YONEX ASTROX 99 (AX-99)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by konww002, Jul 2, 2018.

1. frostcone

frostcone Regular Member

Just got the AX99 4u jp version. I'm surprised it has slightly less head weight than my AX88D 4u jp... was hoping it would be head heavier, oh well. Maybe it will have more power with full NAMD and the same speed?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Astrox88SS likes this.
  2. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

I tested an AX99 4U today. I normally use a AX88D 3U.

I was amazed how much easier it was in hands. I almost regret not getting one!

3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Not a big difference, should be very comparable :)

3U vs 4U will do that for you :D

4. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

But because I read a few reviews on this forum saying that the 4U AX99 is as heavy as the 3U AX88D.

However it is not the case, it felt considerably lighter and more flexible! I'd kill it with this racket.
    I still love my AX88Ds though but yeah.

5. jctai

jctai Regular Member

Someone from China made a small sample swing weight and balance point comparison among AX99 that was produced in June and after July. What they found is that Yonex had reduced the head weight of AX99 due to the high amount of complaints about the ridiculous head weight from first batch of AX99 produced in June. I do not recall the exact difference in swing weight but the number is rather high (~5-7g).
    So I wouldn't be surprised if ppl find their new AX99 to be not as difficult to use as the older ones.

sixfootpixie, Saru, ant01 and 2 others like this.
  6. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

For both weights?

Sent from my JSN-L22 using Tapatalk

7. huynhvinhthang

huynhvinhthang Regular Member

This makes sense! I came to the shop the other day and was checking out many racket and when I compared the balance point of other rackets to Ax99, I was so surprised because the balance point is clearly lowered than the Ax99 that I have. Approximately, I think they shifted the balance point from 315 down to about 307mm or even 305mm....essential you are buying an 88D.

8. jctai

jctai Regular Member

This is the comparison chart I saw. The yellow column shows the swing weight and the far right column shows the production month.
    Do note that I don't remember whether did the author claimed all the rackets were measured on the same machine.
    AX99_swingweight_variant.png

9. huynhvinhthang

I have seen people measured early ax99 4u to have swing weight of 90. This data seems legit.

10. jctai

jctai Regular Member

If you look at it strictly from the point of view of balance point, then yes, you're essentially buying an AX88D. But keep in mind that AX99 does have NAMD (IF you believe it) as head frame material. From my experience, AX99 produce a softer feeling on drop, net, clear shot while a harder feeling when I smash or punch clear. AX88D for me just feels hard for all the shots. So for me, there's a difference no matter it's placebo or actual difference.

11. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Sad. AX99 got a hard Nerf. Now listen YY and give us bloody 3U NF700s.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

12. jctai

jctai Regular Member

I would like to see them do that even though I am feeling good with my 4U NF700, just so that I could compare them :D

13. Parth Nayak

Parth Nayak Regular Member

Yelp , someone wants to sell me their early production AX99 ? :D

14. visor

visor Regular Member

Softer feeling as in feeling number? Yikes, don't like that.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

15. jctai

jctai Regular Member

When I said softer, I meant to say more holding power, something like Arcsabers. Because numb to me means I can't feel the feedback when the shuttle made contact with my racket's stringbed.

16. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

Could it possibly be bec of the string and tension used?

Sent from my JSN-L22 using Tapatalk

17. Yonex3212

Yonex3212 Regular Member

I have 4UG5 Astrox 99 and 4UG5 Astrox 88D. Now I know some people complain about QC, but honestly though I can kind of relate Astrox 99 with Z Force II, but its much user friendly and much easier to get control. Now on the comparison between 88D and 99, I have both strung at 26 LBS. When I started with clears, 88D feels like a hollow tube, that offers a lot of power, 99 here feels like a Duora 10 but with a tiny less effort. Onto smashes, it definitely goes to Astrox 99. Even my drives are steep. Astrox 88D gives you the feeling of a combination of Duora Z Strike and Victor Hypernano X800. For drives, both are perfect but I lean towards 99. For dropshots or trickshots, 88D is much better, which leads to control. If you are into more control then power, go for 88D. Now some people hate the 99 because of QC while others hate it because they are doubles player. If you play more doubles I recommend 88D, if you are into more singles, Astrox 99 over anything. This is just my opinion and you dont have to agree but I hope it helps someone.

18. huynhvinhthang

Now try 88D 3u vs 99 3u&4u. 88D 3u trumps over 99 4u in both control and power. And for most players... 88D 3u also trumps over 99 3u due to much faster head speed. Look at Axelsen.... he hit 416 km/h against Momota using z-strike. This racket is even less head heavy than 88D. Clearly, u don't need a very head heavy racket to hit a super powerful smash because it factor in both racket head speed and the head inertia (swing weight).

I own 88D 3u, 99 4u and 3u. I hit much better smash with 99 4u than I do with the 3u.

Anyways, the original Astrox 99 is no longer in production, Yonex now rebrand full namd 88D as 99. Luckily, I have both 3u and 4u original 99. The 4u is a gem because u can't find a relatively fast racket with this high balance point (315-320 mm) with any brand.

19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

The Arcsaber Flashboost and Victor Lightfighters beg to differ (can't remember the LN model off the top of my head)
    BP without further information is useless. A fairly HH 4U will for all intents and purposes be as heavy/fast/whatever you want to call it as a balanced/slightly HH 3U racket.
    Pls don't continue to spread this misinformation.

Yonex3212 likes this.
  20. Vivek Bagadhi

Vivek Bagadhi Regular Member

Doctor
    Maybe the original AX99 might be back as the AX99LCW

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk