Ideal Training Schedule

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jchan04, Apr 6, 2008.

1. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    Oh! My bad...I take that back.:eek:

2. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    You forgot something, LIFTS!Cross-court net shots as well, but stick to the easier things first like a basic net shot.

3. jchan04

jchan04 Regular Member

Like I said before, I am an intermediate player training for my provinical circuit. I already know the basics of footwork and strokes. Also, if you look at my number 5 that is called defensive clearing = lifting. there's really not much to emphasize on lifting because you're not suppose to lift a lot in a doubles game. plus, the higher you lift, the close it will be to the backcourt line.

I dont want to discuss on how shots are suppose to be made, i want discuss on a training schedule and other things i should prepare prior to tournaments and competitions.

4. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    focus on the quality of the training so 15 hours a week that should be alright, make the most of it focus on consistincy and perfecting your shots even more, footwork as well as fitness as well as stragety too. Most likley you will do quite a bit of multi shuttle since that is really benificial i find personally but yeah take it easy and dont try to rush the process.

5. jchan04

jchan04 Regular Member

oh yeah! i agree that consistency is important. i remember my dad said that when practicing, you must make sure that 14/15 times the shot goes to the same spot. so i'll have to buy 15 shuttles and make sure they land on the same spot.

yeah i feel confident in my fitness level and footwork approach. however i must confess that i lack the theory and strategies behind it. in a doubles games i can have smooth rotation with players of knowledge of the doubles routine, however i know theres more indepth stuff. for example being patient and create holes in your oppositions' formation. i've seen this done. players will play all driving shots to one particular side and then will explosively attack the other side to throw them off or change the pace. i guess i have to go over with a coach.

oh no, i'm not preparing for a short-term tournament. this is for life! this is my lifestyle! i think im going to do this long term! 10 years down the road.:D nothing is good when its rush, unless you're talking about american football.

6. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    yup consistincy is key, but when practicing dont try to force the perfect shot you gotta let it happen on its own. cause when you try to force a shot it doesnt really work to well, it will come naturally when practicing might hit drops high at 1st but in time they will get tighter and tighter etc.

thats good your confidient in your fitness and footwork but its never a bad time to do either can always improve both at any level of play. stragaty is the bes tone to go over and its more incorperating it into a game, i know people who know what to do but cant put it into play when in a tournament or stuff like that.

Yup just saying though like i know its for the long term but yeah some people woudl want it to happen all now and have that huge improvement but your not like that you know you have to take it easy and work hard and it will come.

7. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    jchan, i'm often in the same boat as you concerning tactics which are more in depth. we simply lack the experience a lot of older players have. but there's still ways of getting to the bottom of how to play shots, when and how.

the most important question to ask ourselves, is WHY? why stand up so close to service line when receiving in doubles? why is playing cross court shots sometimes dangerous? even when going through pro video games, ask yourself why the players are doing that. what are they trying to achieve?

my coach has always been trying to get me to think for myself. it's easy to get told what to do, but until you truly understand why you're doing it, it's not learnt.

8. xshadow134x

xshadow134x Regular Member

so true. the coaches that ive had always told me not to do backhand because it's secondary to overhand because it doesn't have has much power as an overhead shot. if u can get to the bird fast enough, ALWAYS use overhead

9. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    This is my theory.
    If you have the time to stop setup and hit a backhand, you had more then enough time and movement to hit a much more effective/controlled overhead shot.

Unless your backhand is similiar strenth/control to taufiks then it should only be considered and emergency/backup shot when you are absolutely stretched or out of position.