Zymax strings

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Lobeh, Jul 24, 2009.

1. jerby

jerby Regular Member

well, I haven't tried ZM62, but strung various thin strings. When you tension a string and accidentally knick it with your awl, pliers, scissors, or clamps and then pull tension on it, it will break, even at 24lbs ;)
    and if it doesn't break instantly, it'll be raveling pretty badly before the first hit.
    Another option would be if the string was twisting around itself a lot and got 'caught' before a grommet. if a stringer tries to tension that 'clutter' it'll most likely snap. (I had it with PG66 once)

2. noppy

noppy Regular Member

student
    Thread jacking

tbh doesnt really matter what number they say it is if you like that tension and its consistent doesnt matter if he says it 35lbs as long as you like it

Also atleast talk to your old stringer and tell him his tensions may be wrong and point him towards ebay and a digital luggage scale :p

3. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    I've strung Ashaway PG66, Yonex BG66, Gosen Pro 66. I even did a hybrid of BG66 mains, ZyMax 62 mains at 28.5/31.5 and it was no problem (and I did indeed calibrate my ECP) Not even fraying. Maybe I simply haven't been stringing enough to fully realize how fragile .66 and lower is, but even BG66 doesn't seem as fragile as everyone makes it out to be. Granted I'm not powerful enough even for 28 pounds, but I'd think my mishits would more than make up for it.

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

At last!

I finally managed to bork a set of Zy62 tonight:D, so that's at least 50 hours of play. Z-Slash 24/26, no mishit, just sheer power off the middle of the bed. I am completely floored by how long this stuff has lasted me - I wish my Panda buyers wouldn't keep eating it!

I was challenged into a singles marathon by Beej (aka bulldozer) and just decided to get right behind everything that went over head height and really wind it on. I got the ten hardest smashes I've ever hit before it went, so many thanks Zy62 and I'll see you again very soon:D.

I'm switching to my other favourite, SOTX 1040Ti-65 (aka the Bootlace) for a while to see how it compares.

5. shinchan99

shinchan99 Regular Member

Personally strung the Zymax 62 4 times. Out of the 4, only 1 went through smoothly. One broken have to tie a few more knots to make it complete, another 2, just cut it off and put in a new Zymax for customer.

Most probably will be too thin. No doubt the string can snap easily due to clamping, stucked within grommets, twisted etc. So must be extra careful when dealing with this kinda strings.

Too bad i didn't have a chance to try out the 62, strung one for myself snap half way through at 28lbs. So decided not to waste anymore and go ahead with 67 and strung another new racket at 70. (Both at main29 cross30)

Not too bad for that kind of price we are paying. Had myself 3 rackets and already start using all Ashaway string from MP, PG etc series. None of them lasted long (playing at 28/29main 30cross). But suprisingly the Zymax 67 and 70 is holding well, at least for now. (touch wood)

Only problem is the Zymax70 seems to be too thick, resulting a not so smooth process when stringing the crosses. Anyone encounter this problem? The 67 are okay, just nice to fit in and strung within 15 minutes pre-weaved. Overall its a good value for money string ! (Even a shop owner like me can't afford to buy Yonex string :p )

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I find both the ZM62 and ZM67 very easy to string. Yes, the ZM62 does not have great durability, so it is best to avoid high tensions. Also the ZM62 will require more patience to loop a 5-loop starting knot.

7. singnflip4life

Full Time Med Student
    I'd have to agree with taneepak. 62 is so thin, there was no problem getting through shared grommets at all. One thing that has always helped me is to cut the tip of the string diagonally to a point, but I found I didn't even need to do that with the 62. Not to act like I was better, or to act presumptuously, but try not to go so fast with stringing the thinner strings. Slowing down and being careful with pulling the string through will help prevent twisting.

As for the weaving process, BG65 is even thicker than ZM70, I have no problems weaving either, until my fingers get slippery. Then a quick wipe and everything is fine again. On the jobs I do not prestring, I weave the crosses in a diagonal manner instead of straight across, it helps to make it easier to weave.

Again, I am not trying to say I am better, I'm just trying to cover all the bases to find the problem.

