Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You should thank me for the deletions. It saves you.

Twbb and badlove like this.
  2. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    Freedom of speech mate. But thanks that you kept this forum peaceful. :)

3. edogaktop

edogaktop Regular Member

Is this what you meant (@1:45, 2nd and 3rd return, especially the 3rd)

4. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    Funny that most of the players he mentioned has been defeated by Minions. It takes two to tango. Gideon = Minions.

5. r3v0lv3r

r3v0lv3r Regular Member

Most definitely WC>>SS/SSP, just that compared to the other international event, it's just not that "important". But yeah, being announced as the "World Champion" does have a nice right to it :D

6. melon94

melon94 Regular Member

I hope he learnt from ahsan (since he's also not that tall) on how to be more effective with his attacking game from the back (in general, not just his smash) especially when the tempo is slower.

r3v0lv3r likes this.
  7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I only mentioned guys that I'd consider clear examples, where the difference is quite large. Some others I'd have to take another look at to judge, or see to recognize (some of the longer Indonesian names I dont remember, especially when the players dont have a lot of final appearances).
    Others would be YYS, LYD, in some ways FHF, CY, Hong Wei, Shin Baek Cheol, Kim Ki Jung, Ivan Sozonov, and you could definitely make an argument for Sonoda as well.

8. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    Why compare Gideon with players he has beaten back and forth? :D:DMost of the players you mentioned were beaten in straight sets. No point of further discussing this. ;)

9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

That's a very simplified view of badminton and not really applicable in the real world. Firstly, technique is just one facet of what defines a players level, athleticism, tactical prowess, court awareness, reflexes all play a role too.
    Secondly, even if I had said that those guys were stronger overall (which I did not), in doubles it is quite possible to beat a stronger player if your partner is better than both of you (or if his partner is much worse), and in badminton in general you will sometimes beat stronger players/pairs because you're a mismatch for them stylistically.
    To make it quite clear even for you, I'm not saying that the Minions are just lucky when they win or anything of the sort. My point is that the argument "He beat that guy in doubles, his technique must be better" is fundamentally flawed.

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

To be quite honest, I dont think Ahsan is particularly effective :D pretty much just all-out smashed whenever he got the chance from what I remember. Setiawan is definitely someone to take a look at, for someone with a somewhat weak smash he was damn dangerous for sure.
    Jung was very dangerous as well. Similar physical attributes would make him a great example for Gideon to learn from. He also had a similar role in his partnership, being the stable rock, allowing his partner to go for the higher risk plays.

11. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    Nahh, Gideon now is definitely better than Mogensen, Kam/Son, Ivan/Soz, Hong Wei, SBC, KKJ. None of them have won 7 SS in a year.

12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yes, he has won a couple tournaments, which means he is beyond critique, and the best in every single aspect of the game. Exactly. That's how the world, and more specifically the game of badminton works!
    And Ko Sung Hyun is better than the Minions in all regards, since he won a WC title, and they didn't!!!!1!11!1 /s

Since you're either trolling or actually incapable of comprehending my previous argument, this is the point where it gets too tedious to continue. Either way, good luck in your future endeavours, you'll need it :)

13. melon94

melon94 Regular Member

I think ahsan has pretty good set up from the back, sometimes he just drop the shuttle close to net 2-3 times before go full power smash. definitely has so much variation compared to gideon. and his smash are definitely harder to defend too since he's looking for angle more and mixing up the pace pretty well. sometimes I feel like gideon focus too much on power rather than angle, on the other hand kevin seems going for angle more when he's attacking from the back, my favorite shot from him in the final was probably at the second game when the score was 7-6...if that was gideon I'm sure he's gonna go full blast :D

14. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

This is hilarious

KoSungHyun better than minions?

Lol..

15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

It was sarcasm. The '/s' indicates the end of the sarcastic part. I thought that, coupled with the '!!!11!1!1', would be obvious enough...

He was a successful player though. Maybe couldve picked a more obvious example, such as someone winning a GPG tournament.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It's called sarcasm...

Maybe a bit too deep for comprehension.

17. ngaceng

ngaceng New Member

injured marcus > uninjured zhang nan ------- ssf final 2017

uninjured marcus > uninjured fu haifeng ------- malaysia open final 2017

a weak technique player becomes number 1 in the world and wins 7 ss titles in one year? what a weak statement

18. vincedba

vincedba Regular Member

dba
    Carsten Mogensen, Ivanov, Sonoda have better technique and defense than Gideon???? come on mate dont make us laugh.

19. vincedba

vincedba Regular Member

dba

See @45:38, see how Gideon defending Boe's smash, I do not see any overswing as someone here stated. At that same time please see how Boe's smash, now that is I think overswing. See also the whole rally not even a single smash make a point from the Danes, Although most of the smash return from Kevin but Gideon need to be given credit he was also defending some good one.

Is this how the people here call this "weak" technique??? What a joke!!

20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Mogensen is better in all technical aspects than Fernaldi, in 2012 he had unbelievable defense and top-notch attacking play. Ivanov is certainly better playing down. I said you could make an argument for Sonoda, not that it's definitely the case.