Terms used when we talk about Badminton Techniques and Training (Strokes/Shots)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by chris-ccc, Aug 2, 2010.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Tap, Kill and Flick

For me, the following terms have these meaning:

* Tap = A softer, but a controlled stroke.
    * Kill = A hard-hitting downward "wild" stroke.
    * Flick = An upward wrist stroke (directing the shuttlecock higher than horizontal - at any degrees with an upward elevation).

For the flat shot executed that travels in a flat manner, I use the terms:-
    "Dab" (when executed in front of one's body), and
    "Drive" (when executed from either sides of one's body).

Yes, our Badminton terms usage can be very different worldwide. That's why I started this thread. As mentioned in Post #1 :

#181 chris-ccc, Feb 21, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
    Simeon likes this.
  2. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

I'm no pro. But it's the 1st time i heard something call 'dab'

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Shots from in front of their bodies in a flat manner just over the net-tape

'
    Nice. :):):)

When Doubles players are doing their warm-up before their match, they spend some time sharpening their shots executed from in front of their bodies in a flat manner just over the net-tape back and forth; In Malaysia, what do you call that stroke?

4. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

I don't know. Like I said, I'm no pro. Drives maybe ? :p

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Drives and Dabs

Yes, many BCers call them "Drives". :):):)

But here, we distinguish between the strokes taken whether in front of one's body, and/or from the side of one's body.

As a professional coach, I tell my trainees the "Dab" is a very useful shot to be used in Doubles. They spend much time to get to train to play it well (with maximum power).

6. Fhuang1

Fhuang1 New Member

Some one has brush, same?

Brush - a soft brushing shot. 2 opposing players are challenging each other at netplay (it reminds me of a Table Tennis shot). it is great to brush the shuttlecock over the net quickly. It is also possible to brush the feathers (not necessarily the cork) to send the shuttlecock over the net.

maybe when follow through over the net is the difference.

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Brush

You are correct. :):):)

Thank you for reminding us about this 'Brush' stroke (while players are at netplay).

We shall add it in to our list of terms.

#187 chris-ccc, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Brush (at netplay)

