

lordcore Regular Member

I'm glad to hear it. Enjoy your new weapon mate. ;)

Ashtontonic likes this.
  5. naveent22

naveent22 New Member

Hi everyone, Been using arcsaber 7 3ug4 since a few months like it very much, looking for a good replacement thinking of astrox 88s in 4u is it comparable..or should I go with the arcsaber 11..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

6. Junye

Junye Regular Member

Evening Badminton Player.
    Same series. They have the same material. how can one be less solid? One has less head weight. One has more.

Head weight does not equates to more 'solid' I hope.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

7. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Having played with both, for me the 88D definitely feels more solid, and by that I mean it feels more stable. It's stiffer, and the head feels harder.

8. Junye

Junye Regular Member

Evening Badminton Player.
    Okay....

my interpretation of a solid racket is that the racket is well constructed ,stable and free from vibrations when you hit the shuttle.
    Most made in japan yonex rackets got that solid feel core.. soooo for example.... Bravesword series.. not solid..... old jetspeed 10... not that solid... New watermelon Jetspeed10Q solid.

your interpretation seems to be which racket is more 'hard feeling'. Then again.... we do not know what @Peng88s might be asking for.

Anyway.... it has been roughly about 3 months since i bought and strung my 3U 88S and 88D. I am sure all the 'the-new-rackets-initially-everything-is-good' hype has worn away by now. (my buddy always remind me whenever i get a new racket)

here's my honest experience.

Astrox 88S
    88S maneuverability is great and you get lots of control on it. I loved the fact that i can do consistent shot placements with ease with 88S. I do feel it is a good replacement for Arcsaber 11. It is somehow like Arcsaber 11 in the astrox series. I never liked Arcsaber 11 though because the lack of head weight. Even though it is not as 'sticky' as Arcsaber 11 nor as nimble, it compensates by giving the user additional headweight (smash). I like how the weight is distributed in the racket.

Smashing is pretty decent. If your world only has smashing in it... ermm it might not be the racket for you. It needs good placement and planning at the rear to subdue your opponent. Well it is badminton after all.

It is a very interesting racket. I do need to stress it is optimal with fresh shuttlecocks. (like all rackets)

Astrox 88D
    88D feels very home to most head heavy voltric users except the shaft is not particularly super stiff when smashing. (which is probably an advantage for doubles players). My 3U 88D does not smash harder than my 4U ZF2 but there is more time to perform decent continuous smashing in my doubles games. For those who are struggling with the 3U 88D, either go with 4U (easy way out) or train up those deltoid muscles... work out... you get the idea.

I am still learning to get consistency and accuracy from 88D like 88S. On a day when my physical/mental form is poor, 88D do not get much showtime. (I will always seek comfort with n9ii when my form is in the dumps)

Smashing is satisfying when you whip that shuttlecock... the astrox series smashes always have that cracking whipping sound.

No...I do not jump smash because my core muscles are weak. I jump a little but it aren't a jump smash. I am proud to say i play more like women doubles, after all i am only a leisure badminton player. Only athletes with great core muscles allows you to jump smash and hang like Michael Jordan.

Just to sidetrack a bit, i always see silly dudes doing their jump smash. They do not turn their body to make full use of the full body muscles (legs, back, hips) and constantly do the frog jump smashes. Alas! What for? Those weak smashes only results in them or their partner scrambling for the shuttles (like dogs playing fetch) when i return the smashes easily. Always learn to walk before you think of flying.

Like all racket reviewers...
    I conclude i am glad i am getting steeper shot placement with the Astrox 88 series. Both S and D rackets are excellent products.
    The property of namd material is indeed interesting. Go get yours now at your local stores.

Dear Yonex, please contact me for sponsorship.

boby, Sundis, visor and 4 others like this.
  9. SomePlayer

SomePlayer New Member

Can someone compare js11 3U with 4u 88d?

10. weingseen

weingseen Regular Member

A little question here, anyone happened to have a measurement of a ax88s 3U head weight and a dzs head weight?

Today I managed to try a 88s 3u with an overgrip, similar to my setup except for string (26lbs um vs mine 27lbs bg80) and to my surprise I can actually felt the head a tad heavier compared to my dzs.

That being said, it doesn't gave the 'slow' impression even though it was a tad heavier.
    And I found the shot quite 'powerful' and clean and it have a feeling I can't express as a DZS 3U user.

Powerous likes this.
  11. llrr

llrr Regular Member

No measurement but I can confirm that DZS is borderline an even balance racquet. The 88S is also very fast, and you found it more powerful because it's more flexible. The DZS being extra stiff and even balanced, is very unfriendly for power generation.

weingseen likes this.
  12. weingseen

weingseen Regular Member

Ah I see. So that's the feeling, stiff and flexible.

Yes as a dzs user, I agreed with u on unfriendly and power generation part. On good day, every shot is perfectly executed while on bad day, u either hit frame or u don't hit far enough.

Im trying to get a racket that don't compromise the power I get from dzs while being friendly user and I have been eyeing this 88S ever since.

I think considering BP wise that it's heavier than a dzs referring to ur post at ax99 and from my luck who managed to test 1 on court, this could be a safe transition.

I wanted to quote u on ax99 court but seems inappropriate so I just posted here :D

13. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Well, the 88S is definitely the one to go for then!

14. Casperwinde

Casperwinde Regular Member

Student
    Just bought a 3U 88s.. and what a racket this is! Fast enough yet provide adequate power . The new namd shaft really is so diff v previous rackets. Coming from js10 3u

15. giggle

giggle Regular Member

enjoy it! :)

16. Dhandapani

Dhandapani Regular Member

Which is one is best Astrox 88 or 99 or Duora Z strike

17. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    All?

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

Leo tan, llrr and offbad like this.
  18. coolguy82

coolguy82 Regular Member

Been wondering what is considered the top of the line?

19. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    As in a high end racket? Or?

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

20. coolguy82

coolguy82 Regular Member

Yah.. as99, vostrox or zf2 or duora. I am still very confused on these different lines since some are very similar when seen on the chart.