YONEX SWISS OPEN 2022

Discussion in '2022 Tournaments' started by Baddyforall, Mar 22, 2022.

1. backhand_slice_drop

backhand_slice_drop Regular Member

I’ve given up hope. He has a world no.1 tag and a random WC medal. He achieved enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ojayz

ojayz Regular Member

Academic
    That’s a very observant work; thanks for clarifying it
    :)

3. ojayz

ojayz Regular Member

Academic
    Well he’s one of the best in terms of rally-type of game… he has an excellent fitness and stamina; but his attacking game is not yet the best… and the performance sometimes surprisingly not meet the expectations.

but as an Indonesian, we love him because he gave it all in thomas cup 2020,,, so hopefully he’ll perform his work of his life in Paris Olympic 2024 (if qualified)
    :)

GoodmintonLover likes this.
  4. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    I also enjoy JCs playing style, it was great to watch him play the Thomas cup and win in the SF and F.

5. wade

wade Regular Member

Pram/yere is nothing special, neither of them are good front court player imo.

6. ojayz

ojayz Regular Member

Academic
    That could be the case… also, my concern is more on the attacking and defensive part… it takes a lot of effort for them to get point by smashing to the MAS pair… and their defense must be improved because MAS pair only need 1,2 or 3 smash to get points.

hopefully next time pram/yere wil be better

7. Kingkat

Kingkat Regular Member

Goh/Izzudin is undoubtedly Malaysia's number 1 pair right now, you really can't argue it any other way after today's results. They could possibly win 2 titles in a month while Chia/Soh have not won even 1.

Genuine breath of fresh air how exciting this pair is right now. A combination of speed, solid defense, smart shot placements, and above all, an absolutely RELENTLESS, suffocating attack. The only things holding them down is their weird inability to short serve at times (lol).

Meanwhile, Soh Woo Yik has got to get his mind together. He is such a freeloader in that pair right now it's not even funny.

Gigabit likes this.
  8. Kingkat

Kingkat Regular Member

I agree. They look a very exciting young pair, but they were genuinely outmatched in the defensive and flat exchanges. At some point it seemed like any lift they did just led to a straight winner for MAS. They tried to counteract this by going all out attacking, but it led to them making more mistakes that ultimately cost them.

9. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

FINAL
    upload_2022-3-27_10-1-1.png

It's unusual order of play that local organizer arranges XD as last match instead of MD or MS frequently...

Scottish Gilmour made terrific comeback, trailing badly in second game 3-11, her fighting spirit was still on to level scoreline and automatically amplified pressure to her Thai opponent but Busanan played more patiently in last three points as Gilmour did unforced errors at crucial stages, 18-18. Strong contender Pusarla Sindhu passed her arduous test during this S300 tour as Supanida Katethong as predicted delivered a thriller for the Indian leading lady that contained pro-active action, quick reflect to intercept or smash down the line. Second successive SUI Open final, this time she should prevail against more familiar rival whom she has very positive head to head stats.

It's been long time never saw INA MS players standing on highest podium, 2018 Asian Games gold medalist Jonatan Christie possibly will break the deadlock today, AUS Open was the last individual title he won June 2019. Jojo beat former world number one Srikanth suffers usual accuracy problem, disadvantegous unforced errors, how many times that the Indian mishitted shuttlecock into the net or smash into out of line. Earlier semifinal saw gruelling battle that sapping energy much, Prannoy edges out higher-ranked Ginting who wasn't in good shape, his control at front court area was pretty good but lack of speed and heavy footwork, rather ran out of steam and asked medical treatment at late stage of decider.

Indonesia third-ranked combination and former champions Alfian/Ardianto will face challenging task to conclude this tournament on happy ending, the on-fire MAS pair Goh SF/Izzuddin who exhibiting progressive trend recently to nail GER Open title. INA pair subdued the declining Chia/Soh WY that displayed lousy and dispirited form in deciding game last night.

10. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

I just realise that Christie has a very strong backhand clear shots, but I wonder why he didn't make it become backhand smashes.

11. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Isabel Lohau is playing two matches, hence, this order of play is probably unavoidable. A bonus for the audience is that the last match of the day actually features Europeans.

ChildrenOfBadminton likes this.
  12. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Prannoy has a very good backhand in India better than any professional player in india. I wonder why Antony kept pushing shuttle to his backhand side to force him to use backhand. This tactic would have worked wonders against Srikanth but it wont do good against Prannoy. Prannoy is so good at this. But after yesterday's match, I could say that he has been working on his fitness in recent times. Because, he is not good at it before. He will beat any player in one day and will lose the next day.

13. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Prannoy is a very good player. Back in the days I could always trust Prannoy to beat Jorgensen, he never disappointed me:cool:

14. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

I still remember at one time Prannoy had 4-0 h2h against Jorgensen and the next time Jorgensen was about to play Prannoy in R32 of a tournament , he withdrew from the tournament. Lol. He never met Prannoy after that.

Sundis likes this.
  15. GoodmintonLover

GoodmintonLover Regular Member

On the contrary, I belive he is getting better. He was not even able to qualify for Olympics and was almost losing to a Finland player in Sudirman Cup but now he's gotten better. His techniques are so delicate and awesome. He has good variations. Just does many errors and lacks a bit in some other departments.

And the reason for his decline was injuries plaqued him. And after that, his confidence really got low. Low confidence -> More errors -> Even lower confidence -> Even more errors and he got stuck in that cycle

Yesterday, against JC, we have to give credit to JC. Kidambi did well against Antonsen and also against JC.

I don't think he would be able to achieve his 2017 form but he is definitely a top 15 player.

And I personally find him entertaining. He is both entertaining and frustrating to watch.

16. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    "Its not who I am underneath but what I do that defines who I am" -- amazing dialogue from batman.

On the same lines, KS is a silly player, point gifter, match loser.

He can be the most gifted/skilled but so are 100s of Tom, ****, and Harry. Yesterday he doesn't have a game plan, so are most of his matches, even if he did have a game plan he doesn't have anything in his arsenal to execute. Look at LS, he works his ass off on court, doesn't look for cheap points or try for drops when there isn't any.

A lot of junior players are talented like him, I find Priyanshu similarly or more talented but there aren't proper results yet, work ethic is the only most important thing, talent is just 1/100th of a cherry on the top.

I now have serious doubts on PGBA players, KS, Satwik Chirag etc.

I'd put Ginting also in the same bucket. These guys are nowhere compared to Carolina, Lin Dan, LCW, KM or even VA.

arjevo likes this.
  17. ojayz

ojayz Regular Member

Academic
    Yes I agree, Goh/Izzudin play with more passion and skill last night than Chia/Shoh ...
    I don't know what happen to Chia/Shoh vs Fajar/Rian... They seem to lost interest in the third game against INA pair.
    :eek::)

Today I will cheer for all INA players,
    Come on!
    :D

18. ojayz

ojayz Regular Member

Academic
    IMHO, Those two types of backhand is a very different shot... Backhand clear is when you want to play safe, to get back on position (esp. singles) and ready to defense (or whatever the opponent do)... Especially You have more time to react to the opponent's next shot.

Meanwhile backhand smash has an intention to attack the opponent. In singles play, it will be a very risky because if you are out of position and the opponent can read your backhand smash (and have a good defense), then they will easily counter-attack... that's why we rarely see singles player give backhand smash. Even the strongest and well known wrist player like Taufik Hidayat (legend of backhand smash) didn't do it that often during match; but of course we are very used to watch his highlight on Youtube and have an impression that TH did backhand-smash very often in every match. :D:D In several matches of TH that I watch entirely (Oly 2004 Final, WC2005 Final, and AG2006 Final), I never notice him did backhand smash more than 4-5 times in one match... (but I could be wrong anyway).

Happy Badminton!

Simeon likes this.
  19. Habisin-Habisin

Habisin-Habisin Regular Member

Looks like Busanan needs a wider court, a lot of her shots go out.
    Can't bear to see this massacre.

20. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    Congrats Queen Of Majors PVS on her 17th Tittle !!

GoodmintonLover likes this.