who's to blame for the match throwing?

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by kwun, Aug 1, 2012.

?

who's to be blamed for the match throwing?

1. The players are at fault for throw matches

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. BWF is to blame for implementing group structure

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. no one / other are to be blamed.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. both players and BWF are to be blamed

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    old incident.

but i stumbled into this podcast recently (when I was googling for badminton related podcast, in vain, obviously)

https://archive.org/details/PalsPodcastEpisode38-Badminton_MoreLikeRadminton

so the dude at the podcast was pretty vocal criticizing BWF's system, which we all agree is dumb. but what he suggested is quite interesting:

let the winner decide whether they actually WON. ie. they winner can choose to lose and go into the loser bracket.

i thought it is quite brilliant. as they would've want to go to the loser bracket, but to do that they need to win the match.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Good idea! But... the problem then is if the result from the other half is not out yet, then it'll be meaningless for the winner of the half that finishes their match first because they can't decide to play against the loser or the winner of the other half.

3. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

And on that note: I remember many comparisons to other sports, most noteably basketball Olympics iirc and them getting away with it, so most recently such an incident happened in the waterpolo Olympic qualifying tournament with France throwing their game against Canada to avoid Spain in the knockout: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...y-sparks-match-throwing-controversy-1.3533896
    It is pretty obvious France threw the game as Canada is nothing in waterpolo; an added bonus would be that Netherlands would (deservedly) take France's spot in the Olympics :D

#203 demolidor, Apr 24, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  4. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Ouch! That's a little harsh, eh? :oops:

But it's probably true: Canucks are nothing in waterpolo. But we totally own icepolo! ;)

5. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

:D to be fair the dutch men's team was nothing as well (nor are France something to write home about, in European terms anyway) but are now coached by the 2008 gold medal ladies' coach and upset a whole host of nations in the group stage, including perennial power Spain. It's probably telling of the strength in Europe that Spain has performed far better at the World Championships than European Championships ...
    I couldn't for the life of me remember seeing Canada (men's) at a tournament but apparently they've been at plenty of WCH and the last 5 haven't finished at the bottom. But apparently it still was 'obvious' France were throwing the game and were supposedly favored to win.

#205 demolidor, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016