Badminton skill levels

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by registered, Sep 11, 2004.

1. registered

registered Regular Member

Royal Bum
    Sorry if i double posted but i search a little bit and i didn't find anything to what i am going to ask. I was just wondering to hear from all of you what does it mean to be considered a beginner/intermediate/advance player? Of course there is also pro, but that's blindly obvious. I was just wondering about this because i've been playing for over 6 years and i still consider myself between beginner and intermediate. I was wondering is there like some sort of scale like the tennis 7.0 scale. thanks for the opinions.

2. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    I am not aware of any well-defined scale like the NTRP system used in tennis.

What I've seen in California tournaments is a system that uses the letters A thru E. A players, while not necessarily world-class, possess a very advanced skill set & are generally some of the best players in the country. Perhaps this level would be equivalent to a 6.0 player in tennis. A badminton B player might be on par with a 4.5 or 5.0 tennis player. World class players would be 7.0 NTRP

I would classify a tournament C player as a high intermediate player. This might be akin to a 4.0 tennis player. The D level was originally intended for novice players, however it has been dominated by low-C players. I would characterize the average D player as a low intermediate. Another lower level was created for novices... sometimes call Novice or E level.

Note that these levels are not absolute. They are my own guestimations on what I've observed. The levels in southern Calif have more deepth & perhaps are a half-class higher than the same level in the SF Bay area.

I've not seen any detailed definitions of these tournament levels... does NE1 wanna take a stab at it?

3. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied