How do you pick a shuttle on the court floor?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Bombshell, Mar 22, 2003.

1. GiGaChip

GiGaChip Regular Member

I used to have problems with scratching my racquet, but what I think (not sure about this though) is as I said earlier, having a loose grip will put less pressure on the racquet when you scoop it up, therefore it won't impact on the ground harder :confused: I hope it makes sense lol. Also, make sure you are scooping in a rather whipping like motion while manipulating your fingers quickly so that you don't scoop it too long and end up scratching your racquet. Usually if you do it right, your racquet shouldn't scratch on a gym/wooden floor. But on cement and concrete...it's bound to get scratched, no matter what :D

2. FlamingJam

FlamingJam Regular Member

Research Student/PT Coach
    u dont have to touch the floor with rackets to do but you'll quickly catch on as practise isn't hard i can now pick it up with any part of the head /backwards/through the legs/round the back watever oh yer and thers another way 2 do it by tapping the top feathers of the shuttle well with the racket it bounces to the air and you catch it -nice;)

3. megabites

megabites Regular Member

Hmm.. tried just that and well, it's still the same..and at times couldnt scoop...

4. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I can never do No. 1 (I've been playing for almost 16 years and still can't do it! :D ) Any tips?

I can get it to spin probably twice at best!

5. Yipom

Yipom Regular Member

I really Don't recomment doin #1 cuz the possibility of you dropping ur racquet is VERY high, since the racquet MUST spin @ a fairly high speed in order to keep the momentum to rotate to the next spin. and with that Speed, and Droping ur racquet @ that Speed the chances of Scratches are FOR sure, and it might even cuz internal damge do the racquet.

Btw i recomment praticing the Scooping bird thing on Carpet first, with the Cork facing up, that is the Easiest position to scoop a bird, then when u start to feel more comfortable about it, pick up the bird when its Cork is facing downwards. And finally take away the carpet when u have mastered the Carpet training

6. MP_User

MP_User Regular Member

I totally agree.

And if you are right handed, and just starting, I recommend using 10:30 o'clock of your racket.

7. tranvi007

tranvi007 Regular Member

Student
    Tricks!!!

These are my favourite. I can do all of them, but one that i can't is hitting the bird at knee height, with your back against the net. Or a jump underleg hit with your back to the net. But the scooping is easy. Just have a swift smooth motion. Use your wrist to turn the racket and scoop the birdy to the side of the rim. At around 9 o'clock. Don't push or the bird with go sideways. Just scoop smoothly. Catching the bird in mid air is also easy. It requires coordination. Watch the bird fall and imitate the fall with your racket. Then slow down your racket with there impact. And there u have it.

8. mnanchala

mnanchala Regular Member

Engineer
    You mean on contact, if there is impact then the bird will bounce off the string.

9. HoustonRockets

HoustonRockets Regular Member

how you pick up the bird with your racket?

where you guys position your racket when you pick up the shuttle from the floor?

:)

10. cressidaracer

cressidaracer Regular Member

i just put the racquet rim next to the cork on the side and just a small flick of the wrist to fling the birdie to whereever.... lol... im not an expert but it works for me.... my little brother learned it in like 2 trys... i would guess scooping the birdie onto the racquet and not fling it might be a little more challenging... the racquet doesnt get scratched from doing this from what i see...

11. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

i can do it fast or slow, on most positions of the frame, without touching the floor.

i don't find a problem with returning the shuttle to opponents as long as the return was tasteful.
    if i'm close, i usually reach under the net with my racquet and toss the shuttle to my opponent.
    if they're far, i usually gently lob it to the appropriate side of the serving T.

12. ErrBerr

ErrBerr Regular Member

Student
    Haha.. I like scooping the shuttle.. I can do it forehand and backhand.. I can do it keeping the shuttle on the racket or flicking it up.. usually I flick it up and do another scoop in the air and flick it up into my hands.. it makes up for my poor gameplay skills, lol..

13. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    one of my coaches who was teaching us beginners at the community center told us to practice scooping the shuttle up. he said something like "you have to look cool when you pick up the birdie" hahahaha :D

i wasn't good at it at that time (being only something like grade 5).. and gave up in the end. i practiced recently, and now its easy for me to do :D

14. Big Slick

Big Slick Regular Member

Does anybody pick up the shuttle by tapping down on the end of the feathers with your racket causing the shuttle to do a little tumble and land on your racket? It's a bit more advanced than your standard scoop though :cool:.

15. CanuckBur

CanuckBur Regular Member

Technical support.
    Hahaha. Yeah, it does look cool. Although I am not an advanced player, I am able to scoop up the shuttle (either "magnet" it or flip it at different height). I learned it by watching Gong Ruina's actions. (ref: Han's DVD).

16. Pasch

Pasch Regular Member

Student
    Hehe I had played for 3 yrs before I could do it :) Now, I can do it in both forehand and backhand :)

Anybody tried the little trick where you hit the shuttlecock on the feathers with the top of your racket? It makes the shuttlecock bounce up to you, pretty neat - but very difficult IMO.

17. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

thats very hard to do with plastics, since we're plastic users for the most part here in canada due to climate issues.. :p

18. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    Speak for yourself :) There's plenty of feather action here in Vancouver every day of the week.

19. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
    If the shuttle is in this postition,

\/

scoop it up from the lower left or lower right.

/\

scoop it up from the upper left or upper right.

Here are the steps in scooping it.

\/ / -
    (shuttle) (1) (2)

20. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    You made it sound so simple :D