Zymax strings

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Lobeh, Jul 24, 2009.

1. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Of all the Zymax strings, I would think that ZM65 is the best. I hasten to add that I haven't (had the b@!!$ to) try ZM62 yet. :eek: But ZM70 is history; ZM67 promised much when it was first released but frankly it just loses bite too quickly. I don't know what Ashaway has done differently with ZM65 but I'd give it a 8/10 any day. It retains it's tension very well; it doesn't lose bite; it plays well with offense and defence; it even sounds good!

...although subjectively, I'd still lean towards BG80! :p

2. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>

Lol...should give ZM62 at least one try just to experience the hype that was talked bout. For me, it is a tad too repulsive n breaks too easily.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

There is no such thing as too repulsive and too much power. :)

Now breaking too easily, just don't hit near the frame edge if stringing over 24 lbs. :p

4. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>

Well...I beg to differ. Prior to ZM62, was stringing 4u TK-6ooo with VS850 @25/26 lbs. The birdie seldom went out of court n even if it did, it won't b by much. With ZM62 @26/27 lbs, close to half of my shots went out by twice or thrice the distance inviting glares frm my partners...
    ( ↑.↑)

Perhaps, the HH plus the mid-flex shaft of TK-6ooo do play a role as well...

5. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

It's like saying a sports car is too fast. You can control how fast you drive. Just like how you can (or at least you should be able to) control how hard you hit.

6. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>

That I can't do...coz am pretty close to b nicknamed "king of hitting frames"
    ( ↑.↑)

On the bright side, if my frame shots went it unexpectedly n earned points, they went
    ( ○.○)

7. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>

ZM65 suits me better than ZM62 as I get more control, better durability n a tad or two less repulsiveness...

8. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    I spoke with the team that distributes Ashaway string in UK. Zymax .67 or .70 are the most popular choices in colours white and yellow.

.62 is least favourite and I understand why. .62 is simply too thin for many players. I don't know of any pro players using .62 gauge. Do you?

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

9. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    I really didn't like zm62 and I wasn't fussed on zm65.

10. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Any thoughts on zymax 70? I ordered some and I play plastics. How is it compared too BG 65? , so far I liked 62 and hated 65 and 67

11. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Here we enjoy thin string. We have the perfect climate

12. 100minus

100minus Regular Member

I tried AP62 and to my disappointment it felt just the same as AP62+ (hard and rough).
    Wondering is the ZM62 the same?

13. visor

visor Regular Member

What tensions are you using? At my lowish 23-24 lbs with ZM62, it's a medium hard crunchy feel, with a lot of crispy repulsion. But I can imagine it feeling hard if strung at 27 or more.

14. 100minus

100minus Regular Member

Low tension 22. I tried the AP62 and another 0.63mm string and both the surface feel rough probably coz they are not nano coated. Feel my usual 0.64mm nano string still has more repulsion.

15. wning

wning Regular Member

I find that I like my Zymax 65 with 2-3 lbs higher than BG-80. it really lose tension fast. I ended up cutting them about 20 games.:crying:

16. visor

visor Regular Member

Yes, recently I've been trying out bg80 compared to my usual zm65 on my Jetspeed 8PS.

At same tension 25x27 lbs, zm65 rings at 1140 Hz, whereas bg80 rings lower at 1120 Hz reflecting the difference in string diameter.

However bg80 has a noticeably harder more solid feel, which was what I wanted on the soft feeling 8PS.

17. wning

wning Regular Member

my BG80 don't last as long as Zymax 65. Maybe the tension lost is much greater in the 65. Just restrung the 65 3 lbs more yesterday.

18. visor

visor Regular Member

Ugh... no kidding. Just broke the bg80 on a mishit. Only played 2 hrs on it. :( Must be less tolerant of mishits due to the harder material.

Oh well, back to zm65, but next time will increase by 1 lb to 26x28.

19. visor

visor Regular Member

Maybe increase tension to 23-24 lbs and you'll likely get more repulsion.

20. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

That's odd, maybe you had a bad batch? I've strung two reels' worth of BG80 and never had it break within a day (otherwise customers would complain lol). I string for some university varsity players and they play with BG80, it usually lasts at least 1 month, sometimes longer. They usually have 2-3 practices a week and of course only play with feather. Their tension is usually 24x26, for the girls and 26+ for guys.

I recently strung 30x31 on an XP70 and it actually had some fun with it, though smashes kind of sucked (no 'oomph').

Anyway, recently tried ZM67 red on 4U MX80 25x27, since I'm trying to finish off my year-old reel. It was quite a surprise, everything about it was great. I know most people prefer a harder-feeling stringbed for netplay, but I prefer a slightly more mushy/spongy feeling. The smashes had a nice sound to it, more of a whip crack than a boom (like BG80). But off-centered shots were horrible, no distance at all, it could be due to the frame of the MX80 however. The real test will be putting ZM67 in my AT900T and comparing it with my other AT900T with BG80 23x25.

Visor, have you invested in a string machine yet? I hope you will if you haven't.

#1880 phaaam, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: May 28, 2014