YONEX ASTROX 88S & 88D (2018)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by T.O.P, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Cloudx

Cloudx Regular Member

I just receive my brand spanking new 4U 88D yesterday and manage to use it for a few games that night. I own N9ii as well, I could give some inputs between the 2.

The most suitable words to describe 88D is it's a damn fast racquet that packs a punch. It's so fast that my first few hits with the racquet results in mishits to its frame

But once you get used to it a bit, u can see how it shine. Clears to baseline is quite easy for such a light racquet, its able to produce good smashes as well.

However after a few game i change bk to my N9ii coz my partner is nagging me due to too many lost points frm mistake. I guess a few more practice then i can get used to 88D.

Overall 88D give me a feel like my broken BS12 4U, very fast & sharp racquet although it doesn't have the same head design as BS. Both 88D & 9ii are awesome racquets but i feel 88D excel in being very fast n 9ii suits more for those hard hitters.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Hans van Egteren likes this.
  2. laistrogian

laistrogian Regular Member

Student
    Anyone who has tried / own 88S, Arcsaber 11 and duora 10 in 3U?

Currently contemplating to get either one of them.

3. Cameron01

Cameron01 Regular Member

Yeah I've got a 3U Duora 10, do you have any questions about it?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

4. laistrogian

Student
    How's the racket? Especially compared to the other models that I've listed.

I like even balanced racket, but my N9's shaft feels a tad too flexible for front court and I'm one of those types who likes to use one racket for absolutely everything

5. laistrogian

Student
    The struggle to pick between 88s 3U and 88D 4U is real

I used my N9 today and cant feel the position of the head resulting in a lot of mishit. Also feels like the fast head means i cant put my power into the racket

6. Kokai

Kokai Regular Member

Anyone have a 3U AX77 to compare how it is to a 3U 88D? I believe I've seen one comment about how a user disliked his AX77 but enjoyed his 88D more so, wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.

I find the 77 kind of hard to mesh with, maybe my swing doesn't suit the more flexible shaft. I have experience using a flexible shaft but only with a BS12 and experience using a stiffer shaft in a ZF2/NS9900. Both I enjoyed, but no longer own.

7. Lin Juls

Lin Juls Regular Member

IT Professional
    Hi Guys,

I'm planning to have my new racket, but stuck between, 4U AX99, 3U AX88D, and 4U AX88D.

I came from wide range of rackets over the years, MX80 > BSLYD-N > VTZF2 4U > JS10 4U > VTLDF > DZS, among these rackets, VTZF2 4U suits me well, although LDF was the best racket i held it kinda bit lack a punch. I tried to opt to DZS, took me some time to get used to it, although it's like a somewhat combination of JS10 & ZF2 4U, there were times that i really miss my VTZF2 (Broken). So i went to a nearby Yonex shop, and tried to dry swing the 3 Yonex rackets mentioned above which one do you think is nearby VTZF2 4U? In terms of power, speed, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Probably 4U 99. I think Momota switched to this from 4U ZF2.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Lin Juls likes this.
  9. victor_Rukawa

victor_Rukawa Regular Member

use astrox 88d 4U

Lin Juls likes this.
  10. Lin Juls

Lin Juls Regular Member

IT Professional
    Yeah, took me a while to choose between 88D and 99. Haha

Attached Files:

11. Hans van Egteren

Hans van Egteren Regular Member

Welcome to the club.
    Enjoy your new racket!

Lin Juls likes this.
  12. Konquerian

Konquerian Regular Member

Excellent choice ! The 88d is definitely a wonderful racquet for those who can harness its potential power .

Saru, victor_Rukawa and Lin Juls like this.
  13. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

And as green as the increDible hulk Oh, nevermind

Sent from my JSN-L22 using Tapatalk

14. Konquerian

Konquerian Regular Member

In that case, the superstringer machine is definitely for you . It's green as incredible hulk !

15. Lin Juls

Lin Juls Regular Member

IT Professional
    Oof. I was able to test this racket for 2 hours, but i must say it's quite fast, and this RGS works like a charm, i was having some flat exchanges during the game, i thought there will be some delays for me, man this racket flips back with my hand. Although my timings were a bit off due to sudden switch from DZS to AS88D, especially the backhand part, well, i got used to DZS backhand side which by the way was good. Clears, smash, drives were effortless. I noticed that this really does resembled VTZF2, but with a twist of RGS. haha

Saru and Hans van Egteren like this.
  16. visothpong

visothpong New Member

I'm using a Duora 10 right now and I'm willing to get a new racket should i get a AX88D 4U or 3U or any suggestion, I'm kind of a back court player I like power shot

17. Lin Juls

Lin Juls Regular Member

IT Professional
    I came from Duora series also (Z-Strike), although it's a stiffer/head heavier compare to D10. I might suggest, 88D 4U or 88S 3U. For me, transition to these rackets will only take short amount of time. (Depending on your technique)

18. Kingsley90

Kingsley90 Regular Member

Do you agree that shifting from a DZS to the Astrox88 is a kind of upgrade ? Or will you be sticking to duora series instead of choosing head heavy racket like astrox family ?

19. Lin Juls

Lin Juls Regular Member

IT Professional
    I'm thinking of it as an upgrade, ever since i'm into Yonex' power range. DZS for me is like VTZF2 with less power and faster. This racket (DZS) changed my whole stroke, from whole swing smash to stick smash (wrist), i'm trying to change it but power is there whenever i use my wrist, then after a year, i started thinking to get back to VTZF2 or go get an AS88D. Even though DZS has this speed, accuracy and defense (i can easily execute backhand smash and drives with it). I tested both rackets, as i've mentioned before, AS88D is like VTZF2 with the twist of RGS. Lol

DZS 3UG4 (Sanded it down to resemble G5 ;) vs. AS88D 4UG5

Power : AS88D 4.5/5
    DZS 3.5/5

Speed : AS88D 3.5/5
    DZS 4/5

Defense : I'll give a slight edge on DZS, since i can easily return smash with drives while using it, and i can somewhat control where i'll put the shuttle after returning a smash. AS88D can do that also but DZS excels in it.

*This is based on my experience and technique. So it may vary from player to player. I hope this helps.

20. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Tried both at the weekend.

When I timed it right the D probably did have a touch more oomph but the biggest difference for me was how much faster the S was.