Nastiest Training Exercises

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ViningWolff, Nov 15, 2006.

1. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    For me, nothing kills worse than dumbell lunges.

( i.e 20 - 40 punds dumbells in each hand while doing lunges)

I tried them after running stairs today. Ow.

What say you?

On court has to be mad scramble drill. Burn legs burn!

2. Crazypeetee246

Crazypeetee246 Regular Member

For me, worst are suicides. Especially when you have a mean coach and she will set time limits on completing one back and forth. I've done this in a group, and my coach set the maximum time just low enough so that a couple people wouldn't make it. :crying: If just one person didn't make it, we'd have to do it again. You'd think that the time limit would change, but it doesn't. After a good 10-15 times all of us are hyperventilating and dead on the floor. The thing is that when your running with a group, you force yourself to continue because its embarassing to quit. :p

3. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    I personally love lunges, even with weights in hand because I do a lot of hiking and mountian biking so my legs are fairly well developed. Outside of badminton I think the nastiest training I've every done was in wrestling. We had to crawl with only our arms across the room with a guy on our back. This doesn't sound too bad the first 10-20 times you do it, but when you hit around 50 and your forearms can't get any traction on the mat from sweat, it sucks. Not to mention the room temperature is set to 90 and your stuck between a floor that doesnt' disperse heat and another warm body. In badminton, it would have to be just simple push ups; i just have absolutely no upper body strength.

4. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    What are suicides btw?

5. ViningWolff

Process Engineer
    Run 1/4 length of the gym and back, 1/2 gym, 3/4 gym and full gym at a full sprint. Also called lung busters for obvious reasons.

6. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    Ahh, we called those lines. Since I did some XC and track before I did badminton, I loved those XD

7. morewood

morewood Regular Member

All this talk of exercise has me out of breath. Back when I went to the gym regularly (havent been in 2006 lazy me), the worst kind of exercise used to be the monthly fitness test, basically lots of running (10 mins) and then upper body and lower body resistance exercise followed by more running (10 mins) and so on for the full hour. Other than that its probably rowing, 20 minutes flat out on the rowing machine used to be it for me, arms legs and lungs all screaming at me too stop.

8. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

Two things I dread. Beep test and agility. The beep test basically uses all muscle fiber type, slow intermediate and fast twitch. Your legs feel like lead after and you want to puke (depending on how hard you push yourself)

Agility is a bunch of footwork done over two courts.
    - Sprint two courts, sprint backwards on way back X 2
    - Lunging jumps two courts, same giong back
    - Shuffle steps two courts there and back X 2
    - Kamikaze or grape vine two courts there and back
    - two shuffle steps facing forward alternating which foot is leading after two steps there and back X 2
    No matter how much you do agility its still difficult because the better you get at it the more properly you can do it (getting lower on each movement)

I get to look forward to agility every Monday at 7AM.
    We do it 14-20 times. Each time must be completed in under a minute with abuot a minute or less in break time.

9. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    Drill from He**. My badminton coach used to make us do this for mental training, endurance, and sprinting. Have one person stand right on the other side of the net, holding ten birdies.

You start from the middle, do the footwork to get back to the endline, jump smash the air, and at that very moment right before you land, the other person tosses a birdie right over the net. They do it so that you should be able to reach it, but since you haven't touched the ground when the birdie's already in the air, it makes it agonizing to reach (mentally). You must then use your footwork, using an initial burst of speed, to reach the birdie and either (Depending on what the coach told us to do) drop, cross-drop, clear, or cross-clear.

Ideally, you should touch 5 birdies, hit 3 of those 5 over, and make 1 of those 3 to the right spot. WHen tossing, it should be like a bad (slightly high) drop.

10. ViningWolff

Process Engineer
    Ryan told me about Agility and I was doing for a summer on the tennis courts. I would only do five and get pissed right off cause my times were for crap. ( that and with my knees I can't do the jump lunge)

Then Ryan quietly pointed out that the distances I was running was double and it kinda negated the point of the drill.

Actaully the othe rnatsy one was the big step drill using a piece of telephone pole ( rugby drill). Had to cradle a five foot length of telephone pool in your arms in front of you, then lunge step as far as possible over a rugby field.

I think the best I ever did was a little past midlfield before something on my body would simply shut down. ( usually my arms).

Hiro - I remember doing something like that. These days I'd be lucky not to take out the net, my opponent and a few people in the stands prior to stopping.

11. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Split leg jumps.. for the life of me I can't remember the name of it! There's a specific name for it..

Anyway, jump with one leg in front and one leg behind, then when you land bend your knee forward(the leg that is in front). Jump alternately with different legs in front each time..

It seemed so easy for my training mates to do 100, but usually I had to kill myself to reach 50.. up to today I haven't figured out why yet.. why they did it so easily and I couldn't do it without dying..

The funny thing was, I could jump up and down with both legs together at relatively high area continuously, the same height as the older guys.. that the other girls managed to reach that height after a few months of it.. and no, I wasn't the tallest girl. Lol! At 155cm, how can I be?:p

So it wasn't that my legs were weaker than the rest.. my sprinting too I was always only behind 1 or 2 guys..

And yet that split leg exercise was so exceptionally horribly painful/tiring.:confused:

#11 Joanne, Nov 16, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2006
  12. xXHilikusXx

xXHilikusXx Regular Member

hey i wrestle too ^^

13. jerby

jerby Regular Member

The oen Hiro Did I indeed gruelling, we did a different version:three corners.
    You just do normal footwrok to your around-the-head, make a swing, go to your forehand, jump-smas+bridy toss..
    gruelling...

full court multiple-shuttle feeding from a bench is murder. the 'trainer' stand on a bench (ours is about a feet high) at the T-joint and hits 20 shuttles to all corner.
    But from that hight the pace if immense!

14. midknightblue

midknightblue Regular Member

High School Student
    My coach makes us do a crazy workout every school day... even more for varsity. We do a series of suicides (sprint one court, back, two courts, back, three courts, back, four courts) I think the time limit was like 30 seconds each with a minute's rest in between.. We'd also do a series of lunges across the four courts and 100 frog jumps.. then run a mile in under 7 minutes :p

15. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    whoa you mean 40lbs dumbbell in each hand---oww must hurt A LOT!!:eek:

16. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    Most definitely the beep test.

Not to be too personal, but the beep test + minor urinary incontinence = NOT FUN

17. oliviergmar

oliviergmar Regular Member

Personally,

3x8 175 lbs back squat followed by
    30 standing calves raises with 70 lbs dumbell in each hands. I can't walk without looking like a moron.

or

100% interval speed training doing footwork on a court with series of 20-30 jump squats between the footworks.

18. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Look up "Tabata interval training"

Basically, it is an interval training protocol that involves doing 20 secs of high intensity activity, 10 secs rest, for a total of 4 minutes. What this guy Tabata found was that this 4 minute work out can bring about huge improvements in aerobic and anaerobic capacity, even in trained athletes, as well being very useful for burning fat.

The thing is... it is super tough. The workout is designed such that intensity can be very high, but it doesn't give you a sufficient rest interval to recover. The result is a huge oxygen debt as well as high lactic acid levels.

I remember doing this workout using burpees as my exercise. After I finished, I laid down on the ground breathing maximally for 5 minutes before I got up.

19. Kiwiplayer

Kiwiplayer Regular Member

I'm sure Shifty can could have a few things to say about how much fun Tabata's are to do :)

Wayne Young

20. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    Seems like I should use Tabata interval training!! Mehh I can't do bar squats :( My arms are too weak to support the bar LOL But I can do the squat machine no problemo.