Looking for stringing machine suggestions.

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Chris wadson, Nov 8, 2023.

1. Chris wadson

Chris wadson Regular Member

Currently doing some research to find the best option within my budget.

Live in Bc Canada so options have been a bit limited. Budget looking around 3000 Canadian

I have an old crank machine but it is 2 point and breaks racquets so this is not an option anymore (strung a lot of racquets before one broke, found out that was the reason so i have "retired" until I find a new machine.) Considering upgrading to an electronic.

Background- fairly novice stringer, more of a hobby/helping other people and myself.
    - Coach a high school team and string a few racquets here and there(free for students)
    -String for local players now and then
    -String for myself generally once a month (i like to break strings apparently)

Currently the Gamma X-ELS Electronic
    stood out, but with taxes and shipping it does seem a little high.
    https://racquetguys.ca/collections/...ucts/gamma-x-els-electronic-stringing-machine

Any suggestions would be amazing thank you!

kakinami likes this.
  2. Chris wadson

3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Gamma in general are solid machines and afaik they are locally available to order in the US and Canada. Those round gripper electronic tension heads haven't been that popular though. And yeah, even if it's CAD, that's still a steep pricing imo. The Pro's Pro is one of their old generation machines which are famous for their p*ss poor quality.

With that budget, I'd recommend to take a look at the StringMaster Deluxe with the WISE tension head:
    https://www.tennisman.de/Weiteres/B...TennisMan-StringMaster-Deluxe-Elektronik.html

Or the iTennis T2:
    https://www.tennisman.de/Weiteres/B...Besaitungsmaschine-iTennis-T2-elektronik.html

You'd have to deal with shipping and import trouble though.

4. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

KBM424 likes this.
  5. Chris wadson

Thank you for the info, this website seems to have very reasonable prices (even considering shipping) compared to the ones I have been on.

The only issue is it does not provide a lot of info about each machine, some of the machines look like an amazing deal which have the same puller, but come with a stand and are even cheaper such as

https://www.tennisman.de/en/Other/S...&varselid[0]=950fe33e08a5ce407efe77af9d70cb74

Would you know the benefits of the two you suggested, compared to something like this? I can always buy a stand separately if desired.

Thank you for your time!

6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

T12 and T15 are the same base machine with the T15 having the semi-automatic clamp bases. And you want those, believe me.

I have owned the predecessor of the T15 before upgrading to the StringMaster and clearly, the StringMaster is worth the extra money but you can get the same results with a T15.

You can see both machines in action in these videos:

As for the stands, you can order matching stands for both Superstringer and StringMaster machines:

https://www.tennisman.de/Weiteres/Besaitungsmaschinen/Standfuesse/SUPERSTRINGER-Standfuss-gruen.html

https://www.tennisman.de/Weiteres/B...TennisMan-Standfuss-StringMaster-schwarz.html

https://www.tennisman.de/Weiteres/B...n-Standfuss-StringMaster-Premium-schwarz.html

So in the end it all comes down to budget.

7. Chris wadson

Hmm interesting thank you, I did not know the benefits of the different clamp types (read up on them good to know!)

I was looking on the site, and as mentioned above, what is the downside of this machine? It seems to have the good clamps, good base, and the Wiseman popular puller. However the price is so much lower than your recommended one (https://www.tennisman.de/Weiteres/B...TennisMan-StringMaster-Deluxe-Elektronik.html ). Is it just an older model>? or is there a severe downside i am not seeing.
    Cheaper one-
    https://www.tennisman.de/en/Other/S...RSTRINGER-T12-LE-with-premium-floorstand.html

8. Chris wadson

-Sorry to confirm it looks like the cheap one has the semi auto clamps as well.

9. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

The Stringmaster Deluxe will be way more solid and stable than the pros pro or the T12 (looks like the same base).
    I had the pros pro turn table and it was tilting on load. It not that big of a deal but it did bother me. The clamp and clamp base alone are worth the price difference.
    I personally would go for the Stringmaster if you can afford that. I would even go for this one from @s_mair link https://www.tennisman.de/Weiteres/B...Besaitungsmaschine-iTennis-T2-elektronik.html which have a better tensioner.

s_mair likes this.
  10. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

11. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I have a friend in Las Vegas using one, he os happy with it, I had one but I only strung tennis on it, to me for tennis it was a good machine. You kinda get what you pay for. If you spend a little more money you will get a better machine with better functions. The Gamma machine I don't remember if it has a knot button, I could be wrong but for sure the Alpha Ghost has one, so you press a button and it will raise the tension to a certain percentage when you tie your knot. The Alpha has a linear pull and gamma has a rotational so you will need to be sure your string length are a little longer, or if you use a starting clamp as a string extender your string on your starting clamp should be longer. Try Craigslist, maybe you can find a used machine or for your machine just add a Wise tension head?

Sent from my SC-01L using Tapatalk

12. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

13. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

14. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Okay, now I get your point. I thought you were only comparing the two different Superstringer machines.

First of all, the Superstringer and that Pro's Pro Hornet are both made by the same Chinese manufacturer (AEF) and hence are pretty much identical.

The StringMaster machines though are made in Taiwan (Xpider) and play in a whole different league in terms of build quality and features. It also comes with imo the best clamp bases out there:

Those bases alone cost you ~500 USD the pair if you buy the seperatly iirc. The actual clamps are better too. The StringMaster moves both side support arms symmetrically with only turning one know whereas you have to adjust each of them seperately on the Superstringers. And there are many more details like this.
    Bottom line, the StringMasters are worth the extra money but that doesn't mean that they will automatically produce better results. A good stringer can deliver the same quality jobs on both machines, the StringMaster will make it easier though.

The Alpha Ghost then again is a whole different beast but imo an almost cartoonish overkill for the intended purpose. :)

15. Chris wadson

I agree the apha looks very overkill for this purpose haha (plus with that price in USD, its VERY out of the budget range). 28 hr straight drive to vegas then 28 hours back is a little out of my plan as well haha.

I do like the suggestion you gave
    TennisMan StringMaster Deluxe Elektronik
    I contacted the company an unfortunately I really need to consider shipping....They informed me that this machine ships in two parcels (one for machine one for puller) and they will charge shipping per parcel(so double the 150$ the website tells me, they will make me pay extra after the purchase through an email? a little sketchy if you ask me....). Then if i throw in a stand another parcel with additional shipping....Still comparable to the only real canadian site i can find stringers on (https://racquetguys.ca/). So the tennisman still may be a consideration even with the shipping.

Another interesting point the tennismans spokesman suggested to wait until march 2024 and get this machine with the improved puller (https://www.tennisman.de/en/Other/S...ter-Deluxe-LE-Electronic-Version-2.html?cur=4)

Currently out of stock so i would need to wait. Not sure if it would be worth the extra for my purposes.

Another suggestion from tennisman was they had was to buy their drop weight machine of the stringmaster, and they will put a wise adapter on it and remove the drop weight(so 1 package ship) then i buy the wise puller from canada ( 1250 approx with shipping)....Interesting prospect...but adding in multiple suppliers in the purchase is not always great.

Lots of stuff to consider but learning more!

16. Chris wadson

[QUOT Try Craigslist, maybe you can find a used machine or for your machine just add a Wise tension head?

Sent from my SC-01L using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Very good suggestion, unfortunately craigslist, kijiji etc are empty for these products in my wider area. My current machine is only a 2 point mount so for badminton it is not a viable option anymore.

17. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

That's what I am currently waiting for. Don't know how much extra it will be compared to the Wise but I am planning to replace it with the new tensioner :D

18. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Shipping has become incredibly expensive over the past 2 years. And yeah, there are lots of options to consider.

Regarding the question WISE vs. V2 tension head - I had the WISE for a couple of years and have made the upgrade to the new one a couple of months back. And yeah, the new one is better than the WISE - less noisy, smoother. And so far it’s been perfectly reliable. So if both were available, I’d recommend to go with the new one.
    But don’t get me wrong - The WISE is a dead solid piece of gear and the option to buy it locally still makes it very interesting imo.

19. Chris wadson

20. mckbadminton

mckbadminton New Member