Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Top notch argument there mate. He's alone on court and only his play counts (haha), and him winning one match against a much older FHF who has won 3 OG medals really proves he's the superior player. Brilliant. If this were satire, I could give an A for effort, but I fear you're actually serious there.

2. edogaktop

edogaktop Regular Member

Come on man, I am also a fan of the Indonesian pair (I am an Indonesian too after all), but to say injured Gideon > uninjured Zhang Nan? Zhang Nan is probably one the most technically complete players (if not THE) in MD currently. You can pair him with anyone (including Liu Cheng) and he will still make it to the top.

Popin likes this.
  3. ngaceng

ngaceng New Member

injured marcus (with kevin) beat uninjured zhang nan (with liu cheng) at ssf final 2017

uninjured marcus (with kevin) beat uninjured fu haifeng (with zheng siwei) at malaysia open final 2017

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Uninjured Marcus also didnt make the WC final...FHF won 4....hmmm.
    Could age difference play a role in sports? Its a mystery.

5. edogaktop

edogaktop Regular Member

I have been watching this thread for a while, and maybe (only a suggestion here mate), you want to turn off your notification on this thread instead of replying all of the crazy fanboyish-comments. You know Marcus/Kevin's thread is full of fanboys, and you know hate talk will be responded with more hate talks, yet here you are replying to all kind of negative posts.

If you want to play the critic's role, maybe it will make better use of your time if you spend it elaborating what can be improved from their game, point out which technique Marcus lacks in particular, and maybe record yourself explain the alternatives (or refer to a video link/article etc.). I saw the video of you playing the other day, and obviously you are better than most of the more casual BC members here (like me) so any insights will be very welcome.

Maybe you think you are stating the obvious when you make statements like "Marcus has a bad technique", but to most people, this kind of statements feels very negative, especially after you made it very clear that you do not like Kevin's attitude on/off the courts.

This is only a friendly suggestion. Do not like it, carry on doing what you have always been doing.

Or maybe you are aiming to that 5,000 post count? /s

stanleyfm, yamsyams, r3v0lv3r and 3 others like this.
  6. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

We can never know how serious the injuries that players carry are. But if you want to argue that way: Zhang Nan was also injured. Didn't you notice the heavy strapping on his elbow and right knee? And come on dude, you can't be serious comparing these two Indonesian players with legends like FHF and Zhang Nan. Admittedly, they had a phenomenal year, but they are not in the same league of achievements, maybe they will be one day. Maybe Kevin, he is still very young. But don't forget that FHF is very old now; would make no sense to compare them now. Ridiculous actually, it's as if I were to say Viktor Axelsen is better than Taufik, because I'm sure he beats Taufik now.

7. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

The heavy strappings is not really injury especially in the hand. Its just to tighten the muscle to allow for more smashing power, imo. In fact, if you dont use it, its easier to get injured. He should be using the one like Siwei though.

Well, then 3 olympics are not comparable to 30 SS. In normal circumstances, SS gives you money and olympic does not. So who is to say SS is less important than olympics? what more WC..

As far as i know, even the great RogerFederer didnt win Olympic, do anybody cares? No firstly because it made not much money anyway.

LeeYongDae didnt win Olympic in MD but one can say, he achieves more than FuHaifeng and is more famous. and FHF without AsianGames gold compared to 3 Medals(2 gold or maybe more next year) for HendraSetiawan means HS is the most complete MD players of alltime, imo.

8. edogaktop

edogaktop Regular Member

A bit off topic here, but can anyone enlighten me why LYD is considered one of the best? In all of his games, I never find him as cunning as setiawan/zhang nan, and obviously not as fast/explosive like kevin. He also has a mediocre smash. Good defense maybe, but that's it.

Very good player yes, but is he hall of fame quality? Or maybe there is something that I don't notice?

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

9. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    What's good about all the technique talk if they can't beat Gideon? Minions dominated all of them this year. They play to win titles, not to compete to have the best technique. At least thats it for Indonesian players. Does any of the mentioned player has 7 SS titles, player of the year, double hattrick and so succesful making million dollars this year?

I suggest you to come up with actual tips to beat Minions. Now thats more useful. Not the hoax one like Boe though. Most of the Danish pairs were crushed by the Minions latter half of this year.

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

He had unbelievable reading of the game, and very decisive front court play. Look at the 2008 AE SF for a perfect example - single-handedly decided that match.

stanleyfm and edogaktop like this.
  11. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Do you really want to go down that road?

Fu Haifeng:
    titles: 43 titles (8 majors, not counting Sudirman Cup/Thomas Cup)
    superseries: 16 titles

Zhang Nan:
    titles: 42 titles (8 majors, not counting Sudirman Cup/Thomas Cup)
    superseries: 31 titles (over two disciplines, of course)

Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo:
    titles: 16 titles (no majors!)
    superseries: 10 titles

Marcus Fernaldi Gideon:
    titles: 17 titles (no majors!)
    superseries: 11 titles

I’m with you, I don’t value majors to the extend others on here do, but you can see from the statistics it doesn’t have to do with majors. You can look at the Superseries won or overall titles and they are still no match for FHF or ZN right now. If you add Kevin’s and Marcus’ SS titles together they still don’t have as many as ZN.

You can have a look at the Superseries statistics from Wikipedia and you’ll see that the two Indonesians are way below Zhang Nan, Lee Yong Dae, Fu Haifeng and even the two Danes Boe/Mog.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_badminton_players_with_the_most_Superseries_titles

For Kevin this is understandable, he’s still very young and pretty much at the beginning of his real international career, but for Marcus it’s quite significant.

You see, in my opinion, you can’t compare players with an age difference of over 10 years or so. I mean, sure, you can, but it wouldn’t be fair. You can never know how many titles the younger ones are going to win, but claiming they are in the same league already is ridiculous and simply wrong. No doubt about it.

samkool likes this.
  12. melon94

melon94 Regular Member

we already talk about gideon's weakness, but I bet kevin have ones too...what do you guys think kevin main weakness right now that he can improve ? (beside his attitude of course :D)

13. r3v0lv3r

r3v0lv3r Regular Member

Agreed on LYD.. he has a lot of similarity to Hendra I would say (who in turn I think is similar to Tony G) .
    While he is not flashy, you can see clearly that he's very very good at the front court, his shot placing and positioning is impeccable.

I think, sometimes people see flair players and automatically think they are better than those who is not.
    Again, borrowing an analogy from football, it's like comparing Xavi and Ronaldinho, both are great with their own distinct styles.

14. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

One thing I noticed beside his high risk shots is that when he smashes or goes all out on shots like even drives or drops sometimes he completely leaves the court with one or two steps. He is super fast and still recovers but I think if he could improve this his recovery would be even faster.

melon94 likes this.
  15. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

But we are talking about Mens double , comparing ZN mix with MD is comparing apple to Durian. Which one is easier to pick?

If ZN is good he would have beaten Kevin in Dubai, why not? Why have 1-3 record?

Then from beginning, why people compare them with Era of 8 years ago?

If badminton is more popular and it is i bet the MD these times are much more competitve than the past. Like Kevin said the top 20 anybody can beat anybody, I dont think so in the past where only top 5 play amongst themselves. They are just more focused thats why they rarely lost in final.

16. ericksakti

ericksakti Regular Member

I think this argument is going nowhere lol,
    Lets just put it this way for now,

For now Kevin Marcus is the BEST current MD that is still playing right NOW, and I think everyone can agree on that.

Lets give them several more years before we can compare them with the legends in badminton world. They have the prospect and chances to be great, but we things remain to be seen before we can fully conclude that they can be compared with the legends.

stanleyfm, j4ckie, samkool and 2 others like this.
  17. r3v0lv3r

r3v0lv3r Regular Member

I think for Kevin, he needs to improve his attitude indeed. Showing your emotions through fist pumps or shouting is great ( I don't see how this should be considered not professional), however showing a somewhat disrespectful gesture (like purposely missing a shot, or grinning/laughing in their face) is not cool.
    While I don't think he's doing it on purpose, I do think it will be best if he curbs it a bit (So long as this does not affect his game sharpness, if not, just continue on Kev :D).

Technically, to be honest, I don't really see any flaw at the moment. His smashes are not that strong, however, as his game does not revolve around him being a big hitter, I don't really see this as something that he needs to improve massively as well.
    The only thing missing, I think, is to add that bit more of consistency in his shot making,as I see that sometimes he can still be quite erratic.

melon94 likes this.
  18. r3v0lv3r

r3v0lv3r Regular Member

Well said mate :), and I do think this is what the majority thinks at the moment.

19. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Hendra Setiawan > FHF = LYD > Kevin currently.

Hendra is the most complete player and he won more titles when it wasnt even SS ( before 2007). He win each of everything i guess.

But from gameplay, Kevin is the most exciting of them all. Much more attractive and watchable.

20. r3v0lv3r

r3v0lv3r Regular Member

Think what we should understand is that comparing player A and player B is not the same as comparing pair A and pair B. What you've stated just now is regarding Minions as a pair and not a specific player. Some are pointing differences that they are seeing between players.
    But anyway as what the last post said, the Minions are the best THIS YEAR, and there's no disputing that.. let's see if they can maintain this status for many years to come.
    And, if they do, this is still not the same as them individually being the best there is/ever will be. But that as a pair they are truly a great pairing.
    Assessing pairs can't be done individually, not like singles, and vice versa, or else we'll see a pairing of LCW & LD as unbeatable ;)