8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

As a precaution I always change the grommets in knotting locations prior to using Zy62 - it's really easy to end up having to tie five knots after the first four fall through:D. It's so thin, though, you can throw it through the shared grommets, and with fresh grommets my Parnells and special tie-ons hold perfectly well up to 28, the recommended max. for Zy62.

9. singnflip4life

Full Time Med Student
    Hopefully your 5 knots is an exaggeration:eek:

ZM62 is so thin, I can send 3 through a shared grommet, I can turn unshared grommets into shared grommets, though I can see how that'd be detrimental to do so. Plus a 5-3 starting knot looks really small and compact with ZM62, and much easier to create as well

10. shinchan99

shinchan99 Regular Member

singnflip4life,

no problems pre-weaving, but when comes to tensioning the string seems more difficult , compared to BG65. Most probably BG65 has somehow lubricated feel compared to Zymax 70. Zymax 70 is like "untreated" string the feeling is so rough. But overall its a very nice string to play with ! Personally still prefer the 67 over the 70 @ 30lbs ~ ! Cheers ~

11. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

if you do a bulky starting knot (you can see the video in Youtube.com), and start with up to 28 lbs, you should be fine for the starting knot.

i assume the 5-loop starting knot might be needed for higher tension, which I didn't try. however, you should be able to do a bulky starting knot with one half-hitch knot to make it not going through the grommet.

of course, this might also be racket related, since some rackets do have LARGE grommets.

12. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    Had my T200 strung with this Zymax 67 recommended by Alom , it is a nice string, good feel and great power and it really compromise the T200 .The only down side is that the strings move too much on the string-bed . i would like to try out the Zymax 70 and see how that differ

13. ziggy87

ziggy87 Regular Member

IT Consultant
    i experienced that too hmm

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

With Zymax strings there is a need to use lower tension than nylon strings to have the best playability. This is different to the different tensions required for a string's thickness.
    Zymax string has very low dynamic stiffness which is close to that of natural gut. In the days when I used exclusively natural gut the tension difference was about 4lbs vs nylon. Nylon in contrast has high dynamic stiffness. If both Zymax and nylon strings have the same thickness, the use of a lower tension on the Zymax by say about 3lbs to 5 lbs will give you better playability as well as power.
    Say if you use 28lbs with powergut66 try Zymax of similar thickness at 23lbs.
    You will find the end results quite interesting.

15. gapperonduty

gapperonduty Regular Member

first off, great thread for a newbie to ashaway string! been trying to get my hands on the .62 and possibly .67. Playing now with bg66maxima and thinking of getting extra for other rackets and backup but it is EXPENSIVE. Hopefully the .62 might be a nice replacement.

ANyway i digress..

i saw on amazon (US)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_sq_all?ie=UTF8&keywords=zymax%20string&index=blended&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002UDN8VS&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1CDH9PN8K501PF2ADKWD

It is $5.00 for either the .62, .67 or the .70 zymax. A little too cheap i thought, so maybe someone could help to identify whether it is a legit purchase?

or am i halucinating!

16. Tim1456

Tim1456 Regular Member

Clerk
    It is from NRC sports. They are fine. But only problem I with them is they sometime is slow. If something is on high demand like zymax62. I waited 5 weeks. I would still order from them since the price is so good. But ready for long wait.

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

US$5 plus US$6.50 shipping is US$11.50 per string. This is rather expensive.

18. singnflip4life

Full Time Med Student
    Yes it certainly can be. But the trick is to buy more than one pack. Or buy through me.

19. gapperonduty

gapperonduty Regular Member

yea...i was about to pull the trigger on 4 .62 pack and 2 .67 pack...comes up to $36 with shipping... compared to my favourite 66 maxima which is $62 for 5packs...hichic...why is it soooo expensive!

anyway singnflip4life...you can offer more for less??? :):):):):)

20. Mwesty

Mwesty Regular Member

Listed some strings on the Buy & Sell Forum but on advice, I'm listing them here also if anyone is interested.

We'll split the postage if thats ok. I prefer a Bank Transfer to avoid the Paypal fees if possible.

1x Ashaway Zymax 0.67 (White) Reel: £45 -- Sold

1x Ashaway Zymax 0.70 (White) Reel: £45

3x Yonex BG68Ti Reel: £45

1x Ashaway Zymax 0.67 (White) Set: £3