Canadian Television Coverage = None?

Discussion in 'Olympics BEIJING 2008' started by t3tsubo, Aug 6, 2008.

1. george333

george333 Regular Member

Associate Director
    I had that zipcode thing come up too, i don't remember if that was because i opened IE before I launched that program or not, but just google a city in the states and their zipcodes and fill that in.

2. ShadowFury

ShadowFury Regular Member

lol for the zip code, use the trusty:90210 and use time warner cable

3. elderplayer

elderplayer Regular Member

4. keebler_elf

keebler_elf Regular Member

Pro shop employee
    zip code

Hey guys if you need a zip code type in 92120 which is San DIego and use Cox communications digital that is your best bet. Best of luck with watching the matches. They have been great so far. Many nail biters. Anna Rice is coming up soon she is one of my favorite singles players. Best of luck to her!!!

5. morphy

morphy Regular Member

6. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    thank you jatsui - thank you elderplayer
    much better than NBC

7. keebler_elf

keebler_elf Regular Member

Pro shop employee
    Wow thank you jatsui and other helpers. This video feed is way better than NBC and it doesn't cut out at all. Thanks so much From san diego USA

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    canadian writeup on anna rice
    ---
    Anna Rice embraces badminton 'ambience' in Beijing Vancouver native overcomes death of grandmother to leave tourney with no regrets

Last Updated: Monday, August 11, 2008 | 12:08 PM ET Comments1Recommended29CBC Sports Anna Rice hopes her performance in Beijing will inspire other Canadians to take up badminton. (Nick Laham/Getty Images)For Anna Rice, there's no shame in losing.

Rice, who turns 28 next week, bowed out of the women's badminton competition at the Beijing Gameson on Monday, dropping a straight-set decision to China's Lu Lan.

Despite the loss, the Vancouver native and two-time Olympian leaves the tournament with no regrets, as she felt privileged to compete in a country where badminton is heralded and followed passionately by fans.

"This has been an incredible tournament for me and today was bittersweet," Rice told CBC. "Losing was pretty disappointing, but to walk in that stadium and hear the roar of the crowd, even if it was against me, it was really incredible."

Rice admitted she fed off the excitement of the Chinese fans.

"They can really appreciate what you're doing technically or physically, and that's really cool," said Rice. "In Canada, that's not always the case, and in Athens even, sometimes people had to look at the scoreboard to know who was winning or losing, so definitely there's an appreciation here that makes the ambience really special."

Overcomes grandmother's loss
    The Canadian also performed in Beijing with a heavy heart — her grandmother, Joyce, passed away shortly after she arrived for the Games.

Rice didn't let the loss of her grandmother negatively effect her play. Instead, she drew inspiration from it.

"Within 10 minutes of arriving at the Olympic Village, I found out she passed away, so that was very emotional. … but like one of my good friends said, 'Well, she wanted to be front and centre, and that was the only way she could,'" explained Rice.

"In my first-round win, I narrowly escaped defeat, so I pointed up to her and she helped me out there."

Rice hopes that her performance in Beijing will lead to a greater appreciation for badminton among Canadian sports fans, as well as inspire the next generation of Canadian players.

"Somebody asked me after the match why is China so good [at badminton] and why isn't Canada so good, and I said they believe they can be the best in the world, while we grow up and believe we can be top hockey players, but we don't grow up thinking we can be No. 1 in the world of badminton," said Rice.

"They do that here in China starting at two or three years of age. It's a very deep, social conscience here, and the more we can [adapt] that in Canada with badminton, the more youngsters will succeed."

9. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Well done Anna. Noticed her pointing to the heavens after her win over Eva Lee. No shame losing to Lu Lan. Just a scary thought that the upcoming batch of Canadian WS players are not up to scratch. *Sigh*

10. liddokun

liddokun Regular Member

Student =D
    I was shocked to turn on the TV this morning and find CBC covering Lu Lan and Anna Rice's match.

11. morphy

morphy Regular Member

or : we grow up and believe we want to be top hockey players, but we don't grow up thinking we want to be No. 1 in the world of badminton

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

must be from a flood of complaint emails:p

13. liddokun

liddokun Regular Member

Student =D
    It's kind of a shame that the only match they choose to broadcast is of Anna Rice's losing one. Perhaps some Canadians that aren't into badminton were watching at the time, and saw her lose, and just thought that Canada has no badminton team. That would be horrible.

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i didnt see it. Did cbc has their own correspondent for commentation for that match?

15. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Not true. They have broadcast several times already including Anna's win over Eva Lee, and matches involving other players. Check the schedule first before dispensing untruths :rolleyes:

16. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    canadian badminton on tv

well well well on channel 6 here in calgary (cbc) there showing badminton yes its only womens singles i know but its not to bad its anna rice and her match so if you guys are wanting to watch cbc has badminton on now. the match is almost over with lu lan leading so better tune in quick.

17. liddokun

liddokun Regular Member

Student =D
    Yes, true. I only saw the Lu Lan/Anna Rice match broadcasted, and not the other ones. My bad. However, I watched that match with a bittersweet feeling in my heart, knowing that Anna Rice would inevitably lose, however, quite proud that a Canadian badminton player made it to the third round.

18. crazlunatic

crazlunatic Regular Member

da badminton coverage in canada is mediocre, u cannot watch the good matches at all on cbc. only 1 badminton court, pathetic, and they pick the worst ones

19. crazlunatic

crazlunatic Regular Member

how to watch badminton thread for Canadians

The CBC coverage is medicore for Canadians, so I've started this thread, because I am having difficulty watching some good badminton like many others.

Here is how you can watch some live badminton. These do not work for me (which is why I'm making this post) but they work for others.

www.cctvolympics.com (CCTV official streaming website)
    www.cbc.ca/olympics/livevideo (Official CBC Stream)
    http://www.tvants-ppstream.com/ (TVAnts program to access CCTV streams)
    http://2008.cctv.com/06/01/05/index.shtml (Another CCTV stream website)

Please tell me how you guys are watching badminton online. I tried the Ultrasurf method to access NBC but it doesn't work. Apparently NBC and BBC have the best badminton streams. Thanks.

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

cctv5 is black out for most regions. I watch with success thru nbc streaming, dont know why ultrasurf doesnt work for u, it's working for me, knock on wood. CBC is 1% better than previous years, i did watch anna vs eva WS match using cbc.

#100 cooler, Aug 11, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2008