How to recover after a long break?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jsevalle, Oct 13, 2003.

1. jsevalle

jsevalle Regular Member

student
    I wasn't able to play for a long time (about 2 months) And when i made a comeback, my play isn't the same anymore. Please give me some advice or suggestions on how to retain my play. :( :(

2. Rohly

Rohly Regular Member

I didn't play for 4 weeks and on my first game back on a club night i literally didn't hit one overhead (i am not exaggerating) i played badly all that night and the next few times i played. I was getting worried i would never be able to play as well again but i eventually started to come back.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    my advice is to stay away from games for a couple of days. you should start by focusing on doing drills. start off focusing on the touch strokes like drives, drops, net. and then when you feel that you are getting your timing back, go on to clears and only at the very end, smashes. in between make sure you work on your footwork as well as that tends to be the most difficult one to regain from my own experience.

be patient.

4. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Yes, patience and basics.

Work on the basics of the game and don't expect too much too soon. Once you have warmed up so to speak then go back gradually to the way you played before.

It's amazing how after a couple of months how your games goes if you have been inactive. Inactivity is the biggest problem, because you have been used to specific movements and strokes and are almost starting cold again you need to have a warm up period of a few sessions.

And also remember you may have changed physically in this time, gained bulk, lost bulk, built up muscle, lost muscle etc so you need to factor these changes into your preparation and re train as it were for your movements and shots.

5. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    All is well said. Concentrate on your footwork as well.