* Alley = The area between the tram lines (the 2 side lines and/or the 2 back lines).
    * Around-the-Head Forehand Shot = A stroke striking the shuttlecock high above our head on the backhand side using a forehand grip.
    * Back Tram Lines = The area between the last 2 lines at the back of the court.
    * Base Position = (For Singles Games) is the middle position between the net and the back line, and the middle position between the side lines.
    * Block = A shot hit by a racket-head swung with little or no movement at all. A "Block Return" of a "Smash" is most common.
    * Boleh = "Yes, we can" in Malaysian. It is yelled/cheered to players to encourage them to play better.
    * Bounce = A "Dribble" when we meet the shuttlecock 10cm below the net tape.
    * Brush = A softer "Swipe" striking the shuttlecock with a follow-through of the racket-head over the net into the opponent's court during the "Dribble".
    * Carry = A scooping action on a shuttlecock during a stroke production. Some Australians call it a "Scoop".
    * Clear = Any shot played upwards (higher than the racket head held high/up by our opponent.
    * Cut = "Slice" A shot made when we hit the side of the cork of the shuttlecock to cause the feathers to rotate.
    * Deception = To fool and/or to wrong foot our opponent. Make him/her think we are executing a particular shot, but we are playing another one.
    * Defensive Clear = An overhead or underarm "Clear" executed to our opponent's "Back Tram Lines"; allowing us more time to return to our "Base" position.
    * Dribble = Any shot played from ones' own "Fore Court" to the opponents' forecourt with the shuttle passing in close proximity to the net tape.
    * Drill = A repetitious exercise as a means of learning and perfecting our skills (strokes, footwork, etc, ...).
    * Drive Return of Smash = A shot which is driven back quickly before our opponent is ready to intercept it or to return it.
    * Drive Service = A "Service" that is hit hard and fast, hoping to pass past a receiver before he/she is ready to intercept it.
    * Dropshot = A shot played from our overhead position to the "Fore Court" of our opponent's court.
    * Fancy Play/Trick = A hit/shot done with an unusual stroke action (a strange/unusual shot).
    * Floating Base = The "Base" area considered as best for us to reach any area/corners to return the shuttlecock during a "Rally".
    * Fore Court = The area between the "Service Line" and the net.
    * Jia You = "Add Fuel" in Chinese (Mandarin). It is yelled/cheered to players to become stronger physically and mentally.
    * Kill = Hitting the shuttlecock in a downward direction to opponent's court with maximum power hoping to finish a "Rally".
    * Lift = A "Clear" which is played with an underarm stroke.
    * Mid Court = The area between the "Fore Court" and the "Back Tram Lines".
    * Overhead Backhand Stroke = A stroke striking the shuttlecock high above our head from our backhand side, with a backhand grip.
    * Overhead Forehand Stroke = A stroke striking the shuttlecock high above our head with a forehand grip.
    * Overhead Stroke = A stroke striking the shuttlecock high above our head.
    * Punch Clear = An overhead "Clear" executed to just clear over the highest reach that can be intercepted by our opponent.
    * Push = A shot hit by a racket-head swung at constant velocity. A Doubles Low Service can be performed with a "Push".
    * Service = The first stroke or shot played in a "Rally".
    * Shadow Badminton = A drill performed without using the shuttlecock.
    * Shot = How the shuttlecock travels. It describes the trajectory of the path taken by the shuttlecock.
    * Slice = A shot made when we hit the side of the cork of the shuttlecock. "Slice Smash" and "Slice Dropshot" are most common.
    * Sliced Flat Clear = A "Punch Clear" executed with spin to the shuttlecock; to slow it down quicker after passing over the receiver.
    * Sliced Smash = Smashing by hitting at the side of the shuttlecock (to cause the feathers to rotate); causing it to dip down quicker.
    * Spinning Netplay = A shot played near the net to our opponent's "Fore Court", creating the shuttlecock to spin (rotating) over the net.
    * Stick Smash = A "Smash" generated by the wrist with little arm movement involved.
    * Stroke = How a player executes a shot. It relates to our stroke action. It describes our body action.
    * Swipe = A sweeping blow or stroke striking the shuttlecock with a follow-through of the racket-head over the net into the opponent's court during the "Dribble".
    * Tactics = The art of arranging one's game-play, in order to win or gain an advantage over one's opponents.
    * Tumble = A shot played near the net to the our opponent's "Fore Court", creating the shuttlecock to somersault once or more times over the net.
    * Wall Drill = A "Drill" for perfecting our strokes by hitting against the wall.
    * Wood Shot = When the shuttlecock is struck by the frame of the racket-head. "Frame Shot" is now gradually replacing this term.
    * XD Push Shot = Pushing the shuttlecock to the "Side Tram Lines"; directing it to fall between the front and the back players in Doubles.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Dribble is quite an outdated expression. It's for when the shuttle catches the top of the net, slows significantly and then 'dribbles over the net'.

There is no alley. It's side tramlines or rear tramlines.

There are very few situations of underarm clear. Under arm clears are described better as lifts.

10. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

One I'm claiming as my own:

the pipe - the triangle formed when one's racket hand is placed on that hip, a target for smashing.

Smashes hit here are said to be "down the pipe", and victims of these are said to have been "piped":).

Engage is also popular with us - to take on an opponent in a net exchange.

11. sange

sange Regular Member

clerk
    the explaination about dribble is aproximate for straight net shot in chinese放网, what is the difference between the net shot and dribble?

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

It was from keith.roche (Post #4), I heard of a "Dribble" at Badminton for the first time. Perhaps keith.roche can explain better.

The different terminology used in different countries and/or used by different coaches may mean the same thing. That's why we thought we should start this thread to describe what we mean (as commonly used from our special corners of the world).

We talked about this with Gollum (read Post #43).

13. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

never seen that definition for a clear

seems like you are saying a clear isn't necessarily overhead and a lift is a type of clear.

In vocabulary i'm familiar with, a clear is always an overhead shot. A lift is not a clear, and a clear is not a lift.

But you are in australia so maybe one can expect some things to be somewhat upside down

the terminology i'm familiar with is more useful 'cos it distinguishes more, and with one word.

Do you have a source for your terminology re clear and lift?

Simeon likes this.
  14. Avian Rodrigues

Avian Rodrigues Regular Member

Naoooooo this is pure warfare!! lol