Yonex Strings And What Tensions Suit Them Best

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Kento, Dec 22, 2018.

?

What Yonex string do you use and why?

Poll closed Dec 22, 2019.
  1. Durability

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Smash noise

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Rebound intensity

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  4. Greater shuttle control

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Kento

Kento Regular Member

I seriously cannot understand why nobody has paid attention to this most important aspect of playing badminton for eighteen years!

It does not matter how expensive the racquet is nor does it matter what company made it because without the correct string and tension to suit one's game, it is utterly useless.

I have started on a quest to buy the best quality racquets that one can find at the affordable end of the spectrum and then team them up with a variety of Yonex strings at differing tensions.

In this way, I hope to be able to work out what combination of racquet/string/tension suits my style of play the most and in so doing, maybe also give a few pointers to others who have a similar style of play to myself.

To start this thread off, I am going to let you know what has worked well for me so far.

I have 3 Yonex Voltric 0.1DG 4UG4 racquets.
    I have 1 Yonex Voltric 7 DG 3UG4 racquet which is an all-round Voltric for a mix of singles and doubles suitable for club players through to competitive players with the option of higher tensions if you want improved control.

The DG stands for Durable Grade.
    Because high tension requires a specific type of frame design to cope with the high forces applied to the head. Durable Grade uses a thicker frame with more inner-frame supports to create a strengthened head that can take these tensions. High Tension increases shuttle control and reduces power.

My 1st Yonex Voltric 0.1DG is as I bought it from the store and has Yonex BG3 (white) string with a 70mm
    thickness. I believe the tension is set at factory settings of 18-20lbs.

My 2nd Yonex Voltric 0.1DG has been re-strung using Yonex Aerobite which is a hybrid string and I have opted for the green-and-white colour combination with the main being 67mm and the cross string being at 61mm (Aerosonic). I asked for it to be strung at 29lbs but was cheated and it is actually at 22.5lb.

My 3rd Yonex 0.1DG was customised according to my specifications prior to being shipped to me and it also has Yonex Aerobite string but I opted for the red-and-white string combination. I had it strung at 30lbs.

My Yonex Voltric 7DG has been customised with Yonex Aerobite green-and-white string and is set at 29lbs tension.

I have found that the 3rd Yonex 0.1DG racquet is the one that has suited me best so far.
    This is because, despite it being only 4U, its head-heavy design has meant that I have not lost any power when smashing the shuttlecock.
    The nature of Aerobite string is that it offers heavy spin and a solid touch and the tension of 30lbs has allowed me to have precise control, especially when playing disguised cut smashes and hairpins that just creep over the net.

I will keep you informed about what racquets I am buying and what particular string/tension combinations work for me on this thread.

2. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

Nobody? Really? Have you read this forum? People discuss strings like religion here.

Also, your posts are getting a little over the top with all the colours and stuff.

Now on topic: gosen gtone 5 for me, 0.65mm, lots of control and repulsion. 13kgx12.5kg, no more or they break too easily. I string myself but it's just too much to string mine every week.
    Used to swear by bg80 but that got very demanding and breaks so easily. Hybrid bg80/ln#1 was fun though! (Also breaking and punished on slight mishits). Gt5 is like the hybrid but slightly less spin and more forgiving.

Saru, offbad, ucantseeme and 2 others like this.
  3. Kento

Kento Regular Member

I have just bought the last Yonex Voltric 7 DG in the sports shop at £44.99! That is an insane 50% off the price it is selling elsewhere. This is the November 2017 model (see picture).

I have done my research and found that Yonex BG66 Force is a suitable competitor for the Aerobite in terms of both technical excellence and power.

For some insane reason, The Voltric 7 DG comes factory-strung with BG65! I mean, come on, I can barely feel the shuttlecock using this string.

To my astonishment, I found that at least two professionals have used or are using this string, namely, Ratchanok Intanon (Yonex Arc Saber 10) at 30 lbs and Saina Nehwal ( Yonex Nanoray 900 racquet).

I will be re-stringing the Voltric 7 DG with BG66 Force (Cyan) at 32lbs.

4. offbad

offbad Regular Member

student
    wrong: currently inthanon uses AX77 and nehwal uses AX99 with what looks to be aerobite.

how many knee pads do you go through a week on the yonex DG series, honestly?

Saru and swsh like this.
  5. Kento

Kento Regular Member

At last they have seen the light and come over to the 'Astrox side'. :)

Good to hear that Nehwal uses Aerobite as do I.
    What do mean about kneepads? o_O

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

#5 Kento, Jan 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019