Serving below or above your waist

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by lukasek97, Mar 8, 2010.

1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    the old rule of having the racket frame below the racket arm's fingers has been dropped i think.

2. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I would hate that rule being left handed myself, I don't really see the advantage though, for the first couple of points they are a bit confused as to why I was able to intercept their crosscour clear with a jumpsmash, but eventually they realise I am lefthanded

3. druss

druss Regular Member

Yes they did, I think in response to the 21 point rally system.

Agreed, players adapt, just like they do to tall players who can serve a little flatter than the rest of us. That's part of the game.

4. NanoBatien

NanoBatien Regular Member

There are two ways of limiting serving height. One is relative to the person, one is relative to some absolute measure. I just think that it is better to make it relative to some absolute measure rather than relative to the person.

Nobody is trying to handicap tall players or anything. Just using an ABSOLUTE measure rather than a measure which varies based on how tall the person is.

I have been repeating myself ad nauseum and some people still don't get it, citing all sorts of irrelevant examples. So this is the last I will say on this subject.

#24 NanoBatien, Mar 18, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  5. druss

druss Regular Member

I have trouble respecting someone's opinions when they play word games. You clearly stated in your first post that you thought short people were at a disadvantage so by limiting the serve height to an absolute measure is your way of handicapping tall players and prevent them from serving flatter than short people can. What does using an absolute measure do? Do you really think that players won't push the boundries of an "absolute" measure as much as they do a relative one? Do you think the service judges can do a better job trying to compare the shuttle height to an object even farther way from the shuttle than the body of the server? Maybe tennis should also do the same thing so that tall players there are also handicapped? We should put a height restriction on basketball players so the shorter players aren't at a disadvantage... AND I THINK LIN DAN SHOULD HAVE TO PLAY RIGHT HANDED!!!

What exactly have you been repeating "ad nauseum"? You have given little reason to make the change other than that it's "unfair".... well deal with it, everyone else does and they don't complain. I suggest you watch some of the japanese players sometimes, especially the girls, I highly doubt they complain about the service rules. They recognize the fact that their opponents are almost always taller and have adapted their game to that fact.

Show me the irrelevant examples that have been cited...

I suggest you stop worrying about others and just improve your own game.

#25 druss, Mar 18, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  6. kish-mah-ash

kish-mah-ash Regular Member

bleh,
    have we all gone through this topic before?i remen,ber discusising in a thread about using laser line or mark on a netting to using belt buckle with sensor on a person's tummy tto decide what's da best way to avoid serving above the waist.
    i think keeping things as is,using a person's waistline is da best and suimplest way.

7. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    I agree. Sorry to any short guys, but suck it up :p
    If it's any consolation, I don't even believe short players are at a significant disadvantage when serving - I mean, if it was that big of deal don't you think we'd be seeing a few Ivo Karlovic type players doing well in badminton too?
    How many can you you name who are even over 6 foot?

8. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Fair Play

A serve is the single most important shoot around, especially in a high level doubles game where most players can smash, drop, trick, move etc as hard/fast as others. The difference is often lie on the serve, it sets up the attacking momentum from the set go.

And therefore i have to acknowledge that a taller player (under the current rule) has an upper hand. Lets say in a doubles match, where all 4 player are equal on all categories (including technique, power, speed, stamina, awareness, etc) beside height then i would argue that the pair who are taller (in significant value) have good chance of winning. Im not talking about 1-3 cms, but something above 15cms.

I dont want to go into argument on whether the rule should be changed or how it should be changed, there are many alternatives. I suggest on the other thread that a serve should have a height limit where everyone can only serve at that max height (regardless of their height).

Having said that, to change the serving rule is not about limiting player natural genetic advantage. Its about having a rule thats fairer for everyone. Its the same principle as to serve behind the line, regardless your physical condition you still have to serve behind that lines. And if you touch that line its a fault, why? Because thats the fair line which everyone have to serve at. If you are Hussain Bolt, are you allowed to start the sprint a few cm higher on the track? No. I dont see the reason why it cant be implemented on the serve rule.

9. druss

druss Regular Member

Yes it is... taller players can also have a steeper angle to their smash, should we set a limit on the maximum height you can smash from as well? What you're talking about is removing an advantage that someone has due to their own physical size. Stronger players can also smash harder, should we limit the speed at which you're allowed to smash?

Lines are completely different from what we're talking about, I don't even know how you can make a comparison between having to serve from behind a line and the serve height which depends on the servers height.

This is getting ridiculous, the only sport I can personally think of where they try to make everyone the same is horse racing where they add weight to the horses in order to make them all carry the same weight. This is not the same as classes like they have in boxing where there is a range.

Anyway, I think I've tried to make my point as well as possible but of course everyone has their own opinions, even if they are illogical to me.

10. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Its not it. The answer to your question is NO. On the otherhand would it be fair if a 2.2m player can serve straight down to the net like a smash effectively?

Serving at a max height is a range too. The range is 0cm to xxcm.

In regards to the serve line, its there because it will be an advantage if you can serve closer to the net. Imagine if we have to serve from the back line, wouldn't it be more difficult to get the same serve quality? This is just one of the examples.

Same here :D

11. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

For the better

A better rule should not in any way stopping player to reach his/her talent, strength and ability limit. On the other it also must accomodate the highest fairness possible

Would it be unfair if a badminton serve has a maximum height limit? I cant see the negative side of it

At the same time its not the same (as above) to say that a backhand is now illegal or a max smash speed is 250kms/hr. If thats the case it will be an obvious backward move for the game development

Cheers :)

12. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Serving height is a regulation based on a person's height, or more accurately on the height of the waist.

No other regulation use the player's physique as a basis. Height of net, dimensions of court and service location are the same for every player. If a player is taller than another and therefore will have better court coverage, fair enough. We fight on the same battleground. The taller player is not expected to give a handicap.

But then, it's different when it comes to serving. The rules are saying, oh you're taller, you can serve from a higher position. You're shorter, no you can't serve from the same height, you gotta serve lower.

With reference to your basketball height-restriction analogy, the serving height rule is akin to a height restriction, i.e. your service is restricted to your waist height. It would be fairer if rules regarding service height is not related to your own height, the same as rules for net height, court dimensions etc. When it comes to steeper smashes, easier coverage etc., it's not rule-related, rather it's gameplay-related, the rules are neither being fair nor unfair about it because it does not govern it at all.

I'm not advocating that we change the rules. I'm ok with it though I am short. It is probably not practical to change them. I can imagine that a very tall person will have difficulty serving at a low position (but on current rules, he can serve almost flat at you). But since we are discussing this issue hypothetically, I'd just chip in my opinion.

13. NanoBatien

NanoBatien Regular Member

One last example.

If we remade the service line rule, so that you have to stand at least your height away from the net, do you think its fair? So taller people have to serve from further back.

Explain why such a rule is unfair.

#33 NanoBatien, Mar 19, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  14. lukasek97

lukasek97 Regular Member

GUYS STOP ARGUING

15. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Ehm its possible, but can you implement this even on a local/club level? The prospect is that you have to draw a new line each game

16. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Got the timeframe

5min:21sec

score 7:7 first set.

where he does the pulling up his shorts joke to make his waist look higher. (though the badminton serve definition of waist in that waist rule, is "lowest rib").

17. psyclops

psyclops Regular Member

The shuttle when hit by the racket must be below the waist.
    If the match is not using a fixed height servicedevice, then and only then will the requirement of racket shft pointing downward must be fulfilled. If using the service device, the shaft direction is of no consequence.