I need help

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by offscott, Oct 6, 2008.

1. offscott

offscott Regular Member

wannabe writer
    I need help on everything on badminton. Most of my friends can beat me and I am really wanting to beat them. I'm going to a new badminton club tomorrow and don't know what to expect.

My problem is that when its quite high in the air I try to do an over head clear or a smash or dropshot. But sometimes I miss it! Even when its right in front of me! What can I do to help the shots?

One of my friends of mine says that my shots are pridictible. I'm going to try and remember to make the shuttle go to the over side of the court if they are staning way at the side.

Also what over things should I do? Thanks! Bye!;)

2. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    First things first, you gotta get your timing down to hit the bird.

Read Gollum's grip guide at the badmintonbible for how to hit your racquet, and ask a coach to help your swing. Once you can do a good forehand clear baseline baseline effortlessly, then the other strokes will follow. But you need a foundation first.

3. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Quite a few things you can do.
    1. Hire a coach
    2. Do a lot of shadow badminton. Concentrate on the footwork and then the strokes to gain stability in your swing.
    3. Hit a lot of clears. Smashes and drops are mainly variations of the clearing movement.

Yes, read Gollum's grip guide as Athelete1234 suggested. You have to start with the correct grip -- IMHO, is second in importance only to the footwork. The stroke will come once you have both locked in.