Victor Brave Sword 12 (review)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ucantseeme, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Swiftlegend

Swiftlegend Regular Member

Student
    Ye I would have preffered 3U but thats not what I got, wasn't specific enough but i'm sure extra grips will have the same effect.

2. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    I definitely recommend ppl try the BS in 3U, even if you're a 4U user. I've used an equal amount of both 4U and 3U rackets recently, and one of the reasons I prefer some rackets in 4U is that in many cases it equals a quicker racket with no discernible drop in punch. However the Braveswords are so quick anyway, you can carry a bit more weight without sacrificing speed and with that you get a more solid feel and punch.

Gpower likes this.
  3. alanwong76

alanwong76 Regular Member

Interior Deco
    I wanted to buy BS12 3U but what if compare to MX-80 4U.. any big different ? Thanks for any advice..

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Just get the 4u mx80! It's a classic racket for doubles. Speed, power, accuracy all in one racket.

5. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    You could do a lot worse ;)

6. alanwong76

alanwong76 Regular Member

Interior Deco
    means........ ??

7. riffsuad

riffsuad Regular Member

engineer
    i just bought another victor racket bs12 yesterday. strung with v850@28lbs prestretch. will see tonight it performance and whether it suitable with or not.

8. mazdaD

mazdaD Regular Member

Student
    A very quick question here~for those owners having taiwan coded rackets~can u tell me wat code are u having? TWB or TWI? i just bought a BS 12 from taiwan with the help of my friend~and when i checked the code, it's different from the code in my mx80. afraid of buying some counterfeit products><

9. matsu_des

matsu_des Regular Member

Student
    Took my new BS12 out for the first time today, strung with vs-850 (blue) at 27lbs. I gotta say, I have mixed feeling about this racket (so far).

Initial thoughts: Coming from MX80, SW35 & N50, I gotta say this racket is stupidly fast and headlight.
    Clears and smashes felt weak as there was very little weight in the head, possibly because I was hitting them near the top as I had timing issues trying to adjust.

However, now and again i'd manage to hit a sweet smash where the flexible shaft's kickpoint kicked at the perfect time which, I can only describe as a whip, sent the shuttle zipping through the air. My friend even complimented on the speed of that shot. Maybe I just need to adjust to the flexibility because i'm so used to stiff rackets.

When it came to defending and drives, the racket was a breeze to manoeuvre, possibly the fastest racket I've ever used, However, I felt that the lightness of the head wasn't helping me flick the shuttle to the back of the court from weak shots when I had to generate my own power. Defending powerful shots were fine though.
    One problem that I had was sometimes i'd completely miss blocks because I literally couldn't feel where the head was.

Anyways, these are only initial thoughts, maybe when my timing gets better and the strings settle, i'll start liking it more. I trust the praises of this rackets because so many people in this forum have complimented it while saying that it takes time to get used to. Hopefully I can start to enjoy using it as well.

Anyone else experience problems like this with their first time using it??

10. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

matsu_des,

are all your rackets 3u?

11. matsu_des

matsu_des Regular Member

Student
    SW35, N50 and BS12 are. MX80 is 4U

12. limb7567

limb7567 Regular Member

student
    Switching from vt80 and 8dx, despite this racket being less stiffer, I find bs12 make it up with its speed and ease of use. It cut through air like a whip. I usually string at 25lbs. To make up for the racket flex, I upped the tension to 27lbs. Overall, it doesn't feel that much flexier than my 8dx tbh.Anyway, where do u source ur vs850 string in uk? I've been looking and couldn't find any.

13. fmqpt791004

fmqpt791004 Regular Member

College Student
    My first impression was same as yours.
    Try more repulsive and flexible strings like BG66um or Kason P-75.
    I felt like I have more power from changing string from Ashaway Micro flex strung at 21lbs to Kason P-75 strung at 24lbs.

Yes, the head is light, but I think I can overcome with flexibility.
    It is very aerodynamic, so it doesn't get my arm or shoulder so tired in comparison of other med flex rackets.

14. matsu_des

matsu_des Regular Member

Student

I bought my BS12 from sohubuy so just told them to put vs850 on because i heard they go well with BS series.

If you want to purchase vs850 strings, you can look at badmintonshoponline.com, they sell them for a reasonable price and shipping.

15. matsu_des

matsu_des Regular Member

Student
    Maybe when the tension goes down, i will go back to nanogy98. They have always served me well and are my favourite strings. Amazing repulsion.

I don't really like the kason p-75 strings tbh. They move about a lot and feel quite spongy and I had no luck finding the sweetspot and getting any power out of them.
    One time, i hit them after they were newly strung at 26lbs and they snapped down the middle.
    I haven't purchased another set since. Well since I found the nbg98's that's all I like to use now.

16. limb7567

limb7567 Regular Member

student
    thanks. enjoy your bs12.

17. matsu_des

matsu_des Regular Member

Student
    This thread seems dead :confused:

But anyways, i just wanna share with you guys my progress with the BS12.
    Took a while to get used to, partially my fault for switching to my MX80 or N50 whenever I was about to play a competitive game because I didn't want to throw the BS12 into the deep end so quickly. But in the last 3 sessions, I didn't, and stuck with the BS12. And I gotta say, wow, today my smashes and defence were going sweetly. In fact, i hit what I think is the fastest smash i've ever hit ! ! ! No joke
    Not only was the power there, but the angles that I was getting was nice; and I was also picking up ridiculous defensive shots.
    I think that the new found smash power is mainly down to changing the way I swing, because I am usually used to stiff rackets, it felt really different. However, i've started to whip the shuttle with a really fast swing, especially when stick smashing and the shuttles are flying down like rockets.
    The only problem I was experiencing was with the push shots and defensive lifts. They didn't have much meat behind it as it was flexible and quite head-light, and the accuracy wasn't there, i just think that with my stiffer rackets like the MX80, the shuttle was going exactly where I wanted it to.

That said, I gotta confess that this BS12 was simply purchased to give me an idea of what the BS-LYD would be like as it is also a brave sword, therefore I shall be purchasing that soon. It shows on the website that it is slightly head-heavier than the BS12 and also slightly stiffer, therefore, I'll be expecting even more power from it and perhaps my accuracy and defensive lift problem will be fixed because of the new specs. The MX80 being slightly head heavy but super stiff was nice, but hard to handle when tired, so hopefully the BS-LYD will be just like that with slightly less power, but faster and easier to use.

18. riffsuad

riffsuad Regular Member

engineer
    this just my opinion, this problem happen bcoz the design of frame at left and right side was too stiff. may be due to material selection or the strenght of frame structure to achieve "shockless" technology. if using Yonex term, this racket is categorise in high repulsion but very little Hold....just my 2cent.

19. matsu_des

matsu_des Regular Member

Student
    Oh, you are very observant haha, I never noticed. So i guess it's like the nanospeed series.
    I loved the nanospeed 9900 and I think that the BS-LYD will be like that. The BS12 perhaps is more like a nanospeed 6000 or something. Guess there only one way to find out ! :D

20. riffsuad

riffsuad Regular Member

engineer
    yup, bsLYD is added a little weight to racket head and increase a little stiffness to the shaft. may be the problem have solved.