Yonex Mavis 300 or 350?

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by eddiemon, Jun 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    A great tennis player doesn't say i'm the best because he is only best in hard surface. Tennis is played and compete in clay, hard and grass surfaces. Why in badminotn only feather shuttle skill is acknowledged?It is just one medium.

In poker, most non-pros think the best texas hold 'em players are the top poker players but there are several kind of pokers played in the world. Texas hold'em is actually simplier to play than the other poker games and yet it's the most popular of them all. It's like saying nylon shuttle badminton is most simple and most popular, in poker equivalent:p
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    It's Nguyen, baby! Scotty Nguyen wins nearly $2 million at World Series of Poker
    By OSKAR GARCIA , Associated Press

June 30, 2008

LAS VEGAS - Poker professional Scotty Nguyen won nearly $2 million at the World Series of Poker in Las Vegas on Monday, topping a field of 148 players and emerging from a marathon final table with his fifth gold bracelet.

Nguyen beat out 23-year-old Michael DeMichele in H.O.R.S.E., a rotating-game tournament that cost $50,000 to enter.

The various games and limited betting structure reward all around play and is said to truly reward the best players over the long haul. Along with the main event, many players consider H.O.R.S.E. the most important tournament in the World Series of Poker.

"Scotty Nguyen's gonna be triple crown, baby!" Nguyen said after posing at the made-for-TV final table with thick stacks of $100 bills and his newly won bracelet. "That's my dream."

The 45-year-old Nguyen, who won $1 million at the series' main event in 1998, said he hoped to also win the main event this year and the series' player of the year award to complete his dream run.

Nguyen won the final hand Monday at limit Hold 'em, pushing DeMichele all in with an ace and a 10. DeMichele, far behind in chips, called with an ace and a three, and Nguyen's 10 gave him the win when both players paired their aces. DeMichele won $1.24 million for his second place finish.

"I guess I'll have to live with being that guy," said DeMichele of Poughkeepsie, N.Y.

Nguyen said it felt good to break through and win his first gold bracelet since 2001.

"I'm gonna make Phil Hellmuth squirm," he said, referring to the World Series of Poker record holder with 11 bracelets.

H.O.R.S.E., which stands for five games of poker played in rotation — Hold 'em, Omaha, Razz, Stud and Eight or Better — tests the all-around player more than the No Limit Hold 'em game, which was born in Texas and has become the most popular poker game worldwide.

The event was also played with betting limits, meaning dramatic "all-ins" were eliminated in favor of skills demonstrated over longer sessions of play.

Nguyen started the final table Sunday with the second-highest chip stack among a tough field that included DeMichele and poker professionals Erick Lindgren, Barry Greenstein and Huck Seed.

Lindgren, DeMichele and Nguyen were mired in a three-way battle for most of the wee hours, with Matt Glantz busting out in fourth place shortly before 11 p.m. Sunday.

Lindgren wasn't eliminated until 4:30 a.m. Monday, when his pair of eights lost to Nguyen's pair of nines.

"What are you going to do," Lindgren said after finishing third and winning $781,440.

DeMichele was out about a half-hour later, unable to overcome Nguyen's overpowering chip stack.

"After E-dog's gone, everything's just like a walk through the park," Nguyen said. "Nobody's going to stop me. This is what I want, baby."

#41 cooler, Jul 2, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Cooler, almost agree with everything you said. It is the player who win the game, not the equipment. (Same as for men in bed). I told the evil emperor that make more shuttles and keep the SELECTION and price down and the people will come and badminton will be popular in US. However, I still have my 10 tubes of AS15 back ordered after 1 month.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

evil empire IS keeping its selection down, they're not filling your AS15 order:p:p:p

I want AS20 speed 0:crying:
    how many doz is considered enough for the evil empire to take notice:confused::D 50, 100, 200??

4. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

a slow boat from china load...

5. Dawnmoon

Dawnmoon Regular Member

Choose the best, Mavis 370 or Mavis 500 (I get Mavis 500 in Hong Kong)

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i find the 500 feel heavy.
    350 almost the same as 370, IMO

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

why aren't the shuttles slow kind too:confused::D

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i've added 5 more for completeness:p

#48 cooler, Jul 2, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  9. MSN04

MSN04 Regular Member

Engineer
    you are crazy... but yeah, I agree with what you said. :p

10. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    how many tubes per box?
    even at 200 tubes(a dozen), i dont think that the evil emperor is eager to entertain. make it 200 boxes, they will start blinking eyes...;)

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

usually 50 tubes/box.

12. Sasho

Sasho Regular Member

Yes, nylon shuttle is improvement over feather one -- this is the future :D
    I stay in tha past (may be even restring the wooden racket I found recently)...

13. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    And you use these arguments to tell us why you play with plastics? Perhaps you can now try to switch to feathers completely, although it might be too late to catch up with what you have missed in your formative years.

14. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    No, Master Cooler should move to Vancouver ;) so that he doesn't have to snoop around for 74 grains birds :D:D:D. 75 grains will do with slight tipping ;).

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

75? getting 76 (true 76) is hard enough:D

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

It seem that u had forgotten what i have said in the past years about feather versus nylon. I don't want to repeat them again.

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

there are good and bad points of each.

btw, dont forget to string it with real cat gut at 27 lbs:p
    (this well make bf's cats cringe:p)
    Super Grap would look lousy on that wooden racke as well:p

18. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Cooler, you can get 74, 75, 76, 77, or even higher feather shuttles from China. I am sure some online stores in China can help you. Or you can ask your local store to order from you. You can order good duck feathers or low grade goose feathers or even the best goose feathers. Prices may be a bit higher because of the very small qty of 74/75 shuttles produced, which are produced usually on a specific order.
    If all else fails, I can ship you but the min. lot is one box of 50 tubes and multiples must also come in a box of 50.
    Your best bet is to get your club or a group of your playing buddies to do this.

19. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I was talking about plastics TODAY compared to feather-shuttles TODAY.. in the future there may well be development effort to produce artificial shuttles as good (or even better) than what nature can produce..

But this is speculation about what may or may not come in the future.

Current shuttles with molded cheap plastics fly like a pile of sh.. and have to flat trajectory and the shirt is not rigid enough for fast smashes (the shuttle folds) and no real development of these shuttles seems to take place (Mavis has been around so long I remember, and was bad then, and is bad now)..

Show me a plastic which does not fold in the air and has similar or better flight prop

If you look at how much material advances has been made on rackets compared to ZIP, zerr, none advances on the plastic shuttles. It is obvious that the plastics sold today are a sad excuse for a shuttle for anyone who have the option to use feather-shuttles.

Also all these racket advances, you mention, have been done with testing using feather-shuttles, no professional testing is done using Mavis 300 or 350 crap..

/Twobeer

20. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer

Quite far from the question of the thread :)

And personally I preffer badminton over both Poker (90% luch 10% skill type of game) and Tennis, so I am happy with just Singles, Mixed, doubles.. I don't need variations like badminton played with squash-rackets, speedminton etc. I am happy with the game we have, and that I love to play!

/Twobeer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.